View Full Version : DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

Pages : [1] 2

deniska
July 24th, 2006, 17:14
Here is a farely simple way to connect your PSP to a GPS receiver:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp_gps.JPG

You'll need:

- Holux GPSlim236 (~$100)
- Intec G6704 PSP Remote Control (~$11). Alternatively you can rip the connector of your original remote control.
- USB (Mini B) cable ($5-10) (don't use the included USB power cable)
- 1K 1/4watt resistor (>$1)
- Electric tape ($2 roll)

Tools:
- Soldering iron
- Multimeter (for checking the connector pins, alternatively you can use just a circuit made out of a low voltage bulb and a battery)
- Razor blade (to cut and clean stuff)

Basically, you just need to cut the USB cable and PSP remote plug, figure out which wires go to the connector pins, listed below, and connect them according to the diagram:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/PSP_GPS_CONNECTION.jpg

Use caution when connecting the wires, make sure all of them are carefully insulated. You don't want to short any of them, since this may brick your PSP or GPS device.
Also, GPSlim 236 spec says that the TXD voltage may range from 3.2 to 5 V, so 1K resistor may not be enough to lower the voltage in some cases. So buy a few resistors: 5k,3k,2k,1k and see if your circuit works with a bigger value resistor first..

Once your cable is finished, test your setup with a little GPS viewer program that I wrote:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/gps_viewer.zip
The source code is included in the zip...
Note, the program is written to work in kernel mode, so I doubt that it will work on 2+ fw..
Perhaps someone can look in to how to adjust it...

Here is the screenshoot:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/gps_viewer.JPG

So, waht's the point you ask? I am planning to plug this in to the upcoming map viewer applcation, which, of course will be able to point your gps location on a google-like map in real time... and scroll the map as you move along...

Special thanks to Art and futaris for helpping me out with serial port comm problems...

Almost forgot a disclaimer: As always, I am not responsible for any damages...

[EDIT]
The setup, described above, should also work with some older (and therefore cheaper) holux models: GR-230, GR-231. You can get those for ~45-60 bucks.

Wally
July 25th, 2006, 01:15
Freaking awesome.

Hey deniska, if you can do this this way then why cant we have a REAL tv tuner for the PSP :)

Psyberjock
July 25th, 2006, 04:29
a couple of numbers through a serial port and a stream of television information are two completely different things. GPS information is realtively small but a TV broadcast requires a lot of bandwidth. A serial port can't provide that much.

Wally
July 25th, 2006, 04:54
O ok.
Thanks for verifying that with me :)

what about the USB port though?

deniska
July 25th, 2006, 05:54
O ok.
Thanks for verifying that with me :)

what about the USB port though?

In order to pull this thing through USB, PSP would need to be a USB host, This is something that it was not designed to be....
Most of periferials (including usb tv tuners and PSP) are usb clients, and clients can't talk to each other :-(

BTW, USB-like port in GPSlim 236 is not really a usb port.. they just use a mini B usb connector...

lewbacca
July 25th, 2006, 12:49
does this work with other gps devices too? or is it only for this 236?

deniska
July 25th, 2006, 15:32
does this work with other gps devices too? or is it only for this 236?
It probably does, with some adjustments...
You'll have to look at particular device's spec to know for sure...
236 was picked because it's small, self-powered and could be used with other hardware - laptops, cell-phones, etc..

futaris
July 26th, 2006, 06:59
Thanks for the thanks Deniska...

NMEAp (http://www.dmh2000.com/nmea/nmeap.shtml) looks like a simple easy to use NMEA parser... In the long run, it might be better to use GPSd and libgps (http://gpsd.berlios.de/). It would allow us to connect to an external GPS and/or share GPS data through WLAN, etc...

Anyhow, probably more important to get KML, KMZ or GPX parsing working once maps are up and running.

Computer_kid
July 27th, 2006, 16:50
Very Cool! I like it a lot!

lewbacca
July 27th, 2006, 19:51
nice. thank you for confirmung my research about the compatibility of the gps devies :D

i ordered myself a 231 today. i will tell you if it works =)

btw.. do i need to recode your testing programm? wouldnt be that problem, but knowing it, before testing and find it not working would be better^^

deniska
July 27th, 2006, 23:09
nice. thank you for confirmung my research about the compatibility of the gps devies :D

i ordered myself a 231 today. i will tell you if it works =)

btw.. do i need to recode your testing programm? wouldnt be that problem, but knowing it, before testing and find it not working would be better^^
I don't think you need to recode anything...
From what I remember, 231 has exactly the same interface spec...

tommydanger
July 28th, 2006, 21:57
this is actually pretty kewl stuff :)
I remember when a friend and I built a security system(shool told us so), all from scratch.
This was the very first time we used a microcontroller :)
I think I'll buy a microcontroller programmer for my own personal use ;)
Basically the microcontroller checked a applied voltage, (can't remember the pin) and if it goes under a certain value it sends AT commands through the serial port to the modem and a sms was sent :)
The whole developing stuff was quite entertaining ;)
We also created a PCB for it :)

keep it up deniska ;)
I think I'll buy a similar GPS thing ;)

A Fn NOOB
July 28th, 2006, 22:55
Can someone recompile this for 4800 baud? Please?

I am in the process of educating myself on how to use the SDK, but I want to play with my gps/psp!

I mananged to make an EBOOT with the bitrate changed to 38400, but it was full of errors.

lewbacca
July 28th, 2006, 23:26
isnt it already at 38400?

pspDebugSioSetBaud(38400);

A Fn NOOB
July 29th, 2006, 00:05
I meant 4800

deniska
July 29th, 2006, 05:31
Here you go... (4800)
Let me know if it works...

lewbacca
July 29th, 2006, 11:03
I meant 4800

which gps mouse are u going to use?

@deniska: are you planning to release the mapviewer sourcecode?
i am very interested in getting my hands on that one :D

deniska
July 29th, 2006, 19:33
@deniska: are you planning to release the mapviewer sourcecode?
i am very interested in getting my hands on that one :D

Of course, I'll release it... l

A Fn NOOB
July 29th, 2006, 21:35
I couldnt get it to work.

I tried a Pharos GPS-360 that I had on hand. It came with MS Streets & Trips 2005. Its SIRF-II based, 3.3V-5.5V input. Output is 4800 8N1 TTL 0-2.5V.

The cord had already been hacked up (It has a PLL serial-usb device in the cord). I had used this when I was playing around with APRS last year, so I am very familiar with the pinout of this unit & so forth.

I powered the reciever separately with 5vDC, and connected GND and TX from the GPS to pins 2, 6 on the PSP. When the GPS is powered, the TX voltage starts fluctuating between 0-2.5V. (It does send sentences even if no satellites are seen)

I tried it with no resistor, & a 1k resistor, but the program sits at "please connect gps to psp"

What is the default bit-rate for the PSP?

Surely the data that the GPS is spitting out is interoperable with the PSP.....

Take a look at this, its dated but relevant for sure:

http://www.msh-tools.com/GBA/gbagps.html

(APRS =GPS + HAM radio for realtime GPS tracking)

deniska
July 29th, 2006, 22:36
I couldnt get it to work.

I tried a Pharos GPS-360 that I had on hand. It came with MS Streets & Trips 2005. Its SIRF-II based, 3.3V-5.5V input. Output is 4800 8N1 TTL 0-2.5V.

The cord had already been hacked up (It has a PLL serial-usb device in the cord). I had used this when I was playing around with APRS last year, so I am very familiar with the pinout of this unit & so forth.

I powered the reciever separately with 5vDC, and connected GND and TX from the GPS to pins 2, 6 on the PSP. When the GPS is powered, the TX voltage starts fluctuating between 0-2.5V. (It does send sentences even if no satellites are seen)

I tried it with no resistor, & a 1k resistor, but the program sits at "please connect gps to psp"

What is the default bit-rate for the PSP?

Surely the data that the GPS is spitting out is interoperable with the PSP.....

Take a look at this, its dated but relevant for sure:

http://www.msh-tools.com/GBA/gbagps.html

(APRS =GPS + HAM radio for realtime GPS tracking)

Try to use the serial echo prog, included with lua player... see if you can get anything on a screen with it...

A Fn NOOB
July 29th, 2006, 22:52
Ok, will try that and get back with you.

A Fn NOOB
July 29th, 2006, 23:21
Yes, when I connect tx to pin 6 I the screen begins to fill up with random, garbled text... which is a good sign!

A Fn NOOB
July 30th, 2006, 04:08
I opened a copy of the serial app. that came with lua in Notepad, and changed the 2400 to 4800, saved it to the psp, and now Im getting text that is more like NMEA sentences now.

It appears to be skipping characters, much like the situation you were describing with your setup, except I think it may be LUA-based, I remember reading something from 'Art' on another forum about speed limitations with the LUA-players' SIO.

I'll keep plugging away at it, dont let me distract you from your Mapping project.

deniska
July 30th, 2006, 09:32
I opened a copy of the serial app. that came with lua in Notepad, and changed the 2400 to 4800, saved it to the psp, and now Im getting text that is more like NMEA sentences now.

It appears to be skipping characters, much like the situation you were describing with your setup, except I think it may be LUA-based, I remember reading something from 'Art' on another forum about speed limitations with the LUA-players' SIO.

I'll keep plugging away at it, dont let me distract you from your Mapping project.

Lua is slow amd has it's limitations, but at least you know that your cable works...
I suggest that you figgure out what's wrong with your pspsdk setup, change and recompile my application (try to just print out characters, that it reads w/o parsing them in to structures... see if you can get full NMEA sentenses.. currently, it looks like the parser cannot validate the checksum....
Following thread may help you: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=6294&highlight=

A Fn NOOB
July 30th, 2006, 21:25
Ok I finally found a tutorial on setting up PSPSDK that actually had links to the correct files/libraries.

I merely changed the bitrate in your GPSVIEWER program (Not the modified one you posted yesterday)*, recompiled it, and executed it. Im getting correct gps data in all fields.

The GPS-360 is a great reciever to play around with, considering you can get them dirt cheap, its small, and has that cool blue LED glow :) Im picking up 3 satellites inside my living room with the reciever about 6 ft away from the window.

I look forward to trying your mapping project when it becomes available!

* you may want to delete that modified GPSviewer you posted here for me, I never could get it to run.

lewbacca
July 30th, 2006, 22:40
another GPS device on the compatibility list =) that is just nice!

deniska
July 31st, 2006, 02:00
Ok I finally found a tutorial on setting up PSPSDK that actually had links to the correct files/libraries.

I merely changed the bitrate in your GPSVIEWER program (Not the modified one you posted yesterday)*, recompiled it, and executed it. Im getting correct gps data in all fields.

I look forward to trying your mapping project when it becomes available!

* you may want to delete that modified GPSviewer you posted here for me, I never could get it to run.

Good stuff, man!
Sorry for that program.. I must have changed something else there, while experimenting... Well, I am glad you figured that one out...
Perhaps you should start another thread, showing how to hook GPS-360 with the PSP. Some people may appreciate it...

