PDA

View Full Version : freedo

gymguy24
November 1st, 2004, 00:31
First off ive been a big fan of the site i check it once a day for news and the forums and i think its great whats being done to and for the dc these days. Just wandering if it would be possible to port the 3do emu freedo to the dc that would be great for the dc scene.im not sure if it could be done but that is because im not sure of the specs needed to run it on a pc and i am in no way a coder unless alittle q-basic counts these days( lol) well thats my 2 cents thank for the input guys.

phipscube
November 1st, 2004, 03:46
Funny you mention that... Im no coder, but would love to see FreeDo on DC as well. *Just recently version 1.7 WIP beta has been released on PC.. but more interestingly, Felix (admin) one of the main guys behind FreeDo has mentioned on the boards that DC is very capable of emulating 3DO!!

Quote from him: -

Re: Freedo for Dreamcast?
« Reply #17 on: September 21st, 2004, 10:40pm » * *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"guys, just to stop this flame. Freedo can run on DreamCast with full speed. Dreamcast and 3do has more similarities than PC and 3do -- in PC CPU is important part and emulates virtually everything. BUT!!! in dream cast -- CPU can emulate ARM very fast, DSP can emulate DSP of 3do very fast too, and what's important -- w/o resources of CPU. Also PVR2 is probably the only 3d processor which can virtually be used as CEL engine.

BUT!!! All this with ONE condition -- somebody need to code all this."

VERY interesting indeed!! *:)

Darksaviour69
November 1st, 2004, 03:57
Felix was also working on icarus (the DC emu) so he would know his stuff about the DC.

it might be possable, but it i would say it would be very hard!

wraggster
November 1st, 2004, 13:48
I had a 3d0 on day 1 in the UK and it would be awesome to see it arrive on the Dreamcast :)

tinku
November 1st, 2004, 15:27
i dont see much hope for it, lets face it the snes and genesis emus cant be finnished, there isnt the talent on DC to port this properly.

tinku :-/

milfzor
November 1st, 2004, 15:44
er...but on the other hand, neo geo cd CAN run fullspeed......its all a question of how similar the systems really are....i will say this...3do does run off discs, 3do games wouldnt have to be loaded to the ram, giving a heck of a lot more room for the actual emulator to be ran off of.............as for the quesiton of if anyone can code it....well...that has yet to be seen, i guess....

wraggster
November 1st, 2004, 15:50
i dont see much hope for it, lets face it the snes and genesis emus cant be finnished, there isnt the talent on DC to port this properly.

ill remember you said that

DCDayDreamer
November 1st, 2004, 15:53
i dont see much hope for it

I used to think negative like that when I first discovered homebrew on the DC, I never bothered to post such things though because something always got released to change my opinion.

lets face it the snes and genesis emus cant be finnished

It's not they can't be finished, they just haven't been perfected yet.

there isnt the talent on DC to port this properly.

That's the most stupid think to say, you have no idea how talented any coder is within this community, I'm not even going to go through a rundown of all the coders and their contributions but I will mention one significant hint - 'KOS'.

Don't you have anything positive to post about?, maybe you'd be better off with a more 'talented' scene, rather than this one.

quzar
November 1st, 2004, 16:37
i dont think that this is very newsworthy, because that is a very old post.

BlackAura
November 1st, 2004, 21:59

Well, you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about, so it would be easy to simply dismiss your comment there.

First off, the Genesis emulators. In case you didn't realise, Genesis Plus is getting to the stage where it can run many games quite well, at around 98% speed, although it has some graphics and sound issues. If you're judging our abilities from the problems of a preview version, which was never intended to be released, and completely ignoring the amazing progress made on it, then you're a moron.

There is still more work to be done, and I'm fairly confident that it'll be able to run 75% of the Genesis games library either perfectly or nearly so, with high quality sound, at full speed. In other words, it should be vastly superior to Sega's emulator included in the Smash Pack which was developed by people being paid to work on it full time.

As for SNES emulators... Properly emulating a SNES is actually a lot harder than properly emulating a Genesis, because a SNES emulator needs to be more accurate. Most of the techniques we've used to get Genesis Plus up to speed simply aren't possible with a SNES, either because they give no speed up (the DreamSNES guys rewrote the CPU emulator in optimised assembly language, and it only gave them a tiny speed increase, but a faster CPU emulator sped Genesis Plus up massively), or because they'd break 90% of all SNES games, when similar techniques only break 10% of all Genesis games. That'll take a lot longer, and may not even be possible without writing a SNES emulator from scratch. That could take years to perfect, and it still may not be possible.

