PDA

View Full Version : Flashing DS's and Pass cards..

jonnex
July 22nd, 2006, 20:35
Hi,

I just watched a few reviews of the EZ4-Lite. Seems good, the complaints about the tiny amount it sticks out seem a bit of an overreaction to me, but hey.

Anyway, the reviewer had a superkey as his bypassing thing of choice, and i notice that when you turn the DS on with that setup it shows the original ds boot screen, but then boots straight to the ez4. Im just paranoidly checking that if you run an ordinary ds game (without the EZ4L inside the gba slot) that the ds functions completely normally?

also, what risks will i have from bricking if i bought all this stuff, i dont know much about it.

thanks for any help

Junixx
July 22nd, 2006, 21:25
Yes, if you take out the passkey/passcard device you DS will funtion normally, as for tnhe bricking part i cant really say much cause i dont know much about it

jonnex
July 22nd, 2006, 23:20
cool, thanks a lot for that, i think ill get on with it and buy an EZ4-lite.

still if anyone can brief me about 'bricking', like what causes it, how im at risk, and what it does, thatd be superb.

cheers though :)

shadowcolt22
July 23rd, 2006, 00:14
Yeah if you flash your ds it operates normally, but when your ez is in, it goes straight to the menu. It also gets rid of that annoying health warning. Bricking your DS will make it unusable. It will not do anything at all. You can do this to your ds lite while flashing if you touch outside the sl1 slot. I've Flashed 2 lites and 2 regular ds's no problem.

shadowcolt22
July 23rd, 2006, 00:17
Oh and I wouldn't reccomend superkey with ez4, I heard they had issues. Ask someone else though because when I flashed my ds I had a supercard. I have EZ4 now though

jonnex
July 23rd, 2006, 00:55
ok, so which catridge would you recommend? i dont want to flash my ds, seems like too much faff and id feel like i was violating the little beauty!

so whats better than super passme?

Mr_Biggs
July 23rd, 2006, 01:57
i just flashed my DS today with a passkey 2 and m3 SD card. i flashed it B/C i hate the health and safety screen, and b/c i hate how the passkey 2 is so frucking bulky. it was real simple, i booted up the M3 in DS mode, opened the flashme v7 program, took off the battery door, making sure to keep the batery in. i took the little pink sticker off, pressed start to start installing flashme, and wiggled a paperclip around in the hole until the progress started progressing. the only bug ive seen is that my games dont use sleep mode properly. to run my legit copy of metroid prime hunters, i took out the M3, and the DS jumped straight to the game. to access the DS menu, i took out both my ds game and M3 while the ds was off, and the menu opened. it's a good alternative to bigass passkeys.

jonnex
July 23rd, 2006, 02:56
oh ok.. but the super passkey (or what ever its called) is a normal ds catridge size isnt it? and the use of that means you dont have to flash your ds, and the only 'problem' is that you see the health warning (which i quite like!)?

so which small pass me catridge is best?

Quay Cur
July 23rd, 2006, 03:03
The best explaination I've found of DS brickers and where they came from:

http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Bricker

(maybe someone should sticky this or write up their own thing *nudgenudgeMazza* :))

Can't help on the passme thing, all I know is I'll be getting a G6 Lite and Passcard 3, as it's made by the same company. Don't the EZ4 people make their own?

Mr_Biggs
July 23rd, 2006, 19:20
if you want a passme device that is the size of a ds cart, passcard 3 hits the spot

jonnex
July 25th, 2006, 12:33
ok cool, passcard 3 is it then. unless someone can comfirm if ez4 make their own pass card (as itd work best with the ez4 i suppose?)

cheers for your help

SuperCardStore
July 25th, 2006, 13:11
....i just flashed my DS today with a passkey 2 and m3 SD card. ...... wiggled a paperclip around in the hole until the progress started progressing......

I sell this stuff for a living and flash a lot of consoles - when the DS Lite was released I was pleased to see that the procedure was the same, but then Ninty released a third wave of DS Lites (before they released them in Europe).
These DS Lites and every one since, have a screw next to the contacts you need to short together. Because I wriggled my screwdriver not knowing this, I touched the screwhead and this caused the console mainboard power surge protection fuse to blow.

Because it was an import, it was not practical to return it - now, if it ever happens again, I will simply return it to the shop - nobody can tell how the fuse blew, so they are bound to replace it.

So, don't wriggle! Make sure you use a tool that can not be put in at an angle - I use a rolled up bit of tinfoil now, after flashing many, many consoles I find that the best.

Mr_Biggs
July 25th, 2006, 22:15
i meant i wiggled the clip until something happened, then i held it there. hmmm.... foil wad, eh? i'll try it out!

Quay Cur
July 25th, 2006, 22:22
... unless someone can comfirm if ez4 make their own pass card (as itd work best with the ez4 i suppose?)
never read anything about it, but here it is

http://www.winsunx.com/list.php?mod=737

Mazza
July 25th, 2006, 22:31
never read anything about it, but here it is

http://www.winsunx.com/list.php?mod=737

That would work.

I flashed my DS Lite as soon as I got my first Supercard, just made a foil wand thingy and wrapped in black tape. Completed flashing in about 20 or so seconds.

Also if anyone gets the firmware not recognised error then just press start it doesn't affect anything.

nubbard
July 25th, 2006, 22:46
PassKEYs stick out and look ugly, pass/super-CARDS work fine and don't stick out at all. Passcard 3 works fine if you don't want to flash your DS.