As to the map viewer, I am still pretty far from a public release, but I may need a few testers in a week or so to start trying in on the streets...
So PM me if you want to help - I'll hook you up with the source code....

lewbacca
July 31st, 2006, 10:24
as i stated before, i should receive my holux gr-231 this week.. should arrive on tuesday or wednesday.
i could help you, if you still need someone ;)

seesoe
August 3rd, 2006, 21:45
i bought a Holux GPSlim236 yesturday it should be here either tomorow most likely . im trying to do the cable i got all the parts for it, but im kinda lost on the port on the gps unit, is that port a usb b port? if so that would mean from my usb b cable the red wire will go to pin 2 on the psp and the green wire from the usb will go to pin 6 on the psp with 1k resistor between?
can someone correct me plz

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 22:12
get a multimeter and check the pinout..
the colors mean nothing.

you can see the pins which u have to use on deniskas pictures.

seesoe
August 3rd, 2006, 22:15
its a usb b male that goes into the gps unit right?

my unit didn't come yet

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 22:30
yep its a mini b connector.

Xern
August 5th, 2006, 11:22
I just did this with a Garmin GPSmap 60C, works a charm :D
Didn't need any resistors, either. Just had to recompile with 4800baud - I can give the eboot to anyone who asks.
Btw Deniska: Be sure to put in "selectable baud rates" in your mapping program, not everyone knows how to recompile. ^^

EDIT: How to connect it all: http://www.home.no/xern/gpsmap60c-psp.jpg

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

seesoe
August 6th, 2006, 02:51
thats a better pic

my slim should be here monday

deniska
August 7th, 2006, 04:33
I just did this with a Garmin GPSmap 60C, works a charm :D
Didn't need any resistors, either. Just had to recompile with 4800baud - I can give the eboot to anyone who asks.
Btw Deniska: Be sure to put in "selectable baud rates" in your mapping program, not everyone knows how to recompile. ^^

EDIT: How to connect it all: http://www.home.no/xern/gpsmap60c-psp.jpg

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

Good job!!
Let me know if you want to beta-test the mapviewer with your GPS setup... If you do - PM your PSP's MAC address and I'll hook you up with the binary..

tngai1984
August 7th, 2006, 23:01
i own a Microsoft gps, will it work?, i am totally new to this. how am i going to know which wire link to which end? if i am right then there is only going to be 2 wires that need to be rewired? will i be able to run microsoft map on there?
or even micro softs pocket PC map? will it work with 2.6 or higher?

lewbacca
August 7th, 2006, 23:30
i own a Microsoft gps, will it work?, yes it works with every device afaik.
how am i going to know which wire link to which end? you can check the pinout with the hardware specification paper. or google searching
if i am right then there is only going to be 2 wires that need to be rewired? yes. using deniskas method gps wiring is fairly easy
will i be able to run microsoft map on there?nope

or even micro softs pocket PC map?nope
will it work with 2.6 or higher?
deniska should tell ya if it runs on 2.6.. but higher = no

tngai1984
August 7th, 2006, 23:50
thanks for the reply, but what will be the higherst update it can run on?

lewbacca
August 8th, 2006, 09:34
1.50 can do it for sure..

deniska
August 8th, 2006, 15:30
lewnacca, thanks for answering this for me...
You are correct, currently, the gps functionalityrequires certain calls, only available on 1.0-1.5 fw
About the device, compatibility: it should work with all gps devices, which support serial comm port and NMEA protocol..

seesoe
August 8th, 2006, 20:07
well today was the day my gps unit came in.
it took me about 30min to do everything from opening the box to opening the gps to find the pins in needed. to wireing the cable and to testing, it went quite easy, i used a 1k resister.

http://www.el-halawa.net/gps/S4020085.JPG

http://www.el-halawa.net/gps/S4020086.JPG

http://www.el-halawa.net/gps/S4020087.JPG

im very intrested to try the maping project

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 20:25
its nice to see it was successful seesoe :) and less than a half hour to assemble and test? wow :)

tngai1984
August 8th, 2006, 21:20
anyone think it will work with the usb port on the umd opening?

deniska
August 8th, 2006, 21:20
well today was the day my gps
im very intrested to try the maping project

Send me PM with your PSP's MAC address I'll send you the current dev version...

deniska
August 8th, 2006, 21:23
anyone think it will work with the usb port on the umd opening?
Noway, there are a few threads ps2dev.org explaining why it would not work, at least with "regular" gps devices

deniska
August 9th, 2006, 02:38
seesoe, can you verify the speed that you read from the gps236?

Mine seems to always get 20-30% lower value, then the actual, especially when driving fast...
I wonder if this is just my unit or all of them.. or perhaps something in the code...

seesoe
August 10th, 2006, 05:56
seesoe, can you verify the speed that you read from the gps236?

Mine seems to always get 20-30% lower value, then the actual, especially when driving fast...
I wonder if this is just my unit or all of them.. or perhaps something in the code...
yes i can i also found that when i was going about 56 the psp would read out 45 it was always around this number of differ when going fast. im starting to think its with the setup maybe, cuz i also used the gps reading program that has the green background to it and i found it was about the same thing. i might charge the battery of the gps unit and hook it up to my laptop and re do the speed testing.

maybe we can narrow it down with the help of f n noob's speed read out from both gps programs with the use of his gps 360 http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif

deniska
August 10th, 2006, 06:01
yes i can i also found that when i was going about 56 the psp would read out 45 it was always around this number of differ when going fast. im starting to think its with the setup maybe, cuz i also used the gps reading program that has the green background to it and i found it was about the same thing. i might charge the battery of the gps unit and hook it up to my laptop and re do the speed testing.

maybe we can narrow it down with the help of f n noob's speed read out from both gps programs with the use of his gps 360 http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif

I got it figured out.. I did not read the NMEA spec carefully.. the speed is posted in KNOTTS.. I already made adjustments to the code to make the speedfix configurable so you can convert it to MPH or KPH

seesoe
August 10th, 2006, 06:10
oh ok i see now, easy fix:p:)

deniska
August 10th, 2006, 07:06
oh ok i see now, easy fix:p:)
I fixed that and tweaked the graphics a bit...
Still may need someone to work on better graphics: fonts icons, etc...

fokia
August 10th, 2006, 11:09
Oh my God!

I've been following this thread for a wile now. I’m completely amazed with your work and also with the PSP capabilities – they’re endless! This is also my first post in DCemu…

Well I’m convinced to buy a GPSlim236 (nice choice too) just don’t want to rip the original remote and don’t seem to find a replace nearby (Portugal), seems I have to order online… The hook-up is so dam simple that it even hassles me!

Don’t want to get you out of coding dept. but why don’t you free a pre-release, even though, without the source code if you don’t think is ready yet for general public? I’m not censoring you or something just can’t wait to get my hands on it… Or, your strategy is going to aim for a commercial route (couldn’t blame you, either…)?

If I build the set-up (as soon as I get the parts…) could you hook me up with your soft?

Now for the Beta testers (especially LEWBACCA, A Fn NOOB and SEESOE):

Could some of you make a small tutorial of how to use the scripts for map generation (and other info you find usefull), to enlighten other users and free DENISKA of doing so?

Tank you all!

deniska
August 10th, 2006, 14:18
Oh my God!

Don’t want to get you out of coding dept. but why don’t you free a pre-release, even though, without the source code if you don’t think is ready yet for general public? I’m not censoring you or something just can’t wait to get my hands on it… Or, your strategy is going to aim for a commercial route (couldn’t blame you, either…)?

Tank you all!

I decided to enter this program in to a coding competition, and the rules say that it must be the first public release.... So just wait a bit more...
I believe the deadline is Aug 20...
I will not be able to squizz all the stuff that I wanted to accomplish by then, but I'll release it anyway... for free & with source, of course :-)
No commercial routes!!!

seesoe
August 10th, 2006, 15:30
If I build the set-up (as soon as I get the parts…) could you hook me up with your soft?

Now for the Beta testers (especially LEWBACCA, A Fn NOOB and SEESOE):

Could some of you make a small tutorial of how to use the scripts for map generation (and other info you find usefull)
well i don't see why i could do it buy should it be done now? where should i post it?

deniska
August 10th, 2006, 15:45
You should be able to start a new thread im my forums if you want to...

seesoe
August 10th, 2006, 15:46
ok will title it MapThis wifi download lol

fokia
August 10th, 2006, 16:11
Well,

@Deniska
Didn't know it was for running on a coding contest - that explains it… – hope you win! And hope to see a lot of other interesting projects too…

Hope to, by Aug. 20, already have my GPS&cable, if not sooner.

ok will title it MapThis wifi download lol
@Seesoe
I only requested that because Deniska already did request help (to keep him focused in coding) and it would be a great help for those starting with this tool when the public release is out… I don’t think it (map gen) will mutate that much as of the public release, or will it?

thanks...

seesoe
August 10th, 2006, 16:13
no from what i see just a little fix with the wifi updage i will make the thread in about 20min fater i finish something im doin

deniska
August 11th, 2006, 07:25
Little update:
Looks like I finally nailed the "TRACK UP" MODE (where the map rotates so you always move up)

The "NORTH UP" got me always puzzled which way to turn while I was driving...

seesoe: sorry I did not send you the latest version.. I'll try to do it tomorrow...

fokia
August 11th, 2006, 10:30
Hello!

Excelent... but, maybe I like it better when was the pointer traveling around, of course that's only my point of view and I haven't felt it to see wich is better... Will/could it be an option that kind of behaviour?

seesoe
August 11th, 2006, 11:21
hey thats looking good, what if the time was displayed bigger? move it straight down under the alt
insted of haveing it small all the way up there, and maybe it could be made 12setup

random thoughts flowing:D

deniska
August 11th, 2006, 14:01
Hello!

Excelent... but, maybe I like it better when was the pointer traveling around, of course that's only my point of view and I haven't felt it to see wich is better... Will/could it be an option that kind of behaviour?
Of course, I made it so you can switch it back and forth as you drive....

deniska
August 11th, 2006, 14:09
hey thats looking good, what if the time was displayed bigger? move it straight down under the alt
insted of haveing it small all the way up there, and maybe it could be made 12setup

random thoughts flowing:D
Don't know if time is important enough to be in large font... I put it in. mostly for debugging purposes: as timestamps for NMEA data - to make sure it's changing and up to date...

fokia
August 11th, 2006, 14:51
Don't know other ongoing projects for the coding contest you're on but for sure you are a STRONG contender. I read somewhere else about a coding contest but can’t remember were... Which contest is it? Is there a way for vote in fav projects?

Keep going! :)

deniska
August 11th, 2006, 15:15
check out http://www.neoflash.com/

fokia
August 11th, 2006, 15:44
check out http://www.neoflash.com/

votes only take place after take place after the contest is closed... I'll check it later on... there ain't nothing much to see right now...
Thanks!

deniska
August 11th, 2006, 16:07
To my beta-testers (you know who you are) : I dumped the new version at the same location.
I did some changes to gps read&parse logic, so let me know if it still works with different gps units..
While in GPS mode you can toggle "TRACK UP" by pressing RIGHT arrow. You can capture your NMEA sentenses to gps.txt file by pressing LEFT arrow.. (to replay it, you'll need to change FAKEFEED variable in config.txt

deniska
August 12th, 2006, 02:45
I need someone with 2.0+ FW to help me testing..

PM me your PSP's MAC address & FW version if interested.

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 03:47
i will help once my psp's in ;)

lewbacca
August 12th, 2006, 09:57
I need someone with 2.0+ FW to help me testing..

PM me your PSP's MAC address & FW version if interested.
if my gps finally arrives today (-_- ****ing german post offices) i could try devhooking 2.xx. i got gta and eloader should be running.. so would be no problem.

