PDA

View Full Version : ABOUT THE GBA EMULATOR

Chanka
July 28th, 2004, 18:11
do you thing it will ever run commercial games at full ?? speed or decent speed? ???

curt_grymala
July 28th, 2004, 19:45
probably not, but I've been wrong before.

Chanka
August 1st, 2004, 18:14
i see, yeah, nothing's impossible..
but I really dont see why the dreamcast wouldnt be able to emulate it..
it's quite a lot of times more powerful than the gba

Alexvrb
August 1st, 2004, 19:25
When it comes to emulation, that doesn't mean anything.

guymelef
August 1st, 2004, 20:13
when it come to emualtion you usually need a system that in a basic power rating is 10 to 1. there exceptions but usually you get a minimilistic emulator that barely emulates the raw functions of a debugger. the trick is to have an extreme knowledge of the hardware for both systems as well as the operating call functions nessacary to make them both work. it's really a pain in the ass and far underestimated .

Segata_Sanshiro
August 14th, 2004, 13:49
oh, please, anybody tell me if the lack of RAM is considered as a problem :'(

Hola
August 15th, 2004, 19:14
The ram is not a limit. Alot of 8MB roms can already fit and with more revision games like Golden Sun will be able to fit into ram. If the core isnt wrote in Sh4 you mines will kiss the idea of fullspeed away. There not enough cheap tricks in the world to get it to a playable speed.

GPF
August 15th, 2004, 22:59
I haven't tried Golden Sun since I first ported the emu. All it did was boot the opening splash screen and then would lock up, so I don't know if its a lack of memory or some other error.

But every 8 meg rom I have tried works, slowly but they work.

Troy

quzar
August 15th, 2004, 23:31
The ram is not a limit. Alot of 8MB roms can already fit and with more revision games like Golden Sun will be able to fit into ram. If the core isnt wrote in Sh4 you mines will kiss the idea of fullspeed away. There not enough cheap tricks in the world to get it to a playable speed.

Where do you get this mystical knowledge that tells you everything about how emulation works and why are you not sharing it with the world through the means of making your own?

I can think of one way that would make GBA emulation fullspeed, and would allow for roms of maybe 12mb in size. I seriously just dont know enough to create it, but I'm sure with the proper documentation, it would be relatively simple.

Chanka
August 17th, 2004, 17:12
Hola just... Forget it , i dont want to get banned, but... you always got something stupid 2 say.
why is that?

Eric
August 17th, 2004, 18:05
Yeah i think Hola has the brains to work on projects. It seems he knows what he is talking about. If so Hola show GPF how to make his GBA emu. Im not joking.

Eric

Hola
August 17th, 2004, 19:50
Do you know how big of a hell coding for DC is? Its just so much easier to code for PS2 or Xbox. Xbox is just as easy as using a PC. I'm not saying SH4 is the end all to everything but asm is fast when it comes to console coding. I may seem like I always talk about of my ass but I do know some very reputable coders and I love to learn and enjoy there teachings.
I'm still trying to look into the theory of loading the emulator into the arm. All I keep hearing tho is that is should be theortically possable but I dont see how it would be.

Kamjin
August 17th, 2004, 21:14
Hola..
There's a few breeds of coder out there, I'm not going to say one is better than the other just one is different than the other. One comes from a Hardware background, and the other from a software background. The one's from a HW background instantly know how the arm in the DC can be used to execute code.

How to do it.. well exactly the same way you do vertex lists, or a fasion of "scatter gather" but in this case it's not scattering. Haven't looked at the arm specs on the DC much.. but this would be the basic idea..

first off the instruction set will have differnces, so you'll need some sort of translator/dynarec to handle the translation, and address remapping..
You have an imaginary map of the GBA on the SPU ram, the sh4 translates the instructions, and feeds them to the ARM, you'd sort the data by branches, and use the MMU to trap access outside the "chunk" then the sh4 would grab the data, and several pages ahead, and feed it back to the arm. when the "chunk" ends it will generate an interupt, and the sh4 will feed the next finished chunck to the ARM. (both possible paths of the branch were translated during execution time, so one is discarded and the other is fed)
During this time the SH4 handles the sniffing of the screen controller input etc..

Hola
August 17th, 2004, 21:20
That sounds like alot of effort to do. Would it even be worth doing just to load bigger roms?

Kamjin
August 17th, 2004, 21:42
There's a flaw with that.. sound.. you won't have much time left to do it, and not sure if the mmu can cover the arm that way..
By handling it that way the rom size doesn't really matter since you're only paging in sections at a time, and banking on the fact that you have alot of free time left from the parallel processing on the sh4 side to load etc.. but using this kind of approach will get it up to speed..

Is it worth it?? well I have a GBplayer, and a GBA + GBASP... so in my case.. not really..

quzar
August 18th, 2004, 00:47
Do you know how big of a hell coding for DC is?
yes. ;D

actually as long as you are doing purely software stuff it is simple. I have yet to have formal training of any sort in programming or computers (i took some courses in HS, but i basically ended up teaching them) and it's not that bad. I plan on learning bout hardware so that i can approach problems from either standpoint.

milfzor
September 26th, 2004, 00:42
and people were saying some months back that a neo geo cd emulator was unfathomable......... ::) i've got faith in the guys doing the coding.....they have made some VERY nice projects.....

Eric
September 27th, 2004, 08:44
Yes but lets remember that every system has different chips and how these systems react with the different hardware can make a not possible emulator

Alexvrb
September 27th, 2004, 23:51
Yes but lets remember that every system has different chips and how these systems react with the different hardware can make a not possible emulatorI'm sorry my friend, you're in over your head.