PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

shadowprophet
July 25th, 2006, 21:04
Since Castlevania hit the Game Boy Advance just after the system's launch, it's been nothing but pure gold. Even Harmony of Dissonance, which is considered to be the weakest of the series, is still an amazing package that does the series justice. But while the GBA titles were great games, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for DS is the only one that, in this reporter's opinion, comes close to the pinnacle side-scrolling adventure game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. In fact, it's the pursuit of dethroning what is considered by many to be one of the world's greatest games - my personal favorite - that keeps the Castlevania series reaching to such heights, as we see it again in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9233/castle1vn3.jpg

Whether or not this is will be your first Castlevania game or not, Portrait of Ruin is destined for greatness. Spring-boarding off the previous DS adventure, Portrait of Ruin again combines the now legendary gameplay that brought the Castlevania series into the next generation. Rather than sticking with level-based gameplay that was (despite the pun), very two-dimensional, Konami gave new life to the series by adding in a very balanced level up structure, free-roaming environments that feature some of the best adventure level design since Super Metroid, and a ton of diversity in gameplay. If a player wanted to go through the whole game bare knuckled, they could. If they wanted to focus on magic rather than steel, it was an option. The Castlevania series has morphed into the definitive "go anywhere, do anything" 2D series, and it's secured its place in history for it. Portrait of Run is no different from its predecessors, though it brings a different kind of variety to the table altogether.

Though they're still apparent in Portrait of Ruin, level ups, new weapons, and intriguing worlds are now commonplace in the series, and it takes more than a new package and storyline to truly innovate. Luckily for us, Konami isn't out to disappoint, including a new two-player swapping mechanic that was tried out in a very minimal way during the bonus completion of Dawn of Sorrow. Players can take control of not one, but two vampire hunters, using a combination of classic whip attacks with Jonathan Morris, as well as witchcraft with Charlotte Orlean. The design is still being worked out, so Konami would only share very basic concepts with us, but the overall design will allow players to command the extra character at any time with the touch screen, or simply allow them to follow behind you (almost like a familiar from Symphony of the Night), attacking as it pleases. In puzzle situations, players will have to use both characters in tandem, which promises to be an awesome addition to the puzzle atmosphere of the Castlevania series.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6704/castle2fx3.jpg

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin has no final release date yet, though the Japanese version is espected to hit sometime in late December or early January, with a US version following shortly after.

Leave Feedback Via Comments Below

ACID
July 25th, 2006, 21:14
Crap this is awsome now i have to work extra to get al this games with out mi wife killing me.

bosanova_x
July 27th, 2006, 17:00
whip cracking bone smashing action with a new vania on ds.although i thought it was coming out a little earlier.

I'm guessing IGA and crew are going to improve on the most exelent dawn of sorrow.

god I love vania.

roll on megaman zx to!!