PDA

View Full Version : The Emulator of the Year (Dreamcast)

wraggster
November 5th, 2004, 00:14
Whats the Emulator of the Year for you this year.

Ill close this on the 30th of December 2004

One vote Each please :)

Ill do a count up every few days if it gets long.

To start the bidding i would have to say UAE4ALL was the biggest surprise and the emulator with the wow factor when it was released.

My Vote goes to UAE4all

although if any new releases happen before Xmas this could change.

quzar
November 5th, 2004, 00:17
why not make this a poll? ... that's what they are for =P

Eric
November 5th, 2004, 00:17
Yeah thats a big wow but i look at Neo Geo just cause it had that impossible look and it was completed

BlackAura
November 5th, 2004, 01:04
Wraggster - Unless there are some major problems somewhere, I know of at least two emulators that should be released around Christmas...

wraggster
November 5th, 2004, 06:43
well i know of maybe 5 BIG emulators coming soon

wow its gonna rock the scene

elefas
November 5th, 2004, 14:31
Yeah, lets make a poll about the best emulator. In my opinion the best is Neogeo CD emulator. It showed the way that impossible things can be achieved by our beloved DC!

Cap'n 1time
November 5th, 2004, 15:26
agreed.

The NeoGeo CD emulator came out of no where and BOOM! It worked, and it didnt just work, it worked well!

What are the big upcoming emulators you are all talking about?!

Will GPF release a teaser of the GBA emulator or somthing?
quazar has done some amazing stuff, and I know that he has a few future projects (that excite me alot) in the works. quazar do you have plans for another emulator to come out before christmas?
Has DreamSNES secretly started work on an update? Am I creating rumors? DUN DUN DUN!

Christuserloeser
November 5th, 2004, 15:46
The most impressive one (until now): GenesisPlusDC PVR releases 8)
Hard to beat that IMO. I was really impressed and excited when I first saw this thing running in my DC.

Then...

Edited because of beeing completly undecided about all those other great emus out there, released in '04

quzar
November 5th, 2004, 16:22
quazar has done some amazing stuff, and *I know that he has a few future projects (that excite me alot) in the works. quazar do you have plans for another emulator to come out before christmas?

Right now im working on a few things. As soon as Screamcast is back up (server problems =\) I'm releasing Bhole. Perhaps with a large base of testers, some more working games will be found.

By request of a fourm member, i took a look at oswan. With a bit of modification, I got it running fullspeed, and i think I could get saving working as well.

Right now I'm working with Hugo, and have promised to make a release on thanksgiving regardless of progress i have made with it. It already offers SCD and sound support which DreamEngine, and although people will be dissapointed with it, I'd rather people see what its running like ;)

As soon as the newest version of NeoCD for the PS2 comes out i'm gonna try my hand at up-porting evilo's changes.

The last thing I have been toying with is n64 emulation. I didnt make it public because it is kind of meaningless, but I successfully ported a very early n64 emulator called blade64. I hand't made that news public because if you lookup blade64 you will see that it has no video or audio output ability. The only way you can tell its running is through debug output (such as coders cable) which returns values that reflect proper running.

Saoshyant
November 5th, 2004, 18:33
My vote for 2004, Neo-Geo CD SDL Dreamcast.

---------------------------------------------------
I want to vote for Freedo, maybe 2005 :)

DaMadFiddler
November 5th, 2004, 20:36
The NeoGeo CD emulator came out of no where and BOOM! It worked, and it didnt just work, it worked well!

That's my vote as well. Now, if only someone would finish the sound core....;)

Cap'n 1time
November 8th, 2004, 18:28
I just relized i have been calling quzar quazar the whole time.... opps. :-X

omer
November 30th, 2004, 10:53
I think it's the neogeo emulator , because he is one fire , a lot of dc coder are interesting about him so the dreamcast scene move a lot .

ps : sorry for my bad english :P

Darksaviour69
November 30th, 2004, 11:05
so:
UAE4all : 1
Neo-Geo CD: 6
GenesisPlusDC PVR: 1

i'm going to wait till closer to the end of dec before i decide

MetaFox
November 30th, 2004, 11:52
i'm going to wait till closer to the end of dec before i decideSame here. I'm waiting until New Year's eve.

For all we know, a fullspeed PS2 emulator could come out of nowhere on the last day of the year. :P

guyTHP
December 9th, 2004, 17:20
I've yet to try UAE4ALL (from what I gather, it's not full frame rate yet), but I was impressed with the beta release od DCaSTaway - It's not 100%, sure but I haven't seen a smooth scroller (in an automation menu) since packing my STE away a few years - perhaps it's my choice of emulator (or more likely my pc's grahpics card).

ok, I'll burn uae4all with some games and come back to you. (curse my premature voting)..

