PDA

View Full Version : Possible first-ever bricked 2.71 PSP?

IndianCheese
July 24th, 2006, 07:08
I saw this and just HAD to post it.

Someone on the QJ.net forums claims his 2.71 PSP has become bricked. If you are too lazy to click the link, read my summary here.

By the way he tells it, he turned on his PSP one day like normal, but received an error message--a RED screen-of-death similar to the "corrupted settings" one that appears when a PSP is downgraded from 2.00 to 1.50. He says that the message says "A serious error has occurred. Contact Sony Technical Support line for assistance." (I wouldn't doubt that Sony would put a message like this into the PSP in case a random bricking occurred.). He then says that he turned his PSP off, turned it back on, played some GTA, and turned it off. Then, when he went to turn it back on, he got nothing but a power light and a black screen, the classic "brick" profile.

LOL and then he called them and said "is my PSP bricked" and they were like "what's that mean?" so he hung up!

What do you think? I, personally, believe this entirely. I just wonder how things like this happen (i.e. a friend I talked to on AIM the other day said that his 2.71 randomly got its settings corrupted). Maybe Sony slipped up big time and coded a bug into their latest system software?

Check it out:
http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=59215&page=1&pp=10

Voltron
July 24th, 2006, 07:11
ha ha. Another reason NOT to upgrade to 2.71 --> Just emulate it ;-)

BL4Z3D247
July 24th, 2006, 07:15
ha ha. Another reason NOT to upgrade to 2.71 --> Just emulate it ;-)
couldn't of said it better myself lol

jwilds73
July 24th, 2006, 07:22
For added security they now brick your system so you can't run anything lol.

phazi
July 24th, 2006, 07:30
lol yep best working psp to sony is one that dosnt work at all

samthegreat68
July 24th, 2006, 07:36
"what's that mean?"

LOL!

kando
July 24th, 2006, 07:37
even the best stuff has glitches...bad eggs....nothing is perfect!

the least sony can do is fix/replace it for him....but ever rare as it is, anything can go wrong at any time, no matter what the technology is.

pkmaximum
July 24th, 2006, 07:41
You know if it is true that the latest firmware has some type of bug in it then this could possible lead to an exploit. Because for a brick really to occur something has to be written to the flash and we know GTA has had past experiences with hacking. So if we can find out how files were written to the flash or tinkered with than maybe we can find a way to downgrade the firmware. Not that it effects me I'm a happy 1.5 user with emulated 2.71 firmware lol =P

Squidman
July 24th, 2006, 07:42
this is so stoopid.....but the emulated firmware has bugged out on me a little, and yes, it wus on the default CPU speed, but it's most likely that it's just the fact that it's being emulated.....

if this is true, i hope that he can atleast get a free PSP from the Sony, it is THEIR update that bricked it!

SnoopKatt
July 24th, 2006, 07:43
I believe it, it was probably just a screw up or something.

ACID
July 24th, 2006, 07:46
I agree with pkmaximum ther has to be some usesage of the flash for this to happen.

pkmaximum
July 24th, 2006, 07:48
I'm really interested in finding out how his PSP was bricked though because for that too happen iether the main update something just critically went wrong, or somehow his flash got overwriten but for that too happen their would have to be some way to run unassigned functions or there is just a strange glitch.

I don't think this is true but maybe if the firmware of 2.71 acesses the kernal at all (exploit wise) it automatically bricks =S I have high doubts on this one but its not totally unethical right?

Mustang
July 24th, 2006, 07:49
Wow they sure spend a long time validatiting the dude's story : of course there's a "red screen of death" - Im pretty sure its the old guru meditation screen so familiar to Amiga users years ago...

I've had it a few times myself on my 1.51 > 2.00 < 1.50 psp : never worried too much about it.......till now lol

psp411
July 24th, 2006, 07:52
it might not be bricked. I usually get the signs of bricking on my psp often... after the use of devhook but usually, my psp boots back up after a while. even though i was scared that this happened, it happened even without devhook adn i didnt know what to do. i qwickly linked the "false bricking" to overheating of my psp( which i rly dont see why when i run evry app under 333 mhz... i NEVER use my psp at that level of strength)and even when its cool sometimes, it still wont boot itself back up. anyways you might be asking... if it showed signs of brinking, why did u try with it?... well to answer that, ive seen many bricked psps in my time( lik in 15 n ive seen 1 but yea) and the symptons it showed in being bricked was that the power light would shut itself off after 10-15 seconds of being on. My psp never did turn itself back off when i turned it on so i knew something else was wrong other than it being bricked. this is when i came to my conclusion that it wasnt bricked but it doesnt load off the nand flash as well anymore but now relies on my memorystick to load.I occasionally remove the memory stick and it loads properly but sometimes when the stick is in, it doesnt bother to load. ive had this problem for 1.5 weeks for evryday in those weeks but today, its worked fine under regular use. so even though i am puzzled it doesnt seem to bother me and thats why i believe that the man's psp might not be bricked. it might be like mine=P... time for the modchip while i can still use my psp. wudnt want to not use it for months before i get the chip haha=D

ps... btw, if anybody can help me with my problem plz post back. adn if you have the same psp symptomes i have than also post too. thanks.

Squidman
July 24th, 2006, 07:53
pkmaximum.....that is an excellent idea

eLAy12
July 24th, 2006, 08:26
Could this be the opening homebrew needs to crack fw2.71? It's exciting!

andrew24
July 26th, 2006, 19:05
For added security they now brick your system so you can't run anything lol.

that was the funnyist thing ive heard in a month
________
no2 vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/no2/)

Video_freak
July 26th, 2006, 19:40
the guy probably accidently pulled the battery while updating.......

crait
July 26th, 2006, 20:59
as pkmaximum
it might be the case
to ultimately kill homebrew sony might have done that, or might in the future
and ive heard something like this before too