//edit: Ok i can't.. I just sat on my gta umd... :/

md2
August 12th, 2006, 16:19
i have one of these (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30832) gps receivers, and i would like to connect to the psp...

i notice that you power the gps unit from the psp, whereas the developer who uses the gps unit i own connects it to an external power source... is it possible to power the gps360 via the single cable, as you do here..? if so, what wires do i need to connect for the power..? will i need a resistor..?

many thanks - i apologize if these questions are basic, and i appreciate any input and or advice.

seesoe
August 12th, 2006, 18:46
the psp will not give enough power to power a gps unit from the serial port. the Holux GPSlim236 used in this setup here has its own battery. the one you have gps360 does not have a battery it gets its power from the usb when u plug it into the computer.

md2
August 12th, 2006, 22:07
OK

so i will need to work another battery solution...

thanks for clearing that up for me.

seesoe
August 13th, 2006, 03:04
no prob

crater
August 13th, 2006, 06:06
Hi, Just saw the videos of this that hit all the PSP news sites today, Must have been on vacation the firs time around to have not seen this project sooner. I just ripped up my PSP's Remote cable, i never use it anyway so it's not close to a huge deal, And i had the problems getting that damned plastic insulation or whatever they put around the connectors, and it ripped the wires. I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what colors go where, and which are actualy Used. If a Big picture can be supplied it would help a bit more. I'm Partialy Color blind so the small pictures are a bit difficult for me to tell the diffrences on the cables. One i found seems to show only the GND and Blue are being used? Is this true? If so which destinguishing color is the ground? thanks.

deniska
August 13th, 2006, 08:06
Hi, Just saw the videos of this that hit all the PSP news sites today, Must have been on vacation the firs time around to have not seen this project sooner. I just ripped up my PSP's Remote cable, i never use it anyway so it's not close to a huge deal, And i had the problems getting that damned plastic insulation or whatever they put around the connectors, and it ripped the wires. I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what colors go where, and which are actualy Used. If a Big picture can be supplied it would help a bit more. I'm Partialy Color blind so the small pictures are a bit difficult for me to tell the diffrences on the cables. One i found seems to show only the GND and Blue are being used? Is this true? If so which destinguishing color is the ground? thanks.

As I said before, I do not recommend to make any connections based on color of the wires...

Buy/borrow a multi-tester @ radioshack (or any electronics parts store) and measure the resistance between the cable connector pins and the wires on the other side of the cable...
I bought my tester at radioshack and returned it next day... ;-)

You can even create a "tester tool" yourself out of a small low voltage bulb, 2 wires and a battery...

lewbacca
August 13th, 2006, 11:08
like deniska said..
when i soldered my wires, i didn't even see a difference between 2 colors. it is very much safer if you test the wires before. everything else could result in a brick :/

seesoe
August 13th, 2006, 21:25
crater i was also like you if your read the thread i asked for colors so i can hook my gps up, i just used my 10 dollar multimeter i got a while ago at radio shack, and if you noticed i didn't solder my cable up, if you want to do the same you will have to strip your psp remote very carful don't stech the cable or anything it will just make it harder to strip the inside wires, instead just get a sharp blade and use that to strip the outer wire. now the kinda hard part the inside wires are very small and they are coated with this streachy metiral, use ur teeth, get a good grip on the wire, but not to hard where when you pull it will rip the main wire* and pull. if you do this right you should be good to go. thats what i did do it at your own risk im not responsible if you mess anything up

crater
August 13th, 2006, 22:14
Alright, I already have a mutlimeeter/tester, so i'm set on that. I'm just looking for the cable from the GPS's USB cable that's sending the information then? Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

seesoe
August 13th, 2006, 22:16
your welceom, all you need for that cable is a usb mini b head, for example the psp data cable has that head*don't use that one lol* also a lot of flash mp3 players have that head some digital cams have that head for data transfer

jay87
August 14th, 2006, 01:19
Greetings,

Just wanted to let you know I just ordered the Holux GPSlim236 and I have everything ready when the unit arrives.

I am going to be having an identical setup as seesoe let me know if I can be of any help.

- Jay

seesoe
August 14th, 2006, 01:42
thats what i did jay87, i had everything ready by time the gps unit came

good luck

post_break
August 14th, 2006, 21:59
Im really looking forward to getting this working on my psp. I cant seem to find the older holux models mentioned in the first post though. Does anyone have any links to these? also Im in the us so that might be a problem.

deniska
August 14th, 2006, 22:14
Im really looking forward to getting this working on my psp. I cant seem to find the older holux models mentioned in the first post though. Does anyone have any links to these? also Im in the us so that might be a problem.
Check Ebay/Amazon

post_break
August 15th, 2006, 00:51
Check Ebay/Amazon

Will do! Also where did you get that psp dock for your car? I have been looking for one like it and cant find anything like it.

Also, do you have a donations link?

deniska
August 15th, 2006, 02:22
Arkon mount, came bundled with my gps receiver...

I posted this answer as well as some others a few times already...
People just don't seem to bother to read through anymore before they ask :-(

seesoe
August 15th, 2006, 02:25
Arkon mount, came bundled with my gps receiver...

I posted this answer as well as some others a few times already...
People just don't seem to bother to read through anymore before they ask :-(
thats what happens when the theard gets long, or just lazy people they want mouth fed answers

post_break
August 15th, 2006, 03:19
Well I just read the entire thread and didnt see where he said what mount he used, I may have passed over it.

Well my gps unit is on the way though, looking forward to getting it to work.

jay87
August 15th, 2006, 04:04
Do a search on eBay for: ARKON PSP

I just bought one from there for $20.50 shipped.

Russoxley187
August 15th, 2006, 20:12
is this the correct receiver?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-GPSlim236-GPS-Receiver-with-A-C-Vent-Mount_W0QQitemZ130015167825QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4668 QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

deniska
August 15th, 2006, 21:52
is this the correct receiver?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-GPSlim236-GPS-Receiver-with-A-C-Vent-Mount_W0QQitemZ130015167825QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4668 QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yeah, that one will do...
Just keep in mind, this hack is currently only for 1.5 FW PSPs

Russoxley187
August 15th, 2006, 21:55
I have one that 1.5 already.
Is there any way that you could post a cleared pic of the solder points for us?

BTW...

You ROCK !!!

deniska
August 15th, 2006, 22:03
Holux GND (pin1) ----------------------------> PSP pin2
Holux TXD (pin3) --> [1K resistor] --------> PSP pin6

Sorry, I sealed my connector cap with crazy glue - don't think I'll be able to re-open it to make better shots... ;-)

md2
August 16th, 2006, 04:41
is there any particular tyoe of mini usb cable i should use, or would any of them do..?

i know i dont want to use the one that comes with the gps 'cos that's the one that interfaces with the charger, but could i use any othr mini-usb cable i have lying around...?

do they all have that big cap/knob on them (behind the mini usb plug, after a short length of cable, and then cable continues on the other side), and should i leave the cap attached, and then cut into the cable, or should i get rid of the big cap/knob..?

thanks.

fokia
August 16th, 2006, 10:32
is there any particular tyoe of mini usb cable i should use, or would any of them do..?

i know i dont want to use the one that comes with the gps 'cos that's the one that interfaces with the charger, but could i use any othr mini-usb cable i have lying around...?

do they all have that big cap/knob on them (behind the mini usb plug, after a short length of cable, and then cable continues on the other side), and should i leave the cap attached, and then cut into the cable, or should i get rid of the big cap/knob..?

thanks.

Well any type of USB miniB should work... keep in mind that the usb connector on the HOLUX ain't got nothing to do with usb... its a camouflaged serial+charging connection.

The cap/knob usually conceals a ferrite core, it should act like an buffer/filter to avoid signal loss and degradation (remove EMI/RF), for this purpose it should work well without it (anyone correct me if I'm wrong...)

You might get some advantage of using those if you're in to high quality audio reccording somehow (e.g., minidisc's), or to comply with FCC or other standards...

MJ DwaTrzy
August 16th, 2006, 19:04
This is my GPS http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsci0034fw5.jpg , but I have a problem. I don't have any signal quality. It is searching for something all the time, there are some numbers, but nothing happens. I can't connect it to PC with USB cable. What should I do now?

lewbacca
August 16th, 2006, 19:24
are you inside your room?

get outside.. gps nearly needs sightcontact with a satellite..

MJ DwaTrzy
August 16th, 2006, 19:45
ok, everything is working now. Iam able to catch the signal. But where I can get maps?

sorry about my english... i hope you can understand me

lewbacca
August 16th, 2006, 21:20
u dont need them, since you dont have deniskas application yet ;)

MJ DwaTrzy
August 16th, 2006, 21:55
and what do you think about this http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/11/gps_on_your_psp.html

deniska
August 16th, 2006, 22:37
ok, everything is working now. Iam able to catch the signal. But where I can get maps?

sorry about my english... i hope you can understand me

Just wait another 2-3 days I'll release the viewer...

seesoe
August 16th, 2006, 22:46
ya Augest 20th was the date right deniska?

seesoe
August 16th, 2006, 22:48
and what do you think about this http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/11/gps_on_your_psp.html

i remember that lua version a while back

MJ DwaTrzy
August 16th, 2006, 23:29
Just wait another 2-3 days I'll release the viewer...

Could you send me the viewer? I would like to test it. If yes then send it on my e-mail [email protected]

QKN
August 17th, 2006, 09:26
I love it! Thanks for doing this, its looking really good!

2 questions tho, will there be maps of Sweden? And will it be possible to program warnings for speed cameras?

Thanks again!

fokia
August 17th, 2006, 12:50
I love it! Thanks for doing this, its looking really good!

2 questions tho, will there be maps of Sweden? And will it be possible to program warnings for speed cameras?

Thanks again!

Deniska is the best person to answer this but from what I've read and tested with the scripts here provided (as is), its not possible, right now, retrieve data from Sweden from Google maps (to street or road level), probably whit some tweaking that could be possible... Deniska can correct me if I'm wrong

About the radars - don't know if they could be entered as point of interest (POI), provably can, but don't know how the map viewer would react to them (a proximity alarm would be good...) perhaps in a 2nd phase Deniska will be more receptive to functionality requests from users ;-) or others/yourself may upgrade the source code to suite their/your needs...

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 15:14
Deniska is the best person to answer this but from what I've read and tested with the scripts here provided (as is), its not possible, right now, retrieve data from Sweden from Google maps (to street or road level), probably whit some tweaking that could be possible... Deniska can correct me if I'm wrong

About the radars - don't know if they could be entered as point of interest (POI), provably can, but don't know how the map viewer would react to them (a proximity alarm would be good...) perhaps in a 2nd phase Deniska will be more receptive to functionality requests from users ;-) or others/yourself may upgrade the source code to suite their/your needs...

Actually, you should be able to get maps for Sweden..
You are correct about everything else though ;-)
Thanks for managing this for me :-)

fokia
August 17th, 2006, 15:48
Actually, you should be able to get maps for Sweden..
You are correct about everything else though ;-)
Thanks for managing this for me :-)

Well, continuing investigating on my own, I've managed to find the error in the script and correct it so it'll work with GM v2 API and finally retrieve data... but there is a problem though: there is an offset from the coordinates you put in, didn't figure that out yet...

