PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get a converter to use SNES controllers on my DC

shadowfamicom
July 21st, 2006, 00:22
does anyone no where i can get a converter so i can use my SNES/SFC controllers on my DC? im asking because i have been playing a few shmups latelly (Twinkle Star Sprites mostly) and have noticed when i use a DC controller my thumbs cramp up becuase of all the button presses (even thou it has an auto fire option in the game it is not very acurate). i noticed that with games on a SNES controller like starfox and some 2d shmups that my hands dont hurt as much and i like the d pad alot so i was wondering if anyone noes where i can get a SNES controller to DC controller adaptor? i remember seeing them at certian import sites at one time and now that i need one i cant find them anywhere. any help would be most apreciated.

thanks.

Darksaviour69
July 21st, 2006, 01:02
well hes is a nes controler mod
http://devcast.dcemulation.com/mods/nes/nes.php

http://devcast.dcemulation.com/mods/madnes/nes2.php

sorry thats all i know

fackue
July 27th, 2006, 23:49
I don't think there's any commercial converters.

IndianCheese
July 29th, 2006, 18:28
you said there are no commercial converters? use these then:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/videogamesdepo_1906_38405537

this is a ps2 to snes converter. you can purchase that or a cheaper one. then you will need to buy a ps2 to dc converter.

http://www.gameasylum.us/snsunicoadfr.html

that is a list of converters. you know where to get the DC to PS/2 converters since they are common.

GyroVorbis
July 29th, 2006, 19:08
http://www.vpi.us/images/cable-usbaf-usbaf.jpg
if you dont want to use that then you can use this USB converter with that. u can combine the USB to Snes and USB to DC converters

Trio Linker PLUS will give u DC to USB. Super SmartJoy will get your SNES component. I was asked to post this on behalf of ßüboni¢ $oñic.

shadowfamicom
August 27th, 2006, 23:49
you sure that would work?

shadowfamicom
August 27th, 2006, 23:50

that would not work at all i would need a converter that lets me use a SNES controller on my PS2 then a PS2 to DC contverter.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
August 28th, 2006, 16:29
it would eventually..

Runefox
August 28th, 2006, 19:34
I've never heard of USB to DC converters, and I'm sure it doesn't exist. Converting DC to USB could happen, but not USB to DC. There's too many variables, and there's no such thing as a driver. The USB converter doesn't know what kind of controller it's connecting to what, so it has no idea how to route the button mappings, if it detects the buttons at all.

I do recall, however, seeing a straight SNES to DC converter (on Liksang, I do believe), but this was some time ago.

Either way, using a SNES to PS2 converter and then connecting up a PS2 to DC converter will probably, to a degree, work, depending on how the SNES buttons are mapped to the PS2 for that converter. The reason is that the wiring is generally convertible and the controllers are not dependent on software to work properly.

Using anything to do with USB is *not* going to work, since USB is a two-way system where there is a standardized method of data transfer (both pieces of hardware have software built-in that communicate back and forth). It's not a straight connection, and cannot easily be converted without extra hardware (an external USB sound card can output to standard 3.5mm plugs; But its onboard hardware does the work, not the computer, so without it, a conversion from USB to 3.5mm plugs can't be done). This is one of the reasons why your computer can automatically detect what kind of hardware a USB device is, and try to find drivers for it. Of course, this requires a USB slot, and consequently a motherboard or addon card that recognizes USB. The Dreamcast, and indeed, every console prior to the PS2 (plus the Gamecube) is inherently incompatible with USB. Even if you can somehow get everything connected, it won't work.

For your reference, that picture is of USB male to female converters. That will only serve to connect two USB cables together to lengthen an existing cable; It cannot connect two incompatible devices together (eg. A Logitech mouse to a printer, a 56k modem to a network card, etc), as there is no hardware nor software in use. It simply maps the pins to continue the cable along another cable.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
August 29th, 2006, 10:43
i tried it and it worked..

shadowfamicom
September 22nd, 2006, 03:25
[QUOTE=Runefox]

I do recall, however, seeing a straight SNES to DC converter (on Liksang, I do believe), but this was some time ago.
Either way, using a SNES to PS2 converter and then connecting up a PS2 to DC converter will probably, to a degree, work, depending on how the SNES buttons are mapped to the PS2 for that converter. The reason is that the wiring is generally convertible and the controllers are not dependent on software to work properly.
QUOTE]

yeah lik sang is where i saw it. but i cant find a SNES to PS2 converter anywhere