PDA

View Full Version : The Modchip Review Sham - Worrying for Newbs

wraggster
July 16th, 2006, 19:35
Yesterday it was highlighted to me that 2 sites had posted the same review and the second site even went as far as to watermark the images from the first review, now this brought outrage (not from us we just laughed :D) from members and visitors of both sites.

Well today the 2nd site has posted that the review was actually a Press Release that was sent out, now this is worrying, what the hells going on when a company is sending reviews out as press releases, the other worrying thing is that neither site really mentions this but they really promote the review.

Now this modchip isnt cheap and what the PSP scene needs is truthful and unbiased reviews because the price of these modchips can be up to $99 and more.

I wont mention the sites as most know who they are and theres probably more who posted this "Press Release Modchip Review" but be honest with the scene and your visitors.

Im sure other people will want to comment on this

shadowprophet
July 16th, 2006, 19:41
Yeah!! I know who they where :D

I love it :D !!!!!!!!

We will call them site D and site F, cause if they where being graded thats what they would be getting lol

I LOVE IT!!!!! HAHAHAHA

shinysuitman
July 16th, 2006, 19:42
you guys remember "snake oil" salesmen, from like the civil war era (in america. i know there aer a lot of euroean adn asian members here as well.) eff it. lets just say early 1800's. anyways, they would hire people to take the elixer and exclaim that it healed them or something. anywho, same thing. tho im pretty sure that this kind of advertisment is frowned upon, and even rejected in some business circles. ipod doesnt review their own product.

kinda makes me laugh.
the only thing that im afraid of is the psp scene turning into a total cecst pool of cheapness and lies. well, lets just hope that DCEMU keeps on bringing us quality news about this and a great environment to discuss such matters in as well =)

Briggzy11
July 16th, 2006, 19:43
Reviews are reviews, it really confuses me why people get angry...

...BUT ITS FUNNY hahahaha :D:D:D

At least DCEMU uses some proper people to host good news to us :D

wraggster
July 16th, 2006, 19:45
you know why both sites posted them as pure reviews dont you

$$$$$$$$$$

Briggzy11
July 16th, 2006, 19:55
Well not really a clue, I seen one website with the review I think you are specifying

BL4Z3D247
July 16th, 2006, 19:56

$$$$$$$$$$
YAHTZEE!!!

Zion
July 16th, 2006, 20:02
I think we all know one of them. I wont say who, but we all know them as the "copy & paste masters"

lol :D

modcase
July 16th, 2006, 20:19
lets see a unique review on the modchip from DCEMU :p
not to rock the boat, but wouldn't getting "paying for reviews" be the same as the posting affiliate links to lik-sang with "newly released" games whenever your RSS feed updates?

gangsta_psp
July 16th, 2006, 20:20
I go to that second site for giggles.

MalumEnSe
July 16th, 2006, 20:21

$$$$$$$$$$

You're so full of it and don't know WTH you're talking about. It came in on an email, there is no money involved.

Unlike the countless "reviews" you post about new products from Lik-Sang, Divineo, etc which are nothing but an ad with a ref link to make YOU money.

Hypocrites.

gangsta_psp
July 16th, 2006, 20:23
You're so full of it and don't know WTH you're talking about. It came in on an email, there is no money involved.

Unlike the countless "reviews" you post about new products from Lik-Sang, Divineo, etc which are nothing but an ad with a ref link to make YOU money.

Hypocrites.
I just talked with the PSP3D admin and yes it is an e-mail, but they are offering money too. Dont kid yourself.

MalumEnSe
July 16th, 2006, 20:25
I just talked with the PSP3D admin and yes it is an e-mail, but they are offering money too. Dont kid yourself.

Well then we're getting screwed because all we got was an email. I'll make sure to ask PSP3D about that...

EDIT: Yup, we got screwed.

Skye
July 16th, 2006, 20:28
None of us here are paid bub. Any refered links go to help pay for the whole Emulation64 network.

modcase
July 16th, 2006, 20:29
Eww.... paid reviews (hides)

Bossmanuk
July 16th, 2006, 20:33
Hmm...Wait a minute - Doesn't DCEMU post press releases copy/paste and other stuff?

I'd say 90% of stuff posted on DCEMU is a simple copy/paste job, whether it be a readme from a homebrew app, a press release, or news from another site.

Using this press release as an attack on other sites is uncalled for, I thought you had some morals Wragg.

Briggzy11
July 16th, 2006, 20:36
Wragg has taken the mickey out of sites that copy news COMPLETELY the same, if it is edited and changed then it is good news, news COMPLETELY copied is just stupid...

gangsta_psp
July 16th, 2006, 20:41
Wragg has taken the mickey out of sites that copy news COMPLETELY the same, if it is edited and changed then it is good news, news COMPLETELY copied is just stupid...
Not stupid just lazy.

Skye
July 16th, 2006, 20:45
Let anyone think what they want. They are just delusional. ;D

LiveWired
July 16th, 2006, 20:45
Yes you tell something up. LOL!!!!!!!1

gangsta_psp
July 16th, 2006, 20:54
Some of the things quickjump does makes me laugh. Some of it is just sickening.

MalumEnSe
July 16th, 2006, 20:55
Some of the things quickjump does makes me laugh. Some of it is just sickening.

Ditto on the hypocrisy here.

MalumEnSe
July 16th, 2006, 21:09
Well today the 2nd site has posted that the review was actually a Press Release that was sent out

BTW - had you actually bothered to READ the "review" before going on the offensive, you'd find that its not a review at all. Its a how-to. A fact sheet. No where does it review the product. Why should we not take information and images given to us by the manufacturers and post about it so readers can have more info about it? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that (other than the fact that you're upset that it wasn't sent to you too).

Now, as far as being paid to post such material, I agree - that's pretty shady. But since there was absolutely no payment involved with QJ's posting of it, its not really an issue (altho we feel a bit suckered. ;) ).

So, I have to wonder - other than your own personal bias, exactly why is this "news" on your site? It seems like the only time you can be bothered to post anything that isn't a copy-paste from a readme/other site is when you're crying about something.

10shu
July 16th, 2006, 21:25
Hmm...Wait a minute - Doesn't DCEMU post press releases copy/paste and other stuff?

I'd say 90% of stuff posted on DCEMU is a simple copy/paste job, whether it be a readme from a homebrew app, a press release, or news from another site.

I have no problem with the copy/paste on this website cause they always give the link to the source...

I also use other psp related website...I think you guy should be more united...You are complementary.

MalumEnSe
July 16th, 2006, 21:29
I have no problem with the copy/paste on this website cause they always give the link to the source...

Oh really?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29134

That program was emailed into QJ and nowhere else. Kaiser even sourced it properly, but Wragg intentionally removed it because of his personal grudge.

Bossmanuk
July 16th, 2006, 21:49
At least other sites bother to edit press releases slightly. DCEMU press releases are always exactly copy/pasted, meaning they sound like an advertisement.

Tomorrow, wait for a DCEMU posted press release and I'll post the link to the same press release on another site that has just been written up instead of copy/pasted.

DCEMU has a good community, the devs here are great. However, the site management/posting staff...I won't even go there.

shinysuitman
July 16th, 2006, 21:53
At least other sites bother to edit press releases slightly. DCEMU press releases are always exactly copy/pasted, meaning they sound like an advertisement.

Tomorrow, wait for a DCEMU posted press release and I'll post the link to the same press release on another site that has just been written up instead of copy/pasted.

DCEMU has a good community, the devs here are great. However, the site management/posting staff...I won't even go there.

besides the community.... why are you here then? dont find too much sense in it if you think/know that dcemu are copy/pasters. its also never good to bash the site youre posting on if its your main stomping grounds.

sorry. not tryin to flame.