RockGod
January 4th, 2005, 10:27
Hands Down Neo Geo ;D

Darksaviour69
January 4th, 2005, 10:46
well 2004 is over so lets list the emus that were released this year:

NeoCD/SDL
(NeoGeoCD)
DCStella
(Atari 2600 emulator)
Super Famicast v2
(SNES)
DC Speccyal K
(Spectrum 48k /128k)
GenesisPlusDC PVR
(MegaDrive/Genesis)
ScummVM
(Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion Interpreter)
DCNincest64
(N64)
DCaSTaway
(Atari ST Emulator)
UAE4ALL
(Amiga 500 Emulators)
Bhole DC
(DOS)
Yabause DC
(Saturn)

i think that is all of them, hey we did well this well this year!

i think i will vote for GenesisPlusDC PVR, but its a hard one

so, so far the votes are
Neo-Geo CD: 7
GenesisPlusDC PVR: 2

GPF
January 6th, 2005, 10:09
i vote for Neo Geo CD since I was one of the original porters.

and I vote for DCNincest(n64) since I ported it LOL.

Troy

Darksaviour69
January 6th, 2005, 10:13
sorry, only one vote each... so which is it Neo or 64?

GPF
January 6th, 2005, 10:51
neo geo cd :)

obelisk
January 6th, 2005, 14:32
Genisis Plus i guess.... no more emus Can come out for 04, as it's 1-6-05, i know that some people are working on other emus, and or improvements on currrent ones. My Best wishes to all coders and programmers who have provided to the scene and kept it moving along well. You have provided myself, my wife, and many others with much enjoyment and fun! i'll be looking over the subjects in wait for the next great emus for the Dreamcast.

Darksaviour69
January 10th, 2005, 05:09
so, again, so far the votes are
Neo-Geo CD: 8
GenesisPlusDC PVR: 3

it looks like Neo-Geo getting a run away lead...

curt_grymala
January 10th, 2005, 05:14
Even though it came out quite a while ago, I would have to vote for Super Famicast v2. This new version of the emu shows great promise, and really improved upon the first version. That gets my vote.

MetaFox
January 10th, 2005, 06:04
If you're going to include ScummVM, my vote has got to go to that.

All LucasArts games are now completely playable up to Full Throttle, Simon the Sorcerer 1 + 2, plus Beneath a Steel Sky & Flight of The Amazon Queen released as freeware by their copyright holders.

Can't beat that.

Darksaviour69
January 10th, 2005, 06:15
also i think scummVM supports the mac versions as well, so i can play my mac version of Full Throttle... i was burned the latest version of scummVM for this weekend but i could not find my Full Throttle CD, i wonder if i lend it to some one (i should stop lending game, i lead panzer dragoon saga to a friend a long time ago, i i never got it back, i bought it for £30 when it first came out, now it goes on ebay for £150! )

so, again, so far the votes are
Super Famicast v2: 1
ScummVM: 1
Total votes: 14

BlueCrab
January 10th, 2005, 10:57
I vote for my own little work, Yabause-dc, as its the only emulator I think that I've really used in the past year ;)

Christuserloeser
January 18th, 2005, 12:47
;D Damn, pretty great releases during the past year! Gotta love them all!

DCSpeccyal-K is also one to mention for creating a sparkle for the Spectrum in 2004 and replacing DreamSpec...

Darksaviour69
January 19th, 2005, 10:34
Christuserloeser i had u down as a vote for GenesisPlusDC PVR, i.e. you one of the current 3 votes
have u changed you mind?

also wraggs said that the vote would end at the end of dec, but i think the end of jan makes more sence.

btw assuming christuserloeser vote stay the same the votes are

Yabause DC : 1
Total votes: 15

quzar
January 19th, 2005, 11:27
like gpf, since i was with it from the start, my vote goes to Neo-Geo CD (and cause Bhole sucked =P)

DCDayDreamer
January 19th, 2005, 15:39
Well my vote should go to ScummVM, it's now probably the longest running creation that's still in development, and constantly improving. Of course ScummVM isn't classed as an emu, but it's going to be around for some time to come (along with more freeware games down the line ;)).

To be totally different, my vote goes to the biggest surprise that emulated the smallest cartridge console, I hadn't even heard of the hardware before...

