PDA

View Full Version : Are You Paying For Homebrew ?

wraggster
July 22nd, 2006, 01:27
The internet is full of sites that are charging to access servers that have homebrew on and sadly these servers mostly have no link back to the coders who actually released the software, do you directly or indirectly pay for homebrew, i would like to gather information on why people do it, is it a lack of knowledge which means they are getting robbed or something else.

Post your replys via the comments

One word to mention is that either directly or indirectly Homebrew should always be free

jOeBrO
July 22nd, 2006, 01:29
who pays for homebrew.... seriously?

Mew
July 22nd, 2006, 01:35
It's the same as those many ringtone/logo sites.
Dumb people will pay. :D
But it's not fair not to mention the author of the original work!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 22nd, 2006, 01:52
Man some people have no shame if peeps are daft enuff to pay it they will sure as hell charge it.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 22nd, 2006, 01:59
I pay for homebrew. Devices, that is. GO DS Homebrew.

But seriously, people who do that are dicks.

tophead420
July 22nd, 2006, 02:05
I pay for homebrew. Devices, that is. GO DS Homebrew.

But seriously, people who do that are dicks.

i dont pay for homebrew at all and never will and the fact that you pay for some makes me laugh and ds hpmebrew LMAO ill stick with the psp homebrew and i still cant believe that people pay for homebrew and i never will :p

NoQuarter
July 22nd, 2006, 02:06
If people would just search a bit they would find the same programs for free.
Can't really blame the sites for exploiting peoples laziness,seems like a lot of people just want a quick fix or a spoon feeding;)

Is'lan
July 22nd, 2006, 02:31
Selling other people's work without their permission or royalties is the greatest bane of homebrew I feel. To my homebrewed world that I love so much, such people are honorless dogs. I challenge them all to a duel!

Broonale
July 22nd, 2006, 02:39
Pay for homebrew?

No.

It sounds like they are paying for server bandwidth, not software.

Edward472
July 22nd, 2006, 03:14
to pay for homebrew is like paying for the air you breath

JKKDARK
July 22nd, 2006, 03:32
No, I don't.

DimensionT
July 22nd, 2006, 03:51
Isn't this illegal? I mean, alot of homebrew games use sprites and stuff from commercial games, which is ok unless you sell the homebrew... But that's what these people are doing.

killakirby
July 22nd, 2006, 04:00
thats mean. making people who know nothing about homebrew pay. shameful :mad:

lopezc
July 22nd, 2006, 04:17
Me pay for Homebrew?lol hahahahahahahahaha

felonyr301
July 22nd, 2006, 04:29
pay isnt that one of the beauty of homebrew a community in which we all play created games or apps from people just like us to see their work and congratulate them and all the other stuff on our free time and obviously the point is to donate if we want too to the creator for his hard work.

remansano
July 22nd, 2006, 04:43
I will never pay to use a homebrew, but I think people should contribute with the developers, you know... donate some few money through paypal or something.

Coz it's too confort to sit here and download a lot of cool apps for my PSP while a lot of coders loses whole nights of sleep programing....

My opinion is that: we should never pay for homebrews, but we should try to give some donations... just to motivate the coders and thank for the fun they are giving us

jman420
July 22nd, 2006, 04:56
i dont pay for homebrew at all and never will and the fact that you pay for some makes me laugh and ds hpmebrew LMAO ill stick with the psp homebrew and i still cant believe that people pay for homebrew and i never will :p

DURR! he said he pays for devices, you have to buy a loader, GBA cart and a memory card to use any homebrew on a DS...

The only problem I'd have with paying for homebrew would be that the developers dont get a cut, its only a way for sites to steal software, and sell it to dumb people...

doof69
July 22nd, 2006, 05:09
The reason noobs pay for homebrew is becuase they see their friends with homebrew, then they type "psp homebrew" in google then click on the sponsered links. which of course is going to cost you money. Its all about the IQ of the psp owner. Low IQ is proportional to Giving out money for crap. Why do you think the DS does so well?

Junixx
July 22nd, 2006, 05:15
paying for homebrew is not right, and whoever makes people pay for homebrew is just messed up

Eyedunno
July 22nd, 2006, 05:40
I have no problem with paying for homebrew, so long as the software is extremely high quality (as attested to by independent reviewers) and the coder (or someone who has his/her permission) is the one charging.

I like the open source model, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay if somebody released, say, a really faithful SNES or PSX emulator for the NDS.

samthegreat68
July 22nd, 2006, 05:48
to pay for homebrew is like paying for the air you breath
i dont think its quite like that. but you gotta face the fact that there are some real morons out there and any money that gets squeezed away from them is their own fault. granted its pretty low for someone to charge for something they didnt even create, but this is mainly harming the stupid fools who dont even bother to check any other sites!

its like people at my school see me playing DOOM and Super Mario during class and are always asking "how did you get that on there?!" and stuff, but they are too stupid to figure out how to do it themselves. and my friend, who i first introduced to homebrew had the bright idea of charging people money for him to take their psp's home and downgrade them and put apps on for them. its a good idea, but it goes against what homebrew stands for.

dtothabreezy
July 22nd, 2006, 05:59
i see mesages on ebay all the time about a dolloar to get unlimted hombrew back in the ol days i about paid till started lookin around then i found out i had 2.1 which put me off homebrew till eloader and now downgrader:D

ACID
July 22nd, 2006, 06:00
I know people think paying for homebrew is stupid and people that do are lazy. Well when i first started when the psp came out i tryed to port A NES emulator witch i did and it was about 80% fps. Then i saw a neo geo cd and that was to much time with work so i bought it. Its not been lazy its not having time. Then 10 months later i fell n this web site and all mi problems have for ever been solved.

iancloud2001
July 22nd, 2006, 06:16
Nice guys finish last, period. The owners of those sites are making money to support their family, so I won't put them down for that. Besides, they are most likely selling "access" to the "information" which happens to be homebrew programs hosted on their server. Money makes the world go 'round, and if you are too blind to see that, maybe you should put your life into perspective. Seriously, think about it, and how it affects you. Good bye.