Akat
August 17th, 2006, 19:20
hi, nice thing dude... i wanna try it... deniska, please do advice me wether this mouse GPS can be used? this is the only GPS receiver i can get around my place..

http://www.rsminipc.com/Gmousegps.html

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 21:57
It looks like it may work, since it does support RS-232.. just try to find out more details about the comm part: baud that it uses, RX voltage (probably 5 v), etc..

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 00:40
Hey deniska, quick question. Where do you find maps and what do you rename them and where do you put them? lol :)

Russoxley187
August 18th, 2006, 04:15
deniska, can you make me some cables?
I'll pay ya.. Only request is that they are black...
Give me a price, I tried to PM you but it wont let me..

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 05:45
If you wan't, I'll sell you mine (see the picture in the beginning of the thread) for 40 buck + whatever shipping will cost...
I was thinking of making a little softer and shorter new cable for myself...
Sorry, but it really makes no sence for me to bother with this for less money.

If interested, find a way to PM me @ this forum OR ps2dev one (same id).. I'll give you the payment instructions, etc...

To all others: I am not really interested in making those cables for money or anything else.. I do have a steady income.. and I am doing it for fun only.. :-)

Russoxley187
August 18th, 2006, 13:25
i sent you a Pm on the ps2dev forum...

lewbacca
August 18th, 2006, 13:26
mhh.. what if the gps uses another voltage? ;D

u cant use the same resistor then.. :P hehe

Russoxley187
August 18th, 2006, 17:26
Here is the link for the MapThis Software that deniska wrote...

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32584

Russoxley187
August 19th, 2006, 03:54
a question... how do you DL maps if you have a 1.5
its does not have a browser.
and if you devhook it then you cant run map this...

Russoxley187
August 19th, 2006, 03:59
nevermind.. I'm a retard...

FairladyZ4U2NV
August 20th, 2006, 02:58
Ok, I've installed all the necessary cygwin programs and plugins, but it will not download the maps. Cygwin will run the script and make all the map folders without any visible errors, but they're all empty besides a txt file in the main directory. Is there something I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

seesoe
August 20th, 2006, 03:19
you can always just do wifi update from mapthis menu its very easy to do not complex things to install, you just good beable to wait a while for it to download

when it does finish i find it the easyest way, i recently downloaded 64 by 64 size map with a base zoom of like 0 so that gives me 4 zoom levels but it took about 1hour and a half

mr-flibble
August 20th, 2006, 03:29
Hey Deniska,

I got my GPSlim236 yesterday and made a cable in about an hour.

Only problem is I can't get it to work with your Map This! program.

I tried your old green screen GPS viewer program and that works fine.
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I edited the config file to turn off the fake NMEA info.
But the display just says bad data.
I noticed the checksum value thingie for beta testers. Do I need a certain value or something?

Otherwise, great program. Certainly the best homebrew I have ever seen.
Any help appreciated.

seesoe
August 20th, 2006, 03:31
the program will not start if the checksum is wrong, but if i remember right checksum is disabled now so either way its not checksum

do the normals check if the wifi switch was on
use the global map and press square see if the arrow comes up

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 03:45
Hey Deniska,

I got my GPSlim236 yesterday and made a cable in about an hour.

Only problem is I can't get it to work with your Map This! program.

I tried your old green screen GPS viewer program and that works fine.
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I edited the config file to turn off the fake NMEA info.
But the display just says bad data.
I noticed the checksum value thingie for beta testers. Do I need a certain value or something?

Otherwise, great program. Certainly the best homebrew I have ever seen.
Any help appreciated.

take out UMD
check WIFI switch
make sure GPS' red light is blinking...

mr-flibble
August 20th, 2006, 03:56
Thanks for the fast responses guys.
WIFI off, UMD out, GPS position fix, but still no luck.

Just strange that it works fine with the old GPS viewer but not with Map This!

For the record, I made the PSP serial connector out of an old ISA card.
The cable is 1.5 metres long.

Maybe Map This! has more strict data transmission standards than GPS viewer?

I might try making a shorter cable and see if that works.

FairladyZ4U2NV
August 20th, 2006, 05:10
you can always just do wifi update from mapthis menu its very easy to do not complex things to install, you just good beable to wait a while for it to download

when it does finish i find it the easyest way, i recently downloaded 64 by 64 size map with a base zoom of like 0 so that gives me 4 zoom levels but it took about 1hour and a half

Well for some reason I can't get the WIFI to work for me. The script however does work, I just messed up. I dled wget and bc to my HD and installed from there, but let it be known that method does not work! I uninstalled them and used the cygwin setup to get them via one of the online mirrors and it worked just fine after that.

Also BTW....Deniska, thank you for making this. I can't wait to see further releases/updates!

FairladyZ4U2NV
August 20th, 2006, 06:19

I don't think the length of the cable is the problem, mine's 8 or so feet long and it links up with the 236 just fine.

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 09:10
Thanks for the fast responses guys.
WIFI off, UMD out, GPS position fix, but still no luck.

Just strange that it works fine with the old GPS viewer but not with Map This!

For the record, I made the PSP serial connector out of an old ISA card.
The cable is 1.5 metres long.

Maybe Map This! has more strict data transmission standards than GPS viewer?

Hey,
In one of the threads in my dev forum I gave out a link to beta version and the instructions on how to calculate the checksumm.....
You may want to find it and test with your GPS receiver.. it has a slightly different Nmea read logic... it worked fine for all my testers...

mr-flibble
August 20th, 2006, 09:21
Finally got it working, turns out you need to have something inserted into the adjacent headphone socket.
Of course, anyone using a normal combo connector wouldn't have had this problem but my ghetto connector is just a bit of PCB jammed in to the serial port.
Thanks to Fairlady for pointing out that cable length wasn't an issue and putting me on the right path.
/Can't wait to run around town tomorrow without getting lost. ALL HAIL DENISKA!!!

seesoe
August 20th, 2006, 22:05
o i c your problem, yes the serial port is not activated if the headphone jack side has something plugged in

vibez
August 21st, 2006, 11:34
Just ordered all the gear to make my cable. I have a question about identifying pins with a multimeter.

How will I know which pin is which by resistance?

Could you maybe add a simple guide on identifying pins please.

seesoe
August 21st, 2006, 13:17
no just put the multi meter on one end of the wire and the other on a pin if u see any change on the multimeter you will know if its the right pin or no also for the stalk head sets that come http://mc.pp.se/psp/phones.xhtml

vibez
August 21st, 2006, 14:03
I'm still not sure how a change in resitance would make a difference?

Do I need to apply power to the cable? If the resistance changes, how does that tell me which pin is which?

Sorry i'm a mechanical engineer not an electrical one ;)

EDIT:

I understand it now. Use the pinout to identify the correct pin and put the multimeter on the end of the wires to find out which wire belongs to which pin. Thanks :)

fokia
August 21st, 2006, 15:12
I'm still not sure how a change in resitance would make a difference?

Do I need to apply power to the cable? If the resistance changes, how does that tell me which pin is which?

Sorry i'm a mechanical engineer not an electrical one ;)

EDIT:

I understand it now. Use the pinout to identify the correct pin and put the multimeter on the end of the wires to find out which wire belongs to which pin. Thanks :)

Anyone, and I mean, anyone can build a conductivity meter from 2 stripes of wire 1 battery and 1 LED...

just simply connect 1 stripe to the negative pole of the battery, connect the positive pole (longer lead) of the LED to the positive pole of the battery and finally connect the other stripe to the negative pole of the LED - that’s it!

Now whenever you connect both ends to a conducting peace (close the circuitry) the LED must light up and you know which is connected were...

fokia
August 22nd, 2006, 11:41
My GPS works like a charm, with my DIY cable...

I made it form a piece of doublesided PCB and a stereo jack from old headphones...

I started cutting the PCB's with a Dremel but that didn't work out well, so I switch to a blade cutter to make thinner cuts...

here are the results:

dblock110
August 22nd, 2006, 15:28
i will pay someone 10 dollars for a cord already made in this tutorial for the same GPS deniska is using.

kochiro
August 22nd, 2006, 16:33
i will pay someone 10 dollars for a cord already made in this tutorial for the same GPS deniska is using.

I don't think you'll get many takers on that offer.

The materials alone cost more than $10. So you're basically asking someone to buy you a remote cord, a mini-usb cord, do all the work and shell about $15 out of their own pocket for you, not including shipping.

Here's a list of what's needed for materials as a reminder:
- Intec G6704 PSP Remote Control (~$11).
- USB (Mini B) cable ($5-10)
- 1K 1/4watt resistor (>$1)
- Electric tape ($2 roll)

However, if you're going to supply all the materials and pay for shipping both ways you might get someone to do it.

By the way, you double posted this over here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32582&page=10).

Jay

fokia
August 22nd, 2006, 19:15

Well I would like to help you but it's dificult to do that for such amout (I live in Europe, Portugal), so at the actual conversion rates that give around 8€, sending to US at least 5€ (optimistic...) so I have 3€ to buy a miniB usb cable... If I add the amout of time to buy a cable, go to postal offices, and make the build (not counting weld, electricity, PCB,...)... And I'm talking about a DIY cable not the one DENISKA made with a refurbished PSP remote connector (just that costs $11)... get Real!

Why don't we make this way: YOU try to build one your own that we're here to help!!! It isn't that hard, I can tell...

Blac OrKhiD
August 23rd, 2006, 01:32
just finished my cable. i made mine using the psp oem remote. for some reason i couldnt get it to work w/ the resistor. i tried my luck and hooked it up w/o it. it seems to be working perfect but im not sure if i should leave it like that.

deniska
August 23rd, 2006, 03:49
just finished my cable. i made mine using the psp oem remote. for some reason i couldnt get it to work w/ the resistor. i tried my luck and hooked it up w/o it. it seems to be working perfect but im not sure if i should leave it like that.

GPSlim 236 has a pretty wide TX voltage range (3-5) range. yours is probably close to 3 V..
To be on a safe side, you may want to try putting 500 Om resistor just to me on a safe side...

mahoney
August 23rd, 2006, 06:56
This is very cool Deniska. I am looking for a psp app I can use on the golf course. Is there anything I can use to plot out points on a golf course and give me distances to those points?

deniska
August 23rd, 2006, 07:03
This is very cool Deniska. I am looking for a psp app I can use on the golf course. Is there anything I can use to plot out points on a golf course and give me distances to those points?
Not currently, but I may include these features in future releases...

Russoxley187
August 23rd, 2006, 17:19
The POI editior is great.
poieditor dot com
can you just make one massive poi list or does it have to be specific for that map.
Like Have one list for all three different towns.
Maybe you can just copy that list in all three directories..
any clue?

kamatschka
August 24th, 2006, 00:49
Hi!

I have a

Cable GPS Receiver: SC-GPS-1 JENTRO

which was in a package with my Siemens CX65 Mobile Phone!

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GPS RECEIVER! :

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4150/sv101479res6cv.jpg

and here is a link to the datasheets!!

http://www.jentro.com/index.php?id=98

So.... i searched all over the internet to find out witch wire of the 4 which are soldered to the GPS Device is the TXD one and witch wire is for the Power Supply because my GPS device is getting the power over the 12V Plug in the Car!! But I didn' find any Infos!
Or is the Power on the PSP Connector enough to get the GPS device working!!

Sorry for my bad english !
But im german!!!
Thak you for this Great Tool for the PSP....

And thanks already for help to get it work on my PSP!!!

