PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on homebrew, but I have a couple of hardware Qs (Nintendo DS Lite)

JAC
July 20th, 2006, 03:22
Ok, I searched the forums for info and I learned a lot but I still have a few questions regarding this whole homebrew/rom deal. My biggest concern is turning my precious DS lite into a brick, I did a couple of searches but I didn't find much info on the subject (only a few topics turned up).

My plan is to get an M3 along with a Passcard, I'd be using it mainly to run backups of my games (so I don't have to carry around all the carthridges with me), to play SNES and NES games and to watch videos, will these two pieces of hardware do the trick?

Now, my other question is regarding bricking, from what I understand the only way to brick a DS is if you alter the firmware, right? if so, the M3+Passcard combo does not require one to alter the firmware or does it? based on what I've read it seems to be a plug and play type of thing.

Another thing, the CF M3 sticks out of the DS lite like a sore thumb, the mini SB card is the least offensive one but it still takes away some of the Lite's sexyness :mad: , do you guys know if they are coming out with a "lite" version? I want to know if it's worth waiting or if I should just get the mini sb one.

Thanks in advance :) .

The Hombrew Hunter
July 20th, 2006, 03:52
The lite is all but sexy. The ONLY sexy one is the FF3 one.

Now stop being OCD and pick any one you want. If you have a certain media card, get the one that corresponds with the card you have.

JAC
July 20th, 2006, 04:10
hmm, thanks...I guess....and the Ds Lite is damn sexy :p

anyone else?

Quay Cur
July 20th, 2006, 07:09
If you want something that keeps the look of the DS Lite you should consider a G6 Lite. It's made by the same company as M3, but the G6 Lite is the same size as the GBA dummy cart in the DS Lite (and comes with a changable GBA case so you can use it in other stuff). It will also have a touch screen menu system (don't know if M3 does) and will have the same great compatibility as M3. The english version doesn't seem to be readily available yet, but I got a reply from gamersection.ca saying they'd have it by the end of the month. Just make sure you're not getting the Chinese one. I'm going to be getting this once it's out.

And yes, the Passcard 3 would go best with that. With that combo it is just a plug and play deal. The only thing that involves any level of surgery is flashing, but there isn't much reason to do that since the Passcard types of devices showed up.

As far as bricking goes, it would seem that it can only happen if you run a bricker program. The program essentially rewrites or deletes a chunk of the DS's firmware. This can happen to any DS, flashed or not. Then of course you could probably brick it by botching a flash, but I don't know anything about flashing so don't take my word for it. If you're running DS backups that you didn't make, I would only get them from sites that offer the full list of roms. Getting them from a P2P network might be a little risky. If you run any homebrew apps just check up on where it came from and make sure it's legitimate. An excelent wiki about DS bricks: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Bricker

In short, go for a G6 Lite and Passcard 3. I have heard talk of an M3 Lite, but haven't seen anything official. I would imagine it to be the same as a G6 Lite, but with expandable memory.

Here's the G6 site (not updated with the Lite stuff yet, but the info still stands the same): http://www.g6flash.com/

And here's the G6 section of the GBAtemp forum (another very good homebrew resource): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=93

JAC
July 20th, 2006, 15:39
If you want something that keeps the look of the DS Lite you should consider a G6 Lite. It's made by the same company as M3, but the G6 Lite is the same size as the GBA dummy cart in the DS Lite (and comes with a changable GBA case so you can use it in other stuff). It will also have a touch screen menu system (don't know if M3 does) and will have the same great compatibility as M3. The english version doesn't seem to be readily available yet, but I got a reply from gamersection.ca saying they'd have it by the end of the month. Just make sure you're not getting the Chinese one. I'm going to be getting this once it's out.

And yes, the Passcard 3 would go best with that. With that combo it is just a plug and play deal. The only thing that involves any level of surgery is flashing, but there isn't much reason to do that since the Passcard types of devices showed up.

As far as bricking goes, it would seem that it can only happen if you run a bricker program. The program essentially rewrites or deletes a chunk of the DS's firmware. This can happen to any DS, flashed or not. Then of course you could probably brick it by botching a flash, but I don't know anything about flashing so don't take my word for it. If you're running DS backups that you didn't make, I would only get them from sites that offer the full list of roms. Getting them from a P2P network might be a little risky. If you run any homebrew apps just check up on where it came from and make sure it's legitimate. An excelent wiki about DS bricks: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Bricker

In short, go for a G6 Lite and Passcard 3. I have heard talk of an M3 Lite, but haven't seen anything official. I would imagine it to be the same as a G6 Lite, but with expandable memory.

Here's the G6 site (not updated with the Lite stuff yet, but the info still stands the same): http://www.g6flash.com/

And here's the G6 section of the GBAtemp forum (another very good homebrew resource): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=93

Thanks a lot for your reply man, that's exactly the info I was looking for :D .

edited by Mazza and is there a risk of bricking also with SNES and NES roms or just DS/GBA ones?

thanks again.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 20th, 2006, 17:22
Might wanna watch out with gamersection.ca though...I got a defective m3 for my first purchase, we have to return it...

Quay Cur
July 20th, 2006, 18:57
Might wanna watch out with gamersection.ca though...I got a defective m3 for my first purchase, we have to return it...
Ouch man, that sucks. I would have to imagine that it was a problem at the factory end of it and not Gamer Section, though. If my G6 Lite is defective you'll certainly be hearing about it.

JAC, I can't give you the site names on here, most forums don't like that sort of thing. You could PM or email me, though ([email protected]).

I haven't heard of any brickers popping up in anything aside from .nds format (DS game files).

The Hombrew Hunter
July 20th, 2006, 20:19
It's the factory defect. If it were a fake, I would've gotten a fake Passcard 3 as well.