Second... Lack of talent? You're ignorance is showing.

souLLy
November 2nd, 2004, 00:44
i look forward to your forthcoming snes and genesis emulators tinku, and don't waste my time with anything less than full speed perfect emulation with full sound. cheers.

obelisk
November 2nd, 2004, 01:21
??? ??? ??? ??? ?that was lame to say, dude, you're So wrong. We've got stuff running on DC that's just not thought to be possibly ran on a 200mhz system. The statement you made shows me that you don't like where you are. Watch, you'll be downloading a an emu from one of these people that you say have no talent ad tossing up a "WOW" in a thread soon too for it. I think that people live crappy lives because they think negative like that. If you feel that way about your faith in DC, and how there's no talent, break all your DC stuff and throw it away. You don't need to think like that man, this is one of the reasons i do't like boards sometimes.
The coders and porters, and all them that do the emus put real valuable time into these emus fro everyone to enjoy, time that could be spent with their families, wives, girlfriends, chores, dates, playing games, not for running diagostics, not for the emus, but for their own selves.
This is about games, not starting stuff.... these things are special, fun and sacred to me. They help keep me going, and filling in a hole in me. I want to say thank you to:the coders and program devvers, translators, / etc. The only thing i mess with code wise is some visual basic stuff in Visual Pinball for win PC. I don't think it's really all that hard probably but it' takes me a long time to wrap up scripts, and it's tough, for me anyway.

Thanx to The creators of / And::
NesterDC 6, Nester DC SE, All versions Atari Stella, All versions Atari 5200 n 800, DCGNuBoy, SMS PLUS (pascal's), SMEG, IMR Tech for tons of SGA releases as well as NeoGeo 80's MAME, and tuns more, ... BlackAura for the GenisisPlus stuff and whatever you got up yr sleeve! , arcaade game emu ppl,, homebrew people, GPF for working on the VisuaTroyAdvance and other fun stuff ya got. Quzar, and all the rest of the people, including wraggster for the site, and all the people attached., i can't remember all the homebrew/ emu authors/ porters name.....You've helped me stay outta trouble, and quite amuzed.

Anything is possible.

obelisk
November 2nd, 2004, 01:30
tinku, yes, by the by, i aslo need nothing more than perfect atari 7800, lynx, SNES, Genesis, TG16, ATARI ST, GBA, wonderswan, mac, 3d0 and satrn, oh. the game party IS tommorow. + i want full speed no crash C=64, and i need it b4 the rave in 3 days.

phipscube
November 2nd, 2004, 07:11
I'll tell you what guys, i'll be honest, i've owned a DC for a long time, but never really bothered with anything but commercial games on it. *My DC took a bit of a back seat to my PS2 as well the last few years. Thing is I always go back to the DC and play stuff like Sonic Adventure for a bit. Its a real shame Sega lost all the money they did right when the DC was becoming so popular! Sods law and all that.

I've heared about emulators running on the DC but never had much interest thinking that a 200MHz games machine without a hard drive, low RAM etc could probably only really handle stuff as high as say the Sega Master System.

Well, I was suprised after hearing about the Neo Geo CD emu and just recently the Amiga and Atari ST emulators appearing in emu news pages such as zophars domain... I had to check it out! so thats how I came across this site...

Im amazed at the amount of underground interest still there in the DC!! It kinda reminds me of the passion of the Amiga scene... Those guys are always proving the impossible with that little wonder machine even nowadays.

I just wish I could code and i'd have a go at doing something worthy for the DC scene... I'm just a dumbass gamer *;D

wraggster
November 2nd, 2004, 09:01
ill tell you what, youll be amazed at whats to come :)

SmashinGit
November 2nd, 2004, 09:50
I to have owned a 3do from day 1. I remember running down the street with my £400.00 in my pocket (yes thats how much they cost when they came out :P) to HMV just so I could get home and play Road Rash, was totally blown away when I first saw that game :) ! Tinku don't hate, appreciate :)

wraggster
November 2nd, 2004, 10:23
i had the need for speed, what an amazing game that was at the time :)

SmashinGit
November 2nd, 2004, 10:34
I remember the great argument at the time, Need for Speed or Ridge Racer on playstation, which one was the best , great times. I loved doing 360 degree turns in the Ferrari, just spinning it around in a circle, the handling on that game felt just right.

wraggster
November 2nd, 2004, 10:59
it was such a sweet game, i may buy a 3d0 again soon :)

phipscube
November 3rd, 2004, 02:11
I could never afford a 3D0... I bought an Atari Jaguar *Cringe* My mate bought a 3D0 though... I LOVED The Need for Speed and Road Rash!! I think that 3D0 Need for Speed has never been bettered in all its incarnations on other systems (Remember the PSX version? that was C.R.A.P!)

arqueiro
November 3rd, 2004, 03:45
i started this discution on freedo forums, i love 3do

milfzor
November 3rd, 2004, 10:03
i still HAVE a 3do system, but i wanna see the emulator ported to dreamcast, just for the sake of seeing that the programers can do it, i will BET that it can be done, too...in the mean time, im gonna keep playin my 3do system with the adaptor that allows SNES controllers to be used on it :D

gymguy24
November 12th, 2004, 03:03
So any coders out there think its at least possible?

MetaFox
November 12th, 2004, 14:35
So any coders out there think its at least possible?It's possible to emulate the 3DO on the Dreamcast, yes. Though it's too early to tell if it's possible to port the FreeDO codebase. The sourcecode hasn't been released yet, and it's been hinted that the information that was supplied to them with the implicit instructions to never release it into public domain will be included with the source in dynamically linked libraries. If that's the case, then the FreeDO source won't be portable to the Dreamcast, as DLLs are completely useless to us.

This is all speculation though, we'll have to wait and see.