Blac OrKhiD
August 24th, 2006, 03:37
Hi!

I have a

So.... i searched all over the internet to find out witch wire of the 4 which are soldered to the GPS Device is the TXD one and witch wire is for the Power Supply because my GPS device is getting the power over the 12V Plug in the Car!! But I didn' find any Infos!

But im german!!!

if i were you, i'd invest i a better gps

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 10:22
Hi!

I have a

But im german!!!

well, first your doubling your post's: that won't bring more help... then, if you find which are the RxD (receiver) on the phone pinout, like I told you before, you'll know were is the TxD on the GPS... that's the only thing you'll need besides GND (ground).

And no,I dont think that you can power the GPS from the PSP, you can try though, but even if you can it'll drawn all power from PSP's battery in no time!

If you need mobility apart from your car I would advise you to manage how to find the output voltage from that adaptor and try to adapt it to work with batteries... it's a lot of work but for ppl into DIY thst's nothing ;-)

here you should find the pinout:
http://www.gsmserver.com/pinout/siemens/siemens_c25_s25.php

Or here:
http://www.dreambox.hk/cellphones/Siemens_CX65.html

kamatschka
August 24th, 2006, 12:25
I wrote in the other Thread that I will post here to keep the other Thread clean!!!

So.. Thank you for your Help....

I looked on the pinout on the Connector which I plug in into the Mobile Phone..

I pursed the solderpoints on the connector to the Pins and now I know what Wires are for what....

I found the TxD wire and the GND ....
And I know which wire is for the PowerSupply...

But as I wrote the GPS device is getting his Power over the 12V Connector in the CAR!!

Now I need to know if I need a Restistor between the Powerwire of the 12V Plug and the Powerwire of the GPS Module!?

On the PowerConnector is written :

Input: 12/24V
Output: 500mA +- 50mA

I hope this info helps!!

I will make Pictures of the connector an the GPS inside

Thank you for your Help!

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 12:41
I wrote in the other Thread that I will post here to keep the other Thread clean!!!

So.. Thank you for your Help....

I looked on the pinout on the Connector which I plug in into the Mobile Phone..

I pursed the solderpoints on the connector to the Pins and now I know what Wires are for what....

I found the TxD wire and the GND ....
And I know which wire is for the PowerSupply...

But as I wrote the GPS device is getting his Power over the 12V Connector in the CAR!!

Now I need to know if I need a Restistor between the Powerwire of the 12V Plug and the Powerwire of the GPS Module!?

On the PowerConnector is written :

Input: 12/24V
Output: 500mA +- 50mA

I hope this info helps!!

I will make Pictures of the connector an the GPS inside

Thank you for your Help!

My guess is that your PowerConnector is a transformer that converts 12/24V to lower voltage rating to your cell phone or GPS...

Let me ask you this: you can use your gps only with the cell phone (without adaptor)?

- if so, you must know the voltage ratings from the phone to GPS and, this way, probably you can use a siemens cx65 battery to power up the gps without the phone

- if not, you're geting power from the adaptor: use a multimeter to find the voltage rating from the adaptor to see if it can be repaced with a battery.

kamatschka
August 24th, 2006, 13:04
I found something
on the Connector which I plug in to my mobile Phone is between the Powwer-Wire of the 12V Connector for the CAr and the PowerWire of the GPSDevice a small-black thingy... an on this is written .. : SS14

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 13:08
I found something
on the Connector which I plug in to my mobile Phone is between the Powwer-Wire of the 12V Connector for the CAr and the PowerWire of the GPSDevice a small-black thingy... an on this is written .. : SS14

It doesn't mean anything at least for me...

kamatschka
August 24th, 2006, 13:23
here is something about it!

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:JTOlbd3u_oEJ:www.mercateo.com/p/139-4213026/Leistungs_Dioden_Schottky_DIODE_SCHOTTKY_SMA_1A_40 V_Typ_SS14_11T.html+ss14&hl=de&gl=de&ct=clnk&cd=3

or

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:M8lhC06M1ZsJ:www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/SS/SS14.html+ss14&hl=de&gl=de&ct=clnk&cd=1

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 14:45
here is something about it!

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:JTOlbd3u_oEJ:www.mercateo.com/p/139-4213026/Leistungs_Dioden_Schottky_DIODE_SCHOTTKY_SMA_1A_40 V_Typ_SS14_11T.html+ss14&hl=de&gl=de&ct=clnk&cd=3

or

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:M8lhC06M1ZsJ:www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/SS/SS14.html+ss14&hl=de&gl=de&ct=clnk&cd=1

From my point of view is only for reverse polarity protection...

You haven't answer to my question: does it work without the adaptor or not?

kamatschka
August 24th, 2006, 14:52
I'm not shure if it does work without... i didn't used it on my mobile Phone...

I'm going to buy some resistors and then I will go solder it and post if its working without the Powersupply from the 12V connector!!

Thank you for your help!

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 14:59
I'm not shure if it does work without... i didn't used it on my mobile Phone...

I'm going to buy some resistors and then I will go solder it and post if its working without the Powersupply from the 12V connector!!

Thank you for your help!

You know that the schematic with the resistor is only to normalize voltages to data communicationn... if you want to power the GPS I'd advise you to use the adaptor until you find a way to attach a battery to it

You're on your own, now...
Good luck, still...

steve_bk
August 24th, 2006, 15:51
This is so cool by far the best homebrew I have seen I voted.

Also I ordered a Holux GPS 236, I bet you made the MFG happy with all the people with PsP's ordering one.

I have a quick question about the cable and the resistor. I want to make the cable before my GPS unit arrives. Just so I make sure when I create the cable i understand the multimeter part to figure which cable go to which pins. What I don't understand is the voltage part.

Do I measure the voltage when i hook the cable up to the Holux unit ? So I wooul touch the pin on the mulitmeter on one end with teh Hloux hooked up on the other ? And this voltage should read ~2.5v ? Not over or under correct ?

Also I am just connecting 2 wires total ?

Thanks for any help guys keep it up.

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 16:03
This is so cool by far the best homebrew I have seen I voted.

Also I ordered a Holux GPS 236, I bet you made the MFG happy with all the people with PsP's ordering one.

I have a quick question about the cable and the resistor. I want to make the cable before my GPS unit arrives. Just so I make sure when I create the cable i understand the multimeter part to figure which cable go to which pins. What I don't understand is the voltage part.

Do I measure the voltage when i hook the cable up to the Holux unit ? So I wooul touch the pin on the mulitmeter on one end with teh Hloux hooked up on the other ? And this voltage should read ~2.5v ? Not over or under correct ?

Also I am just connecting 2 wires total ?

Thanks for any help guys keep it up.

The voltage (if you want/need to check) could be read between GND and TxD with the GPS on... Usually, you only need this for troubleshooting or when using a different setup/device

the resistor is only used to lower the voltage from the GPS unit to PSP RxD rating - I think it's about 2.5v.

Yes, you only need 2 wires (unilateral communication: GPS -> PSP).

kamatschka
August 25th, 2006, 03:24
so.. i'm going to solder it tomorrow, or better said later today!!

so.. you meen I don't need the resistors on the TxD wire between the GPS device and the PSP COnnector???

Or do I still need....

And can someone Recompile MapView with the baudrate which I need?
It's 115200 Bit/s

I don't know how to do that... So.. thank for help!!

I'm getting closer to get this working... So.. I am really thankfull for your Help!!!

greets kamatschka

fokia
August 25th, 2006, 10:19
so.. i'm going to solder it tomorrow, or better said later today!!

so.. you meen I don't need the resistors on the TxD wire between the GPS device and the PSP COnnector???

Or do I still need....

And can someone Recompile MapView with the baudrate which I need?
It's 115200 Bit/s

I don't know how to do that... So.. thank for help!!

I'm getting closer to get this working... So.. I am really thankfull for your Help!!!

greets kamatschka

Hello, between the TxD you probably will - that depends on the output voltage from the GPS trough the transmiter (TxD) line - It's better to check it with a multimeter before troubles happen.

I must have missunderstood you: I thought you where talking about resistors to adjust voltage to power the GPS...

You dont need to recompile the program there's a config file were you can set that (and other stuff needed)

kamatschka
August 25th, 2006, 13:36
so.. i soldered all together but it's not really working....

I've used the 1kOhm resistor... but the MapView don't get any Data from the GPS... now I am looking for someone who can compile the GPS App with the green color which shows all the infos of the GPSdevice whith my Baud for testing!!

The GPS Device gets Power from the 12 V Connector in the Car... the GPS Device is after a couple of minutes warm.... because of that i'm sure that the GPS device gets his Power!

so... now I will solder the TxD directly without any Resistor... maybe thats the problem!!!

fokia
August 25th, 2006, 14:59
so.. i soldered all together but it's not really working....

I've used the 1kOhm resistor... but the MapView don't get any Data from the GPS... now I am looking for someone who can compile the GPS App with the green color which shows all the infos of the GPSdevice whith my Baud for testing!!

The GPS Device gets Power from the 12 V Connector in the Car... the GPS Device is after a couple of minutes warm.... because of that i'm sure that the GPS device gets his Power!

so... now I will solder the TxD directly without any Resistor... maybe thats the problem!!!

I leave a compile version for 115200 I get a lot of warnings but I think it's OK (as allways, use at your own risk!), check compile log.txt...

you would be safer if check the voltages with a multimeter...

kamatschka
August 25th, 2006, 16:21
thank you for compiling it.....

But when I plug the connector to the PSP the Programm says that I need to connect and switch the GPS on....

could it be that the App is waiting for Datareceive on throug the PSP connector and then it knows that the connector is connected with the PSP!

So.. it could be that the sending of the data is prevented by the resistor...

I'm looking to get a Multimeter somewhere...!!

So.. already thanks for your Help!!!

fokia
August 25th, 2006, 16:32
thank you for compiling it.....

could it be that the App is waiting for Datareceive on throug the PSP connector and then it knows that the connector is connected with the PSP!

Yes, since communication is unidirectional it is waiting for some signal on PSP serial port.

You need to disconnect WIFI switch, and leave UMD off the tray (at least the other version don't work with)

You may need to wait for proper data

kamatschka
August 26th, 2006, 12:19
so.. now I removed the 1KOhm Resistor and it's something different now when I am going to start the GPS mode in MapView....
Before I removed the Resistor MapThis was showing "OUT of Range" and Speed (but I wasn't driving) and 8 Satellites when I enabled the GPS mode.....
But the MapView App showed a Arrow somewhere near NewYOrk... but I'm from Germany!!!

Now... after I removed the Resistor MapVIew dosen't show the " OUT of Range message" and the Speed and number of satellites....

DATA: BAD
Satellites:0
SPeed: --
and so on....

No data.......

but something changed!!!

And the App with the Green Background anly shows that I must plugin the GPS and switch it on... but it is on and plugged in!!!

Now I will solder something different and I will post my Progression here!!

Eonstar
August 26th, 2006, 13:09
Nice stuff only if you could do it without all the cutting and stuff ;-)

Blac OrKhiD
August 26th, 2006, 18:59
so.. now I removed the 1KOhm Resistor and it's something different now when I am going to start the GPS mode in MapView....
Before I removed the Resistor MapThis was showing "OUT of Range" and Speed (but I wasn't driving) and 8 Satellites when I enabled the GPS mode.....
But the MapView App showed a Arrow somewhere near NewYOrk... but I'm from Germany!!!

