PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Princess In-Depth

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2006, 20:18
http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/1650/logona9.jpg

First there was,The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, For the Game Cube, Then of course. Nintendo announced that it would release two different versions of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- one for Game Cube, and one for Nintendo Wii. But that has left us with many questions Like. Does the Zelda formula work with Wii's new controllers? Or will long-time fans be disappointed with the changes?

All Sings point to a great game!

Like others when I first heard The Big N Was going to add Wii controller support, The first thing that came to mind was a train wreck of what Could have been a great game,And who could blame me, Zelda isn't about points and clicking , It's about fighting and puzzle solving! And lets face it , Who hasn't had there reservations about swinging a wii controller around like a rabid star wars geek for sword play?

But since E3 the popular vote is in, Reports of praise and innovation abound this bold new move from nintendo, The developer smartly integrated Wii pointer and nunchuck control to deliver something that not only works, but feels fresh.

Remember playing Majora's Mask back on the N64? Despite the novel three-day setup, some players found that it felt a bit too similar to The Ocarina of Time and thus simply wasn't as exciting and fresh.

And Twilight Princess may have turned out the same way. It's a gorgeous game filled with great puzzles and characters -- and apparently it's a longer and more involved quest than any Zelda game before it -- but it's firmly rooted in the TOoT-style of gameplay. Well, not anymore. The changes the control setup in the Wii version adds to the game profoundly impact the game's feel. Fishing will feel new. Blocking? that will feel new too!. Shooting arrows?.. new!!. Even the spin attack has a new twist to it. So even though you may encounter a familiar looking puzzle, the new control dynamics give everything a fresh coat of paint. Yes, you can get excited now.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6617/excitedhe4.jpg

The demo and footage Shown at E3 offers two areas to explore: dungeon and Hena's Fishing Hole. Where's the traditional boss battle demo Nintendo usually includes in E3 demos? Don't worry, the boss battle is actually at the end of the dungeon stage. Let's tackle the dungeon first.

Dungeon Demo

If you've Seen the E3 Video, you've already seen most of the area. The shadowy figure Midna acts as a guide, while Navi -- your trusted fairy -- actually acts as a target for the pointer functionality at times. You get to try out your sword on a scarecrow (lock on with a shoulder button on the nunchuck, then hit the B button underneath the pointer to strike), navigate a series of wooden walkways above a waterlogged area, and shoot arrows at enemies. You control Link as always via the left analog stick and you can quick-center the camera with the same button used for lock-on. The trigger button on the nunchuck lets you kick the game into a first-person camera view. And it's here that players experience the freelook function of the pointer for the first time. The experience with the aiming control is easily likened to using an analog thumb stick for the first time. Some players will struggle with the sensitivity of the on-screen target that shows what you're looking or aiming at. Other players only took a moment to adjust the controls.

The combination of the controller rumble, the audio feedback from the built-in controller speaker and the motion controls create something really special here. Nintendo's shown without doubt that the control setup enhances many of the actions performed in Link's world, but thankfully also exercised restraint and didn't overthrow everything we've become accustomed to over the years just for the sake of showing off the controller, There are some small hitches, however. For one, the action of throwing crates by shaking the nunchuck didn't always work. this is most likely a bug that Nintendo will easily be able to fix as the spin attack worked like a charm every time. The second issue came up when trying to aim at a nasty little guy far away on a platform. The freehand controller had somehow gotten calibrated off-center, making quick aiming extremely difficult. It's unclear whether this was a bug with the game code or a problem with the freehand-aim control setup that Nintendo has yet to solve across all its titles.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/2039/profilepk5.jpg

Here are some of the things discovered and tried out during the dungeon demo By a few players at E3:

# Item Selection
As mentioned above, Navi acts as a quasi mouse-arrow while you're exploring. It's easy to ignore the little fairy whirring around while you're controlling Link with the analog stick, but there are times when you have to direct your eyes towards her position. For example, selecting your item sub-menu is done by aiming Navi at the item cross in the upper right and pressing a button. This will access the menu. You can then simply point at the item you want to equip and press the button you want to assign it to.
# Crates and Pots
You can pick up crates, throw them with the nunchuck or put them down. You can smash them with your sword and, as enemies demonstrated with some fire arrows, they can also be burned. Crates and pots contain the usual assortment of heart power-ups, rupees, and weapon refills (arrows, for example).
# The Sword and Shield
All your favorite moves are here, including slashing, the forward slice, spin attacks, and the rolls, sidesteps and backflips. The sword fighting is controlled via the pointer's buttons (not by waving it in the air like in Red Steel, for example). However, if you lock on and jerk the Wii-mote forward, Link parries. An attacking enemy is instantly stunned by this maneuver. As shown in the press conference demonstration, Link can also perform a downward thrust finishing move on enemies who are on the ground. Currently, it can be performed at the press of a button or by moving the nunchuck downward -- the latter feels much better, of course.
# Spin Attack
To perform Link's classic tornado attack, you perform a circular motion with the nunchuck.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/5525/foresttempleta3.jpg

