PDA

View Full Version : Molyneux: PC gaming is being reborn

wraggster
March 21st, 2010, 19:54
Lionhead's boss and Fable-creator, Peter Molynuex, has said he believes that PC gaming is in the process of being reborn - with upstart Facebook games changing how players expect to interact with videogames.

"I was born on PC," he told Switched. "The PC was this thing that was completely open-ended. That felt great and when I skipped over to the consoles it felt like being slightly imprisoned by this box... But hey guess what? Now they keep giving us this new hardware stuff. Natal and Move... it feels a bit more PCish."

He continued: "The surprising thing about the PC, that is just starting to happen now, is that gaming is being reborn on the PC."

"You've got things like Facebook, everyone's talking about Facebook games. There's this company called Zynga and they've made these Facebook games, 88 million people [play them], and everybody who's making these big opus epics are jealous looking at these Zynga new kids on the block."

"It feels like everything that has evolved in gaming is all changing at the moment. It's changing radically," Molynuex said, explaining why he thought Facebook games could attract large audiences.

"We all want to suggest things to our friends, we want to involve our friends... there is a very interesting future there. Just the very fact that you can show off a little bit, in Farmville's case you can show off your farm. I think there is a real rich future there and I don't see why all types of games, from enormous triple-A blockbusters to the smallest ones can't incorporate that level of interaction."

Molyneux also commented on Fable III, saying that Lionhead wanted to upset gamers' expectations with a different experience than the prior two titles had.

"We could make Fable III like any sequel ... but I think we need to surprise people," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239820?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS