PDA

View Full Version : 86% of Windows 7 PCs Maxing Out Memory

wraggster
February 18th, 2010, 19:51
Citing data from Devil Mountain Software's community-based Exo.performance.network (XPnet), Craig Barth, the company's chief technology officer, said that new metrics reveal an unsettling trend. On average, 86% of Windows 7 machines in the XPnet pool are regularly consuming 90%-95% of their available RAM, resulting in slow-downs as the systems were forced to increasingly turn to disk-based virtual memory to handle tasks. The 86% mark for Windows 7 is more than twice the average number of Windows XP machines that run at the memory 'saturation' point, and this comes despite more RAM being available on most Windows 7 machines. 'This is alarming,' Barth said of Windows 7 machines' resource consumption. 'For the OS to be pushing the hardware limits this quickly is amazing. Windows 7 is not the lean, mean version of Vista that you may think it is.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/18/0429258/86-of-Windows-7-PCs-Maxing-Out-Memory

Eviltaco64
February 18th, 2010, 21:40
Meh, at the moment, Windows 7 is consuming approx. 1/6th of my RAM. :P

dawson345
February 18th, 2010, 22:59
When I was running 7 I found that (at least) 25% of my cpu power (Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz) was being taken up by the 'Windows Media Player Network Process' it also used a considerable amount of my 4GB of RAM

Shut that off and you should be tight.

Last I checked there's no other way but to make the service manual at boot.