Now... after I removed the Resistor MapVIew dosen't show the " OUT of Range message" and the Speed and number of satellites....

and so on....

No data.......

but something changed!!!

And the App with the Green Background anly shows that I must plugin the GPS and switch it on... but it is on and plugged in!!!

that gps set up seems to be way over your head.
using the gpslim 236 set up is so easy.
maybe you should consider investing in a gps
that mapthis! was intended to be used with.

kamatschka
August 27th, 2006, 13:36
on my GPS device is a kind of electric mechanism which turns the GPS on when It's plugged in in th Mobile Phone.... thats the reason why the PSP couldn't receive any Data from the GPS.....

now I actually purchased the holux !!!

:) :) :) :D :D :D

eothraim
August 27th, 2006, 17:24
Hi!:confused:

I'm Spannish and I don't understand quite well what you've said. I explain:

1) I would to know what the different compiles are ( ex 4.800 bauds, 11.250...). What function do they have??? I've seen the same programs ( EBOOT) but with different bauds.

2) I've read something about log.txt . I think it was about the program and I don't know what it is.

3) Another thing, I want to know why the map is something in the incorrect position (beating) , I've read something in the forum but I don't know why it happens.

I've HOLUX 236 SLIM

Thanks!:)

WTY_4KA
August 28th, 2006, 02:53
which device should i buy??

anybody know if these work / how to wire them

TOMTOM bt77
TOMTOM BT74R

or the Holux GR213 (U)

all listed on "e**y"

thanks in advance

fokia
August 28th, 2006, 10:32

and so on....

No data.......

but something changed!!!

I have some questions about your testings:

Did you put and select the map for your exat location in germany - I dont think so! and if it's says OUT OF RANGE its because it CAN get a LAT/LONG!!!!!!!! so your first setup must have worked...

Rewire all together and get a map of your location!!!

fokia
August 28th, 2006, 10:43
Hi!:confused:

I'm Spannish and I don't understand quite well what you've said. I explain:

1) I would to know what the different compiles are ( ex 4.800 bauds, 11.250...). What function do they have??? I've seen the same programs ( EBOOT) but with different bauds.

2) I've read something about log.txt . I think it was about the program and I don't know what it is.

3) Another thing, I want to know why the map is something in the incorrect position (beating) , I've read something in the forum but I don't know why it happens.

I've HOLUX 236 SLIM

Thanks!:)

1) Diff bauds for diff equip. it's the speed for data comm. through the serial between that device and MapThis! that is customisable via "config.txt" - don't have to recompile the source

2) log.txt? don't know if it's the log I've put to show some warnings during complile...

3) Don't know why... I gues it got something to do with google's...

vibez
August 29th, 2006, 11:15
Quick question, my TXD voltage measured 3v. what size resistor do I need?

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 12:20
Quick question, my TXD voltage measured 3v. what size resistor do I need?

Well, lets say you want 2.5v@500mA:
by Ohm's Law,

2.5 V
---------- = 500 Ohm
0.005 A

vibez
August 29th, 2006, 12:29
The fromula I was using is

R=V/I

Resistance(R)= Voltage (V) / Current (I)

I thought (R) was the voltage drop. 3 volts down to 2.5v = 0.5voltage drop.

Where did you get the 500mA value from?

vibez
August 29th, 2006, 12:44
Here is the formula I used

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz?VS=3;VF=2.5;ID=500

It shows I need a 1/2W or greater 1 ohm resistor

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 12:53
The fromula I was using is

R=V/I

Resistance(R)= Voltage (V) / Current (I)

I thought (R) was the voltage drop. 3 volts down to 2.5v = 0.5voltage drop.

Where did you get the 500mA value from?

No, R is the resistor value in Ohm...

500mA was a guess, for demo pourpose only... don't know that for sure... probably is a bit high and thus less conservative. I may have to advise you to go for a lower one: 200 or 250mA giving a resitor of ~1KOhm

Tried to check that in ps2dev but the site is down...

P.S.: That formula is known as Ohm's Law ;)

Rengoku
August 30th, 2006, 17:37
Hi guys, I got my gpslim236 receiver today, and I've had trouble getting it to work. I made the cable as directed and have tested it with a multimeter. When I use the green screen app, I can see NMEA sentences popping up every second or so, but the Longitude and Latitude values (among others) aren't showing up.

I tried measuring the voltage between pin1 and pin3 on the gps device, and it says its 3V. But when I hook up the cable (with the 1k resistor) and measure it, the voltage stays the same. Could that be the problem? Isn't the voltage supposed to drop because of the resistor?

Thanks
Sorry, newbie here :P

fokia
August 30th, 2006, 18:23
Hi guys, I got my gpslim236 receiver today, and I've had trouble getting it to work. I made the cable as directed and have tested it with a multimeter. When I use the green screen app, I can see NMEA sentences popping up every second or so, but the Longitude and Latitude values (among others) aren't showing up.

I tried measuring the voltage between pin1 and pin3 on the gps device, and it says its 3V. But when I hook up the cable (with the 1k resistor) and measure it, the voltage stays the same. Could that be the problem? Isn't the voltage supposed to drop because of the resistor?

Thanks

Don't seem to have a problem... use the latest MapThis and test you new cable with it. It shouldn't be a major problem deal with 3v for the PSP...

fokia
August 30th, 2006, 19:02
Here is the formula I used

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz?VS=3;VF=2.5;ID=500

It shows I need a 1/2W or greater 1 ohm resistor

You can use that... keep in mind that power dissipation only depends on input voltage.

If it doesn't work try 500Ohm.

Rengoku
August 30th, 2006, 19:08
Don't seem to have a problem... use the latest MapThis and test you new cable with it. It shouldn't be a major problem deal with 3v for the PSP...

Still no luck :( I tried it with the latest MapThis, and it says it's out of range and Data:Bad.

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 19:12

Thanks

Keep in mind that your multimeter would probably display just an average voltage for that AC current...
The danger comes from peaks that could be higher than 3V...
The multimeter would not show the peak voltage, because it's not just fast enough for the transmission frequency... for that reason you probably wont see the drop on your resistor, but your PSP just might feel it...

Rengoku
August 30th, 2006, 21:28
Heres a screenshot of what I'm getting with the gpslim236. I noticed the date is wrong, but I checked the psp date settings and it was fine.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5208/gpslim236ki3.jpg

A Fn NOOB
August 30th, 2006, 21:37
You dont have a clear view of sky.

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 21:46
yep, your gps did not lock on any satelites yet..
it takes ~40sec for GPSlim to get the lock in clear skies, assuming your dont move the unit during the acquisition period.
The time is GMT (assuming it had a lock, overwise it's some garbage)

If you continue having difficulties locking on satelites, consider changing the unit. Unfortunately, there are reports of many defective gpslim236 units outthere...
The good thing - your communication part & cable work ok ;-)

Rengoku
August 30th, 2006, 23:18
Yay, its working finally. Turns out I simply didn't give the GPSlim enough time to lock onto to the satellites. Thanks guys for the help :)

Deniska, you did an awesome job on this, you got my vote for the competition ^^

steve_bk
August 31st, 2006, 21:30
I got my GPSlim unit made my cable and the GPS screen works like a chamr I haven't loaded up Map This ! but will be trying that tongiht. Thanks for the info and help this thing rocks.

I have a noob question about testing the voltage from the GPS Unit. How do I test this with my mulitimeter ? Like where does the Red pin go and where does the black pin go to test the output voltage to make sure everything is good. Like I said all works I just want to make sure on the voltage, I am far from an electircal engineer, thanks guys.

deniska
August 31st, 2006, 22:20
I got my GPSlim unit made my cable and the GPS screen works like a chamr I haven't loaded up Map This ! but will be trying that tongiht. Thanks for the info and help this thing rocks.

I have a noob question about testing the voltage from the GPS Unit. How do I test this with my mulitimeter ? Like where does the Red pin go and where does the black pin go to test the output voltage to make sure everything is good. Like I said all works I just want to make sure on the voltage, I am far from an electircal engineer, thanks guys.
I don't think you can get an accurate voltage reading with a multimeter in this case... the idea is to start with high resistor values (say, 5K) and keep lowering the resistence until you get a stable reading...

steve_bk
August 31st, 2006, 22:56
I think I have a stable reading on your green screen if that is what you mean. Work fine no problems. I just wanted to make sure the volatge comign from the GPSlim through my cable with the 1k resitor was doing ok, from what you replied I gather I can't get this reading from a multimeter.

kamatschka
September 1st, 2006, 17:30
so.. I have actually received my Holux gpSlim 236 and neither the Greenscreen Programm nor the MapView is working with it...

I made the data Cable with an 2 KOhm resistor... but there is no reaction in the Greenscreen Programm or in MapView itself!!

so.. I tested the Cable with an Multimeter and its just fine wired and soldered....

And the GpSlim locked on satellites....

so.. is it because i used a 2KOhm resistor??
Or did it work for someone with a higher valued resistor than 1KOhm?

fokia
September 1st, 2006, 17:45
so.. I have actually received my Holux gpSlim 236 and neither the Greenscreen Programm nor the MapView is working with it...

I made the data Cable with an 2 KOhm resistor... but there is no reaction in the Greenscreen Programm or in MapView itself!!

so.. I tested the Cable with an Multimeter and its just fine wired and soldered....

And the GpSlim locked on satellites....

so.. is it because i used a 2KOhm resistor??
Or did it work for someone with a higher valued resistor than 1KOhm?

There are reports from someone that even using GPSlim236 the only way to make it work was WITHOUT any resistor (while using stripped sony's remote)

kamatschka
September 1st, 2006, 18:30
so.. i found now my 1KOkm resistor and soldered it and now it's working.....

So.. I think... with resistors above 1Kohm it does not work!!!!!

Yeehaaa...
I get it finally working!!! :D :cool:
Thanks to all who helped me!!!
especially fokia !!!

greets kamatschka

fokia
September 1st, 2006, 18:47
so.. i found now my 1KOkm resistor and soldered it and now it's working.....

So.. I think... with resistors above 1Kohm it does not work!!!!!

Yeehaaa...
I get it finally working!!! :D :cool:
Thanks to all who helped me!!!
especially fokia !!!

greets kamatschka

I'm gad you made it!!!!:) :D :) :D :) :D

steve_bk
September 1st, 2006, 22:36
FYI

I used an official Sony Remote + a Pelican USB cable ($4.99 from walmart) and a 1k ohm 1/4 resistor with the GPSLim 236, everything is working fine.

Blac OrKhiD
September 3rd, 2006, 22:10
I used the sony remote w/o resistor. I been using about 2 weeks, no prob

deniska
September 4th, 2006, 07:22
I used the sony remote w/o resistor. I been using about 2 weeks, no prob
Yeah, psp could probably tolerate the GPSlim236 output level in most (if not all cases), but I placed the resistor in in the public drawing just to make sure it is safe, and noone bricks the PSP because of this...

A Fn NOOB
September 4th, 2006, 18:36
I read recently that the some of the components on TA-082 motherboards operate on 1.8VDC vs 3.3VDC for TA-079, 80, 81 mobo's.

It may not be applicable for the serial port though, but you may want to make a cautionary note to TA-082 people to use caution, as I think there is a downgrader coming for those motherboards.

I imagine it will be possible to get data from USB for the Sony GPS unit. I wonder how they could prevent homebrew from accessing the USB?