End

hempy
July 22nd, 2006, 06:21
i dont even pay for games, why would i do so for homebrew

The Hombrew Hunter
July 22nd, 2006, 06:30
I'd never pay for the SOFTWARE, (but donate to the coders), only for the HARDWARE.

ACID
July 22nd, 2006, 06:49
Dude you chould read the rules and then erase your sig. If lucky the big guns AKA. Kaiser & Shadow will give you a break. Thats not what we are about here.:cool:

Voltron
July 22nd, 2006, 07:08
On this issue I don't think developers & coders get enough support & donations. Sure it is shunned upon to ask for money or donations, but for quality projects like Snes9xTYL, DevHook, Neo Geo, & many more, I think 99% of people use use use, but never donate.

The developers deserve more credit and donations than what they are getting. This may also help in faster updates.

ACID
July 22nd, 2006, 07:09
I agree with you voltron

Kaiser
July 22nd, 2006, 09:10

While your not technically breaking the rules I'm going to make sure your signature is removed. Don't be a muppet with your so called "defiant" signature. I'm going to be watching you closely now. :)

drew4237
July 22nd, 2006, 09:38
if a site asks me for a credit card or somform of payment i just go back to google to find it womewhere else for free.

this is ot but
i hate when people talk about people breaking the rules and i didnt see what it was then i wonder but i have to tell myself that there isnt ever gonna be a way to find out. idk y i am even typing this to everyone but it just was buging me cause i like to kow what is going on and when this happens i dont. but i do realize there isnt anything anyone can do about this

ACID
July 22nd, 2006, 09:48
your the man Kaiser> The real CEASER

eurogba
July 22nd, 2006, 10:04
donate to the coders via pay-pal
i do agree with that .. without their work you`ll have a wonderful handheld/console without apps and emus

this is the way you could pay for homebrew .. and i do agree with that

deedark
July 22nd, 2006, 11:54
hmmm... is it the real motive why Liranuna left DS homebrew scene? as stated on her site:

Bye, DS…
Posted on Friday, 21 July 2006

I’m going to do this simple and short.

Due to my latest discovery about the DS scene me getting bored with DS development, i have decided I do not want to be a part of it any more.
Expect a final release of dualSwan v1.2.1 really soon. All of my current projects are discontinued, as I will not work on them ever again. All of them are open source, and freely available for modification.
I will release a final swan song DS demo on EVOKE as promissed.

After EVOKE, I’m moving over to the PSP homebrew scene. Projects page had been opened already.
:confused:

T-2000
July 22nd, 2006, 13:09
Gp2x is the way to go for homebrew, yeh..

R4mbo
July 22nd, 2006, 13:57
I would spend some money which makes good homebrew like the N64 Emus or PS1 Emus. I they make me happy in making good working, full speed Emulators (I know this is VERY Hard, maybe impossible, but so the Developers would be more worth then others ^^) I would spend some money.

eurogba
July 22nd, 2006, 14:33
out of topic @ deedark

liranuna is moving to PSP scene ..

Vegetable
July 22nd, 2006, 20:12

Holy shit you're a moron. Not only did you not comprehend what his post meant, you acted like a fanboy and told him that the system he likes sucks. Get the **** off the Internet.

mrpham
July 22nd, 2006, 21:56
Holy shit you're a moron. Not only did you not comprehend what his post meant, you acted like a fanboy and told him that the system he likes sucks. Get the **** off the Internet.

Seconded.

Junixx
July 23rd, 2006, 06:38

I third that

offtopic: its sad to see LiraLuna leaving the DS scene :(

Emulation_Chief
July 23rd, 2006, 07:46
Hello:

This is interesting. Homebrew starts as a free development/distribution network. People from all the world shares time and information to create something different to taste. It can be a piece of software, and emulator or a full game.

I would like to see homebrew will be free indefinitely, but times change.

Some homebrew developers invest too much money in their projects to keep it free. To continue development, they find ways to charge you some money in order to keep the Sites, projects and dreams working.

Think of Senile Team. In order to release Age of the Beast, They include on the Website a link with propaganda for visitors to buy Stuff. Also GOAT Publishing anounce a Special Edition of AOTB that will cost money to acquire it.

The REAL weakness on hombrew states in the information and the people (specially Newbies) who falls into it. These guys presents on their Websites the software as unpublished development or maybe they will tell the truth, but allow you to acquire it by download for a fee or buy a professional pressed product or a burned one with case and disc label on it. Most, if not all, of these activities are without permission of the authors.

Like I said before, times change. Keep homebrew sites and content for free is a challenge in itself. The best thing we can do to keep them that way is to support the forums and visit them constantly through the Website.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 23rd, 2006, 08:12
Thanks for all that backed me up back there. Thanks.

Also...LiraNuna is leaving DS? No more win2DS...wah.

Let's hope that GPF stays with us, though...

Hawkeyefile
July 31st, 2006, 17:37
i may donate. but i never PAY for it.