PokeMiniDream ;D

Darksaviour69
January 20th, 2005, 11:30
i forgot about PokeMiniDream ;)

i know ScummVN is not really a emu, but its not homebrew and i don't think we are going to have a Interpreter of the year vote, so i thought it should be included.

so i will so after the changes the votes look like this:

Neo-Geo CD: 9
GenesisPlusDC PVR: 2
PokeMiniDream:1
Total votes: 16

it looks like Neo-Geo CD is going to win by a landslide! but there is still time for things to change
btw no more changing vote ;)

Christuserloeser
January 21st, 2005, 10:40
Christuserloeser i had u down as a vote for *GenesisPlusDC PVR, i.e. you one of the current 3 votes have u changed you mind?

hehe, no I'll stay with GPDCPVR - just thought I should mention it...
NeoGeoCD deserves to be the emu of the year, but those other emus are pretty fantastic to - all of them :)
GPDCPVR wasn't even officially released but it impressed me the most... ( I felt my heart beatin when I burned these previews versions and booted them in my DC) It's mainly because of the VDP emulation - that's revolutionary imo :-*

Darksaviour69
January 21st, 2005, 10:52
ok i got confused, i got Christuserloeser and DCDayDreamer mixed up ;D

Neo-Geo CD: 9
Total votes: 17

Florre
February 1st, 2005, 19:45
My turn to give my vote :) and it goes to........ #tada#

--- Neo Geo CD Emu ---

As said before, this emu showed me what i thought was impossible on the dreamcast, after the release of Neo geo cd i have no doubt about that there will be some more surprises in the future for our beloved Dreamcast on the dc scene! 8)

Its to bad that Ian has left the dc scene, he was indeed a great programmer!

Regards Florian

Zherae
February 7th, 2005, 04:05
DCastway mostly because its one of the very few emus that run in low resolution its almost like playing on the real thing, Another World intro still looks freaking amazing after all these years :o Playing Stunt Car Racer again was also very fun.

Darksaviour69
February 7th, 2005, 12:30
Neo-Geo CD: 10
DCaSTaway: 1
Total votes: 19

ok i'm putting a closing date on this so, let me pull a date out of my ass...mmmm.. 28th of feb (end of the month ok?

lifeonmars
February 7th, 2005, 19:13
Hello,

Here is my vote:

UAE4all :)

Bye...

SiZiOUS
February 10th, 2005, 21:42
DreamCPC. ;)

Darksaviour69
February 21st, 2005, 17:36
DreamCPC came out in 2005, so its not a contender :-/, maybe for emu of the year 2005

Neo-Geo CD: 10
UAE4all : 2
Total votes: 20

arqueiro
February 21st, 2005, 17:53
UAE4ALL ;D

Pavlik
February 21st, 2005, 20:01
My vote is for Neo-Geo CD SDL in emu and game is Inhabitants 2

fackue
February 21st, 2005, 21:19
GenesisPlusPVR

Although I never have tried the new versions of the NeoCD emulator. ;)

M@jk
February 21st, 2005, 21:40
I vote for Neo-Geo CD

jinx
February 21st, 2005, 23:17
ScummVM...my opinion one of the most useful emus on the DC...NeoDC takes a close 2nd
ScummVM is always getting better and updated...

turnerl
February 22nd, 2005, 05:34
UAE4ALL

Darksaviour69
February 22nd, 2005, 15:45
new page so an update:

1: Neo-Geo CD: 12
2: GenesisPlusDC PVR: 4
UAE4all : 4
4: ScummVM: 2
5: Super Famicast v2: 1

Total votes: 26

Darksaviour69
February 28th, 2005, 12:35
last day to vote!

pang1978
February 28th, 2005, 14:55
genesis plus dc prev. 8)

scrabbus
February 28th, 2005, 16:20
i have genesis plus but i can get the bugger to work

Darksaviour69
March 1st, 2005, 12:46
ok voting is over, the results

1: Neo-Geo CD: 12
2: GenesisPlusDC PVR: 5
3: UAE4all : 4
4: ScummVM: 2
5: Super Famicast v2: 1

Total votes: 27

WHurricane16
March 1st, 2005, 13:04
GenesisPlusPVR

Although I never have tried the new versions of the NeoCD emulator. ;)

Ditto. *Genesis Plus PVR for me.

Hard choice between this and Super Famicast. *Super Famicast has some very nice GUI features but the emulation just falls short. *Genesis Plus PVR just shows you the power of the Dreamcast and it has spawn more developed 68k cores.

EDIT: K, I decided to vote on the day after voting ended. Someone smack me, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to vote on anything or not.