The benefit to our setup is that we can use the Camera AND the gps at the same time!

I think the next version of MapThis should have a "show tracks", "save tracks", "erase tracks" feature.

Also, I mentioned a while back about an "Open" mapping project at Sourceforge. It's www.OpenStreetMaps.org (http://www.OpenStreetMaps.org) It appears to be in the early stages.

Also TigerMaps is (US) a server that has free (but dated 1998) maps.

Ive got MS Streets and Trips on my laptop, that has the entire US streetmaps + poi's etc and it takes up 936mb of space. The map "data" folder is ~900mb.

What are the legalities of making a program that uses the map data of software that you legally own on a platform that it was not written for?
(Ive also got Garmin Mapsource too)

Which leads me to one more question:
There are tons of emulators of other gaming consoles for the PSP. Legalities aside, would it be theoretically possible to emulate some of the commercial GPS-Navigation units on the PSP?
I think the PSP has all the processing and graphics abilities, including voice prompting (And theoretically voice commands (Look at Talkman)). The only thing not available is touch screen. (Unless an external overlay were developed).

Densika, Thank You for making MapThis!

Blac OrKhiD
September 5th, 2006, 05:13
Yeah, psp could probably tolerate the GPSlim236 output level in most (if not all cases), but I placed the resistor in in the public drawing just to make sure it is safe, and noone bricks the PSP because of this...

I wouldn't encourage anyone not to use the resistor
I still plan on installing a resistor when i rebuilt my cable. it's better to be on the safe side.

seesoe
September 5th, 2006, 05:25
Which leads me to one more question:
There are tons of emulators of other gaming consoles for the PSP. Legalities aside, would it be theoretically possible to emulate some of the commercial GPS-Navigation units on the PSP?
I think the PSP has all the processing and graphics abilities, including voice prompting (And theoretically voice commands (Look at Talkman)). The only thing not available is touch screen. (Unless an external overlay were developed). i have always had that idea in my head since a few days after i found mapthis news,
i agree i think with enough hardware and programing work, the psp can emulate. the mic part would not be that hard, but maybe the part of haveing the headphone jack plugged in and not get sound out of speakers *if im niot mistaken someone from this forum is testing out how to get the sound from usb? with those docking stations, i forget exactly what it was he gonna try* touchscreen overlay is not needed just a waste of codeing and money for the overlay and hardware hack

jyhuh
September 6th, 2006, 16:15
Yea, so I was very excited that my gps came yesterday. I got the 236. Anyway, I never soldered a thing in my life. So I cut the usb and stripped it. I found the ground and the TDX wire, except it was green. Then I got the plug from the orignal psp remote. But I pulled out all the wires bc from the pic, it looked like the usb wire was soldered directly onto the plug. well, now I know thats not it and i gotta now spend anoter $10 for a remote. Anyway, what color is the wire on the remote for tdx wire? i know ground is black. Id appreciate any help

vibez
September 6th, 2006, 16:40
Finally got round to building my cable. My TXD wire was indeed green and I soldered everything straight to the headphone plug. Everything works fine :) Thanks to fokia who helped me with my question about working out what size resistor to use (1Kohm worked btw) and thanks to densika and in7ane

kamatschka
September 6th, 2006, 16:53
Yea, so I was very excited that my gps came yesterday. I got the 236. Anyway, I never soldered a thing in my life. So I cut the usb and stripped it. I found the ground and the TDX wire, except it was green. Then I got the plug from the orignal psp remote. But I pulled out all the wires bc from the pic, it looked like the usb wire was soldered directly onto the plug. well, now I know thats not it and i gotta now spend anoter $10 for a remote. Anyway, what color is the wire on the remote for tdx wire? i know ground is black. Id appreciate any help

On my Original Sony Remote the GROUND was the BLUE wire and the TxD was the GREY Wire ......

but it could be that it's different on your Remote.....

Anyway Try to find out which wire belongs to GROUND and wich WIRE to TxD.....
Use a Multimeter......

Greets kamatschka

vibez
September 6th, 2006, 16:58
jhuh I dont think you have done anything wrong as far as I can tell. You are soldering to the headphone plug.

The easiest way I found to make sure you have the right wires on the usb side is just to rip the covering off the large usb plug you removed and use a pinout diagram to see which color wire is conected to which pin

jyhuh
September 6th, 2006, 17:20
well, i did solder the wires on directly onto the plug, but its so damn small, i was afraid that the solder was touching more than one pin. I didnt want to take any chances in bricking my psp so I just thought itd be easier soldering wires together. anyway, is there a place that sells psp remote for less than $15? I looked at wal-mart... they didnt have any

vibez
September 6th, 2006, 17:23
You can actually slide the copper pins out quite easy. That is the way I did it. Slide the pins out and you have more room to play with. then just slide the pins back in when you are done

jyhuh
September 6th, 2006, 17:26
dude, i wish i'd known that yesterday. gotta go dig through the trash now... o yea, thing that goes into the head phone jack came off. does that matter?

vibez
September 6th, 2006, 17:31
I think it does matter yes :( But as far as i'm aware, no one has tried this mod without the headphone jack? Correct me if i'm wrong....

A Fn NOOB
September 7th, 2006, 05:45
I think it does matter yes :( But as far as i'm aware, no one has tried this mod without the headphone jack? Correct me if i'm wrong....

Probably not, because most probably hacked their remote cable to connect. The sound 'hole' is what makes that thing stay put, otherwise I dont think it would stay in place otherwise. There is no reason why you cant get sound (out) though. The wires going to 7,8,9 are audio. When a headphone is inserted into the round hole, it enables 2.5V DC on pin x (I forget which pin without referring to diagram)
So that it can power an external device.

All the info on serial port can be found at

http://www.luaplayer.org/sio/readme.html

and at
http://www.hitmen-console.org/ under PSP documentation

I think Deniska should have an MP3 player built into MapThis so you could listen to music as you navigate :)

jyhuh
September 7th, 2006, 15:29
I screwed up again. I messed up another headphone plug. So I gotta go get a third one.... its too damn small and my soldering iron is so damn big. I got this big glob of solder on my plug. so I tried to melt it off but I melted the plastic to. anyway, we can just solder the wires together right? the remote plug wires to the usb wires? bc i dont think i have the patience to do this again. i think I worked on the cable for like 4hrs, took my forever to get the transparent plastic off the plug

kamatschka
September 7th, 2006, 15:44
yes... Why are you making it so difficult!!!???

Cut the USB Kable and the PSP Remote Cable and solder the GROUND and the TxD wires from the Remote-Cable and the Mini-USB Cable together.....

that's really easy!!!

So... good luck!!!

greets kamatschka

steve_bk
September 7th, 2006, 16:22
I soldered mine right in the middle of the 2 cables.

jyhuh
September 7th, 2006, 16:32
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! IM SO STUPID!!!!!!!!! Now I have to go and find another remote. I went to 2 walmarts, target, eb games, babbages, and finally found a used remote at another ebgames. Man, this sucks assets.

A Fn NOOB
September 8th, 2006, 01:52
Someone else asked me a while back about some crimp connectors and I initially didnt know what he was talking about. (I used DB9 male, female connectors so I could plug my GPS into the original USB cable to use with my laptop if needed)

Anyway.... recently I was reading something (At Make-magazine I think) and they showed some handy connectors that you can strip the wires, feed them in a slot, and snap the lid down to secure the wires. You can get male, female connectors. Ill try and find where it was I saw those.

jyhuh
September 8th, 2006, 01:53
ok, can someone tell me what i did wrong? I connected the black wire from the usb to the blue wire of the remote, green wire from the usb to the grey wire of the remote. I turned on my gps and ran map this!.02 and pressed square to activate gps mode. but its the same as if i had nothing hooked up, just a cursor up in brooklin driving around. did i do something wrong?

jyhuh
September 8th, 2006, 03:58
NVM IT WORKS!!!! I never expected it to work. I just had to put the replay equal to 0. yea, anyway, thanks for all the help

vibez
September 8th, 2006, 09:11
welcome to the party :)

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 02:58
Hello,

I feel like I'm 90% there with this hookup on a Garmin eMap (circa 1998). That GPS supports (allegedly) NMEA @ 4800 baud. It's a 3V device. The pinouts are very easy.

I've hooked one up following roughly the outlines Deniska and others have posted. Apparently no resistor is required, and the PSP *does* get data on the serial port (I used gpsviewer, recompiled with 4800 baud setting).

My problem is that the data is just a bunch of deterministic, repeating high-bit ascii characters which are obviously not NMEA sentences.

I noticed that others have had this same problem -- any help or advice you could offer me? I'm wondering if I've recompiled the proggie wrong @4800 -- you just change the pspDebugSioSetBaud() statement right? Do you also have to modify the sceKernelDelayThread(20) in the loop to get accurate timing?

Again, thank you for listening -- hopefully someone has the silver bullet -- til then, I'll keep hacking away til it works :)

ZeroAltitude

A Fn NOOB
September 12th, 2006, 03:14
Can u post a screenshot of the output with "greenscreen"?

Do you have specs for the unit handy?

Search the site for a version of greenscreen I posted up for 4800 baud, its on here somewhere, but I think out in the News forum.

Sounds like either your unit is configured for other than 4800, or bad compile. But getting it working in "Greenscreen" first is the best thing to do, so you can rule out config problem with the reciever. (Maybe greenscreen :) could integrated into MapThis to aid in configuring one day)

Also some GPS specs make it confusing as to which pin is RX & TX...... Make sure that:

GPS TX ---> Serial RX

If the data appears to have some consistency ( Like repeating similar characters every 20 secs) look at the bitrate.
If it doesnt, maybe wires are crossed.

Edit: I didnt realize that it was a handheld (as opposed to a gps-'mouse'... I bet there is a menu in it's GUI to change from it's native Garmin protocol to NMEA sentences. Most likely the problem.

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 03:35
Hi there,

Thank you for the quick reply! It is possible the wires are crossed, but the consistent visible data seems to indicate that might not be the issue. I have made sure in the setup program to set it to NMEA (it was the default, but you're right there are other protocols, some Garmin proprietary).

If I can't get it working in a few more go-s, I'll see if I messed up the wiring (I did (try?) to do TX > RX as specified -- I'll have to look at the specs again maybe!).

Thank you again, and if you get any other thoughts, I'll be watching this thread intently!

~0

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 03:48
Re: specs:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/tech.htm

http://www.garmin.com/products/emap/spec.html
(and linked PDF)

~0

A Fn NOOB
September 12th, 2006, 04:38
Heres what Id do to rule out the wiring first

Get luaplayer, it has a serial port program included that gives raw data from serial port. It is limited to 2400 baud though. No problem, set your emap to text output and 2400 baud.

Thats just what Id do. Im assuming the emap will let you change baud in some protocols like my Garmin Etrex does, from 1200 to 9600. NMEA is locked at 4800 on the EtrexLegend. 4800 seems to be the industry standard speed for most GPS's. (4800 baud is also the default speed of the PSP serial port, I recall)

Then look for a post by my where I included the EBOOT where I changed it to 4800, it works for sure.

Good luck... you'll have this solved in no time.

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 05:09
BINGO! I *think* one of Deniska's wiring diagrams on his site might be wrong: I reversed the wires (GPS TXD > PSP pin *2* -- listed as GND, I believe maybe RX and GPS GND > PSP pin *6* -- listed as RX, I belive maybe GND?)