# Bow and Arrow
The freehand-style pointer reinvents the bow controls. It really feels fresh -- and most importantly, challenging. Shooting arrows in real life is not an easy task. You not only have to have a steady hand while aiming, you have to do so while pulling back on the bow string. Nintendo emulates this by letting you aim manually with the pointer and then making you press the direction on the digital pad you have equipped the bow to to nock the arrow. Though this doesn't duplicate the two-handed control of a real bow, it adds the challenge of having to press a button with the same hand you're using to aim. You really have to steady your hand to take out a faraway opponent. The demo had some strategically placed Bokoblin-like imps for players to snipe. You could either directly shoot them or shoot an explosive barrel nearby for a money shot.
# The Claw Hookshot
The new hookshot looks like a mixture between Wind Waker's claw-endowed grapple and the classic chain hookshot. You fire it like the bow and arrow, but you actually have to hold down the button while aiming. Let go and it fires and pulls you up or forward, just like in previous Zelda games. In the dungeon demo, the hookshot was the only way to get to an area with a treasure box. The reward: a yellow rupee.
# The Lantern
Yes, it's back. We've carried burning sticks in 3D Zelda titles before, but the lantern is a welcome addition to Twilight Princess. Not only does it light up the dark, you can also wave it by moving the controller. One can only imagine the fire-related puzzles it will be used for. The lantern requires petroleum, which can be kept in bottles.
# Bottles
It's not a Zelda game without the ability to store items in bottles. The bottles Link had on him in the demo were filled with lantern fluid and a fairy.
# Boots
Yes, you can walk underwater when using these trusted heavy boots -- even when on a fishing trip. Yes, Link can only walk slowly when they're equipped. Yes, they make him really heavy and able to push down rusted pressure plates. Yes, they are used to anchor you to the ground in "sticky" situations, such as a giant magnet used in the demo to transport Link from one walkway to another; and effectively turns his world upside down. But there are no doubt more secrets slumbering in these "electrified" upgrades of the classic item. Expect to see plenty of underwater and upside down action in the future.
# The Gale Boomerang
Looks like some of Wind Waker's wind-based puzzles are back. In the demo dungeon, players have to figure out a simple boomerang puzzle. There are four pillars with spinners on top. Players are asked to lock on to the tops of the pillars (you can also lock on to the pillars themselves, but that won't help you here) one by one and then send the boomerang flying at the targets. Aiming is done with the pointer, locking on with the B button underneath the Wii-mote. The trick in this particular puzzle is that players have to pay attention to a pattern on the ground that shows you in which order to hit the little windmills. The boomerang can of course also be used to retrieve items or knock out enemies. You can move around slowly while aiming, by the way.

# The Map
The staple map display returns. Naturally, you can easily turn on or off the small map overlay, complete with entrance locator and Link's current position marker -- but there's also a bigger map available. We took a little peek and saw tempting hints at other locations, including a Goron Mine.

There are no doubt many more things to uncover in the demo, but Vidoes Only reveal so so much.

behind The final door to the dungeon demo is the Balrog-like fire giant shown in screenshots and earlier trailers. When Link walks in, the statue-like giant looks shadowy and black and sits motionless in the middle of an arena. As Link approaches, a jewel on the creature's forehead begins to glow and the giant comes to life. He shakes the oversized iron chains attached to his arms and bursts into flames. If you don't want to know how to defeat him, skip to the next paragraph now. It's a no-brainer, actually: using your bow and arrow, you have to target the jewel and fire off an arrow. This will blind the creature, giving you a chance to run up to one of its chains, grab and hold it with the B button and pull on it. But pull as you might, the giant is simply too strong and will drag you along. The solution? Heavy Boots, you guessed it. With the boots attached, you can slowly drag the chains backwards and make the fire giant fall down. Then it's the tried-and-true Gohma-maneuver that does it in. Hit the eye and you emerge victoriously. An impressive death sequence shows the creature rear up in agony as the flames extinguish and it fades to a dark black and shrinks down to a smaller size. The demo ends. The Videos alone leave me wanting more.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8818/me00005995002cp3.jpg

The Look
What's to Be said But impressive, With all the setbacks on this title they have had ample time to polish this title into a wondrous Gem, A masterpiece even!

The Verdict So Far
It looks like Twilight Princess was worth the wait. Twilight Princess looks like a clear winner and has secured itself a permanent spot at the top of my most-wanted list until its release!!

Leave Feedback Via Comments Below

Emeriastone
July 28th, 2006, 04:20
Ooo. One BIG reason to buy a Wii (on top of all the others!).

JKKDARK
July 28th, 2006, 04:21
wow! Amazing pics :)

darkmythril
July 28th, 2006, 14:13
yay.
looks like nintendo won this time.

Malksta
July 28th, 2006, 15:03
Oh man what i would do for a wii and a copy of Twilight princess now :o

darkmythril
July 29th, 2006, 17:27
i'm (hopefully) gonna get one me b day.

(14 yo here)

Kramer
July 29th, 2006, 17:46
after reading this i decided i have to get a wii
has the the price for it been announced yet

darkmythril
July 29th, 2006, 18:35
last i checked it was £150 ($285).
IM getting one

RDToT
August 13th, 2006, 11:46
man i will grt the Wii and the game but one year later from now cuz i have got (unfortunatly ) my last year of high school so it decides my future and i have to study for it http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/smilies/redface.gif

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 12:22
after reading this i decided i have to get a wii
has the the price for it been announced yet
The official price is not yet known but its sayd to be less then 250 usd. Im getting one thats for sure and its all because of this game.