PDA

View Full Version : Neo4all/CD and Real NeoCD games

kingbuzzo
July 21st, 2006, 16:14
I've been enjoying testing out games for Neo4all over at DCS for some time now, But there's a couple things that really bother me.

I've mentioned arcade stick support more times than a broken record so I've pretty much given up that fight.

But I find it quite a let down that this emu doesn't support official neo geo cd discs. I've bought real bout fatal fury special as well as fatal fury special, and neither of them are recognized as neocd discs. Are we doomed to always using backups? Cause that's no fun.

thanks,

King.

Sonic-NKT
July 25th, 2006, 15:49
yes you cant use original disc because of their copy protection i think...

Squaresoft74
August 10th, 2006, 02:27
Been reporting this since age :
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8044
But it seems no effort have been made yet to fix it.
A shame for legit games users. :(

quzar
August 10th, 2006, 12:18

I spent a few days looking at the differences exact data copies and conventionally made copies and although I saw differences, they weren't anything that should make the discs unreadable. I was able at one point to get the dreamcast to read files off an original disc but did not pursue it due to the horrible complexity of the required code.

fox68k
August 10th, 2006, 17:26
I spent a few days looking at the differences exact data copies and conventionally made copies and although I saw differences, they weren't anything that should make the discs unreadable. I was able at one point to get the dreamcast to read files off an original disc but did not pursue it due to the horrible complexity of the required code.

If you could read files from, the code could worths it. Make the code available so we can take a look and try it.

Cheers.

quzar
August 10th, 2006, 23:20
The code was lost long ago. At the current time the only non-release code of NeoDC that I have is from november of 05. The thing that I remember about it though is that I used kos' cd reading functions instead of those from libc.

diogene68
August 15th, 2006, 14:51
Excuse me for a bit OT, but i'm going mad to search info on Neogeo CD TOC informations. I don't found anything in your site, could you help me?

Squaresoft74
August 17th, 2006, 02:10
Sorry i can't help anymore with Snk games. :(
I lost everything (dumps, analysis and notes) in a HD crash late December so i dropped that part and only kept the Nec section alive.

diogene68
August 17th, 2006, 14:20
Sorry i can't help anymore with Snk games. :(
I lost everything (dumps, analysis and notes) in a HD crash late December so i dropped that part and only kept the Nec section alive.
Thanks for reply! Now I 'm using informations found in source of NeoCDZ emulator, i hope correct. Today i repaired toc of Metal Slug manually, but is an annoying job. Can i contact someone to create an SNK-version of wonderful Tocfixer"?

Squaresoft74
August 17th, 2006, 16:43
You can't build an accurate database for TocFixer using only the toc data from Neocdz driver.
NeoGeo CD games hardly respect the proper pregap rules that follows :

00:03:00 for a data track following an audio one
00:02:00 for an audio track following a data one

Many games use
00:03:00 for an audio track following a data one instead.

To build an accurate database for TocFixer you would also need to check and pick these value from original discs.

That's the kind of stuff i had and sadly i lost.:(

You still can try to see with NJ (Neocdz author) if he would have any sort of interest to build such database since he owns every (Japanese print) games.

Once all the accurate the TOC and pregap data are collected, it could be considered to make a dedicated TocFixer build.

Nemo2006X
September 22nd, 2006, 04:22
Can anyone tell me, what file on a Neo-Geo CD stores,
the information of music playback...

ie:, Samurai Shodown, the cut scene that is displayed when you defeat your opponet, the Track# that is played is (just a wild guess !) Track 6... I would like to change it to play Track 2 instead.. Does anyone know ?

Shoometsu
September 22nd, 2006, 07:13
Can anyone tell me, what file on a Neo-Geo CD stores,
the information of music playback...

ie:, Samurai Shodown, the cut scene that is displayed when you defeat your opponet, the Track# that is played is (just a wild guess !) Track 6... I would like to change it to play Track 2 instead.. Does anyone know ?
if you use nero burning rom you can enter in the menu extras/save tracks, and save all the cd tracks (iso for data, wav audio tracks). use any cuemaker (i.e. satheader in menu extras/cuefile maker), changing the track order to use the 6th track as the 2nd track and burn the .cue file with any software (even nero, again)...

Nemo2006X
September 22nd, 2006, 07:37
I didn't know that, thanks I will give that a try..

Edit: I found it !!!!

Shoometsu
September 22nd, 2006, 14:35
I've been enjoying testing out games for Neo4all over at DCS for some time now, But there's a couple things that really bother me.

I've mentioned arcade stick support more times than a broken record so I've pretty much given up that fight.

But I find it quite a let down that this emu doesn't support official neo geo cd discs. I've bought real bout fatal fury special as well as fatal fury special, and neither of them are recognized as neocd discs. Are we doomed to always using backups? Cause that's no fun.

thanks,

King.
as far as I tested seemed that the disc is not recognized because the unit has not enough power on its laser to do it, similar to what happens with the cd-rw, that the laser unit acted the same way as it acts with the cd-rw not recognizing anything. maybe if we can find the "ideal" power level, the dreamcast would be able to do that, i guess it because I adjusted it manually, my dc has tried (at least the unit is going even longer) to read my neo cd originals, even being unsuccessfull yet...

quzar
September 22nd, 2006, 22:05
as far as I tested seemed that the disc is not recognized because the unit has not enough power on its laser to do it, similar to what happens with the cd-rw, that the laser unit acted the same way as it acts with the cd-rw not recognizing anything. maybe if we can find the "ideal" power level, the dreamcast would be able to do that, i guess it because I adjusted it manually, my dc has tried (at least the unit is going even longer) to read my neo cd originals, even being unsuccessfull yet...

That's not the problem.

Shoometsu
September 23rd, 2006, 03:37
That's not the problem.
so it's useless try to adjust the laser. all the pcb revisions (0,1 and 2) have the same problem?

quzar
September 23rd, 2006, 04:29
afaik that's not the problem. at one point when doing all sorts of crazy experiments with CD reading I got it to read one file off a real CD, so the dreamcast CAN do it. it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Shoometsu
September 23rd, 2006, 04:55
afaik that's not the problem. at one point when doing all sorts of crazy experiments with CD reading I got it to read one file off a real CD, so the dreamcast CAN do it. it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.
so it was the same problem that I had with my dvd drive (original neocd games were not recognized). the problem was solved only with a firmware update.

Stuckemuck
February 3rd, 2009, 20:59
Hello all!

I know I'm late - and I mean LATE - on this...
but has anybody worked out a solution of the "No disc in drive" Dreamcast problem, yet? I tried to build a new iso (extracting the files from - let's say - KOF94, which isn't working in my version, and build a new iso with that data through UltraISO). Then burning it with the "original" wave files that came with the iso. NeoCD 031 for Windows has no problem with either disc. But Neo4all for DC always comes up with that dam... error.
Is there a "magical way" to re-arrange or re-construct a new iso which would be working on the DC ?

I'm a bit confused...

Update: I even tried to use an iso data track from "3 Count Bout" (which works on Neo4All DC), delete all files, use the files from KOF'94, make a cue (including the wav's from KOF) - and it really WORKS in an emulator for Win.
But the Dreamcast port of Nes4All R3 constantly refuses to load the cd - "No disc in drive". What a pity...

Cheers
Alf