PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare lawsuit accuses Activision of "unbridled greed"

wraggster
March 5th, 2010, 20:09
More details of the lawsuit bought against Activision by former Infinity Ward employees have emerged, in which the Call of Duty publisher is accused of "astonishing arrogance and unbridled greed".

Filed by Jason West and Vince Zampella – who were sacked from the wholly-owned studio Infinity Ward this week – the pair detailed alleged working conditions and the process that led to the developers being ejected from the studio they helped found back in 2003.

"West and Zampella were not as eager as Activision to jump into the development of Modern Warfare 2," stated the 16-page document, reprinted on IGN. "Despite assurances by Activision that West and Zampella would have complete freedom to run Infinity Ward as an independent studio, Activision had begun to intrude upon Infinity Ward's ability to create quality games.

"For example, Activision forced Infinity Ward's employees to continue producing the games at a breakneck pace under aggressive schedules, and West and Zampella were concerned that Activision was emphasising quantity over quality.

"Given Activision's insistence that Infinity Ward continue to focus on sequels to Call of Duty games instead of new intellectual property, West and Zampella were also concerned that Activision's demands risked 'burning out' the Infinity Ward employees' creativity. Nurturing a creative environment had been one of the cornerstones of Infinity Ward's success.

"West and Zampella were not eager to extend their employment; especially as they watched their games receive countless awards and make Activision billions of dollars, while many Infinity Ward employees were not being provided a fair share."

The pair are suing Activision for upwards of $36 million, the creative control of the Modern Warfare brand and the right to approve any Call of Duty games set after the Vietnam war.

The lawsuit asserts that after the release of Modern Warfare 2, Activision set up an investigation to "manufacture a basis to fire West and Zampella". An SEC filing from earlier in the week accuses the pair of breach of contract and insubordination.

When they enquired about the investigation, the lawsuit states that the were told in "Orwellian fashion that West and Zampella 'already have a clear understanding of what they have or have not done'"

The document also claims West and Zampella were "interrogated for over six hours" in a windowless room and that other Infinity Ward employees were bought to tears by questioning.

Yesterday, English lawyer and litigation expert Jas Purewal suggested that future Modern Warfare releases could be vetoed by the pair if the court rules in their favour.

Activision has dismissed the lawsuit as "meritless" and said that it is disappointed that West and Zampella have taken legal action.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/modern-warfare-lawsuit-accuses-activision-of-unbridled-greed

Insomniac-Evolution
March 5th, 2010, 21:47
Call Of Duty - Activision Vs Infinity Ward

You can understand both points of view, but infinity ward isn't tony montana, or are they? dies in the end lol

watupgroupie
March 6th, 2010, 00:44
I like Activision at times, but man are they in the wrong here. They publish some quality games sometimes but not paying the developer after making a game like this one is complete crap. I hope they win that lawsuit and Activision loses some rights to the series.

symbal
March 6th, 2010, 01:04
I used to think EA was bad but they just the general too many sequels work you too hard and stifle creativity sort of mega developers, but they admitted a lot of their mistakes and genuinely seemed to improve, but when Activision starts scheming to fire people who oppose their greed it's just well out of order, i seriously hope they lose control of MW here.

psyfirefly
March 7th, 2010, 11:05
Activision will win, because they have the money to buy off the judges. The judges will take the money because the law is corrupt in almost every nation on this planet.

Eviltaco64
March 7th, 2010, 18:19
I'm not sure if this story has been exaggerated, but I'd still go with Infinity Ward. Activision really has become a shit company.

Still love Keystone Kapers, though. :P