Bossmanuk
July 16th, 2006, 21:58
I don't like hypocrites, thats why I'm here; to point that out to some of the dcemu members. Don't bash other sites if this one does the same.

mr_nick666
July 17th, 2006, 12:20
Personally I think DCEMU is the best site around for impartial information :D (I have trawled the others in the past :() Ive found their reviews factual and usefull (for my part) :)

emuking
July 17th, 2006, 12:52
damn pspupdates did this lol, people should only make fun of pspupdates, their writers are lame, their news is weeks months old usually, and they have so many ads on their site its terrible, damn they suck

ACID
July 17th, 2006, 14:13
Yeah!! I know who they where :D

I love it :D !!!!!!!!

We will call them site D and site F, cause if they where being graded thats what they would be getting lol

I LOVE IT!!!!! HAHAHAHA
I know the sites you mean and your being generous with the grade it chold be Y and Z.

gangsta_psp
July 17th, 2006, 14:58
BTW - had you actually bothered to READ the "review" before going on the offensive, you'd find that its not a review at all. Its a how-to. A fact sheet. No where does it review the product. Why should we not take information and images given to us by the manufacturers and post about it so readers can have more info about it? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that (other than the fact that you're upset that it wasn't sent to you too).

Now, as far as being paid to post such material, I agree - that's pretty shady. But since there was absolutely no payment involved with QJ's posting of it, its not really an issue (altho we feel a bit suckered. ;) ).

So, I have to wonder - other than your own personal bias, exactly why is this "news" on your site? It seems like the only time you can be bothered to post anything that isn't a copy-paste from a readme/other site is when you're crying about something.
Im gonna stop flaming QJ for a while after this post, but heres a quote from thier article....
"Of course, when the Undiluted Platinum (U.P.) was first announced, the PSP scene was skeptic. How can such a beautiful piece exist? Is perfection really possible in this lifetime? Apparently not...because U.P. is nowhere near perfect (as this review will reveal)...but it does exist. Believe it - it has arrived."

Bossmanuk
July 17th, 2006, 15:42
Pesonally, I believe this atack on other PSP sites is due to DCEMU being jealous. s get things straight, DCEMU aren't openly attacking just PSPU or PSP3D but both.

It seems DCEMU are jealous because they didn't get the press release.

joshyouwaa
July 17th, 2006, 22:15
Who gives a damn about any of this shit?????? who cares!!!?? what a stupid thread

tophead420
July 18th, 2006, 11:31
hmmm when you said water mark on pics that gave me a good idea who it was and what a bunch of idiots goes to show how much there site sucks and i cant stop laughing at this omg that site is a bunch *** bags LMFAO omg that was great

tophead420
July 18th, 2006, 11:40
Pesonally, I believe this atack on other PSP sites is due to DCEMU being jealous. s get things straight, DCEMU aren't openly attacking just PSPU or PSP3D but both.

It seems DCEMU are jealous because they didn't get the press release.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
sorry about the double post but no you didnt DCEMU jealous *rolls on floor laughing* youve got to be kidding me dood this site is like the greatest site on the net it has a really cool community that helps each other out unlike the site that steals reviews from other site becuz they suk so much and a community of nothing but stuck up A**HOLES who never help people out so i would say get your story staight buddy becuz the site that steals the info are jealous becuz DCEMU PWNS THEIR NOOB A**'s :D :D :D
DCEMU PWNS

mr_nick666
July 18th, 2006, 12:35
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
sorry about the double post but no you didnt DCEMU jealous *rolls on floor laughing* youve got to be kidding me dood this site is like the greatest site on the net it has a really cool community that helps each other out unlike the site that steals reviews from other site becuz they suk so much and a community of nothing but stuck up A**HOLES who never help people out so i would say get your story staight buddy becuz the site that steals the info are jealous becuz DCEMU PWNS THEIR NOOB A**'s :D :D :D
DCEMU PWNS

Amen brother... :p

Bossmanuk
July 18th, 2006, 14:32
Hmm, if press releases are considered "stealing" then I am a criminal. However, if copy/pasting from other sites is illegal, then DCEMU are criminals.