Either that, or the Garmin spec is wrong >< (i *was* getting - voltage when using my multi in a way i thought should give + voltage)

Either that, or I'm dyslexic :))

Now it works! Thank you so much for your patience and help NOOB and Deniska (on another thread).

~0

To sum up:

Garmin eMap
Wire pin 3 to PSP pin *2*,
Wire pin 4 to PSP pin *6*,
no resistors needed,
set Setup to NMEA 4800
and voila

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 05:55
great!!!
I am glad it worked out for you...

I think my diagram is correct though..
at least there are a few more sources (aside from obvious "it works for me") confirming the pin layout..
This is just one of them:
http://nil.rpc1.org/psp/files/PSP%20Serial%20Converter.pdf

I hope you'll be able to hook it up with MapThis! (if you have not already done so)
You may need to get the latest eboot from friday (attached to one of the threads here) to make it work - since I increased the NMEA buffer for "slow baud devices"...

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 07:19
I agree -- since you got it working on the Holux, and since others have as well with your pin diagram, something else must be wonky. It's very puzzling.

I'm setting up MapThis! right now! More soon :)

~0

A Fn NOOB
September 13th, 2006, 07:32
BINGO! I *think* one of Deniska's wiring diagrams on his site might be wrong: I reversed the wires (GPS TXD > PSP pin *2* -- listed as GND, I believe maybe RX and GPS GND > PSP pin *6* -- listed as RX, I belive maybe GND?)

Either that, or the Garmin spec is wrong >< (i *was* getting - voltage when using my multi in a way i thought should give + voltage)

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say about some mfgr's referencing the pins with regard to what they connect to, vs their actual function...

deanspeed
September 19th, 2006, 06:04
i just got done making my cable and started gps viewer. it tells me to "Connect your GPS to seral port and turn it on" so i did but i still see this screen telling me to plug it in and turn in on. what am i supposed to do next? or does this mean the cable isnt put together right? also when i run mapthis it acts like its not connected

deniska
September 19th, 2006, 07:07
there might be some problem with the cable...
scan this thread for additional clues (it has yet another, simpler viewer app attached)
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=6294&highlight=

schandir
September 21st, 2006, 06:04
Has anyone delt with and has a diagram for Delorme Earthmate GPS?

deniska
September 21st, 2006, 06:37
Someone confirmed that Holux gpslim 240 works fine (same setup as gpslim 236)

GPSlim 240 is half the size of 236 with ~ same spec.
The retail price is ~95 USD
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/gr240/gpslim240_s.png

deniska
September 21st, 2006, 06:52
Has anyone delt with and has a diagram for Delorme Earthmate GPS?

Don't think so..
which model do you have?
does it use serial port? at what baud?
NMEA support?
Delorme does not seem to list the comm specs on their site...

schandir
September 21st, 2006, 07:10
Don't think so..
which model do you have?
does it use serial port? at what baud?
NMEA support?
Delorme does not seem to list the comm specs on their site...

I have the model number 9538 V1.0
It has a USB. dont know about NMEA support.
Here is a link about the pinouts for this device but i am not too sure about it...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21581

If you scroll down a bit you can see the pinouts of the USB GPS... Hope this helps a bit.

deniska
September 21st, 2006, 16:22
I have the model number 9538 V1.0
It has a USB. dont know about NMEA support.
Here is a link about the pinouts for this device but i am not too sure about it...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21581

If you scroll down a bit you can see the pinouts of the USB GPS... Hope this helps a bit.

USB is no good ...
You need a serial cable option...
If you have one, use GND & TXD for PSP connection.
You'll also need to wire it to external power source if your unit does not have built in battery...

schandir
September 21st, 2006, 17:42
USB is no good ...
You need a serial cable option...
If you have one, use GND & TXD for PSP connection.
You'll also need to wire it to external power source if your unit does not have built in battery...

This is what the pinout looks like from the GPS:
1 - GND
2 - USB Data+
3 - USB Data-
4 - +5V
5 - RS232 RXD
6 - RS232 TXD
7 - RS232 DTR
8 - +5v
9 - GND
10 -
11 -
12 - SHIELD
The ones in BOLD are the ones that are going to the USB. So to sum it up, you are trying to say to connect Pin 6 from the GPS to the PSP and Pin 1 or 9 or both? from GPS to the PSP and then hook up an external power source to pin 4 or 8 or both? The GPS gets its power normally from the laptop with pin 1 and 4 since it hooks up to the usb. So i am assuming to hook up the power to those wires and then the GND from pin 1 to the PSP also...

fubarms
September 21st, 2006, 20:35
Hi I am new at this can you tell my what gps to buy can some one be so kind to make a video and maybe uoload up to youtube on how to build the cable. Please help out A.S.A.P.

fubarms
September 21st, 2006, 22:28
I just order the Holux GPSlim236 from amazon it should be here on Monday and know I am stuck and need help with the cable part. Do I take a any USB cable that is from A to B connection? Please help! Thanks.

fubarms
September 21st, 2006, 22:39
Deniska can I ask you the step on how to take apart and build that cable please help!!! I am very lost on building the cable :confused:

deniska
September 22nd, 2006, 00:12
I just order the Holux GPSlim236 from amazon it should be here on Monday and know I am stuck and need help with the cable part. Do I take a any USB cable that is from A to B connection? Please help! Thanks.

Any usb cable with miniB conector will do..
just make sure it's for data transfer...some power cables (motorolla phones power chargers, etc) have same connector, but don't have all data wires inside the cable, to make it thinner...
The rest is pretty simple - slash usb cable and psp remote cable; figure thich wires go to the required pins and connect them thru a resistor...

deniska
September 22nd, 2006, 00:18
This is what the pinout looks like from the GPS:
1 - GND
2 - USB Data+
3 - USB Data-
4 - +5V
5 - RS232 RXD
6 - RS232 TXD
7 - RS232 DTR
8 - +5v
9 - GND
10 -
11 -
12 - SHIELD
The ones in BOLD are the ones that are going to the USB. So to sum it up, you are trying to say to connect Pin 6 from the GPS to the PSP and Pin 1 or 9 or both? from GPS to the PSP and then hook up an external power source to pin 4 or 8 or both? The GPS gets its power normally from the laptop with pin 1 and 4 since it hooks up to the usb. So i am assuming to hook up the power to those wires and then the GND from pin 1 to the PSP also...
Use pins 1&4 for power and 1&6 for psp connection
make sure you put a resistor - looks like your device may transmit 5V signal - which must be lowered...

schandir
September 22nd, 2006, 01:16
Use pins 1&4 for power and 1&6 for psp connection
make sure you put a resistor - looks like your device may transmit 5V signal - which must be lowered...

Alright, I did as you said but when I start the GPS Viewer program is get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS". I am using a 3K resistor and the GPS is getting its power from the USB. The + and - data wire has been disconnected. I also tried without the resistor and that did not work either. I tested the signal wire and i am getting from 0V-2V approx. The psp is not seeing the GPS... I also tried A Fn Noob's eboot for 4800 GPS and that did not work either...

fubarms
September 22nd, 2006, 04:28
So I get any usb cable that I have, and I have a sony USB cable and how can you tell is for data transfer and not power cable? So when you say slash the usb cable do you mean cut out the connector A part off and use the wires in the cable? Also I can use the OEM original remote control all I need is the end part yes?

deniska
September 22nd, 2006, 05:48
Alright, I did as you said but when I start the GPS Viewer program is get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS". I am using a 3K resistor and the GPS is getting its power from the USB. The + and - data wire has been disconnected. I also tried without the resistor and that did not work either. I tested the signal wire and i am getting from 0V-2V approx. The psp is not seeing the GPS... I also tried A Fn Noob's eboot for 4800 GPS and that did not work either...

Try to run it with serial port echo program distributed with lua player for PSP and see if you get any data at all...
You may also try pin5 (RXD) instead of pin 6 - recieve/transmit could be confusing since it's not clear which end-device they specify it for GPS or PC.

How did you measure the signal amplitude? - most cheap testers would not give you the correct results - since they may be too slow for the frequency of the signal... btw, psp would need 2.5V signal, but again your device probably have 3V if not higher output.. so use caution...

deniska
September 22nd, 2006, 05:55
So I get any usb cable that I have, and I have a sony USB cable and how can you tell is for data transfer and not power cable? So when you say slash the usb cable do you mean cut out the connector A part off and use the wires in the cable? Also I can use the OEM original remote control all I need is the end part yes?

Use that cable to connect psp to PC - if it works - chances are you have all required wires...

Yes cut out the connector and use the wires inside...and please don't ask which colors... - you need to buy/borrow a multitester to findout which wire connected to which pin.
Btw, if you really clueless about this stuff, you may want to find some electronics/tv repair shop in your area, pay them a few bucks - and they will do it for ya... ;-)

schandir
September 22nd, 2006, 06:28
Try to run it with serial port echo program distributed with lua player for PSP and see if you get any data at all...
You may also try pin5 (RXD) instead of pin 6 - recieve/transmit could be confusing since it's not clear which end-device they specify it for GPS or PC.

How did you measure the signal amplitude? - most cheap testers would not give you the correct results - since they may be too slow for the frequency of the signal... btw, psp would need 2.5V signal, but again your device probably have 3V if not higher output.. so use caution...

Alright I tried using the serial port echo and i get a whole bunch of gibberish so i am guessin its giving me something. This was without a resistor.

I measured it with a pretty expencive multimeter but i would only see the jump for a second or so...

fubarms
September 22nd, 2006, 07:02
Can I follow http://www.home.no/xern/gpsmap60c-psp.jpg picture and I took apart my OEM control and the usb cable know I just need to buy the 1K.

deanspeed
September 22nd, 2006, 21:44
will somone please make a video wile making there cable

fubarms
September 22nd, 2006, 22:20
Hey deniska I am going to make my cable today and I will talk a picture to show you if I did it right. Any ways did you buy the VG928 : 1” Multi-Angle Dash or Console Adhesive / Screw Mount Pedestal kit to mount your PSP on the air vent?

deniska
September 23rd, 2006, 05:41
My gps was bundled with Arkon vent mount..

fubarms
September 23rd, 2006, 06:16
I made my cable can you check if I did it right?

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4580/p1040354qa9.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6625/p1040355dl2.jpg

I have follow the diagram from this link http://www.home.no/xern/gpsmap60c-psp.jpg and my cable had white, red, black, and green. The green should be the blue cable so I add the 1K to the Green. Hope I did it right. I made sure that the cable are not touching and I check it with a DMM.

fubarms
September 23rd, 2006, 23:20
Can any one check if I did it right? Please?

crackkills
September 24th, 2006, 00:50
wow that is pretty cool, looks like sony has some competition eventually

kamatschka
September 25th, 2006, 22:42
Can any one check if I did it right? Please?

You switched it up....

Look carefully to the Sheme...
you soldered it wrong... the TxD Contact on the Plug and the GRND !!!!

Look carefully at the scheme and hold your soldered Plug under the diagramm to compere it !!!!

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 04:08
Hi I remade my cable and I have tryed it and know it say location out of range what does that mean please help.

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 05:47
does it work with green screen program???

Please read through these forums threads - a lot of this has been answered before..

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 05:56
Hi I upload a video and yes the green program is working can you check out the video thanks and help me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgKlRY1ouM