PDA

View Full Version : 3.21 blocks OtherOS - Thoughts

wraggster
April 7th, 2010, 16:35
SONY will remove the fat PS3's feature OtherOS with the new 3.21 firmware update which will arrive 1. April. I think everyone should know why this happened, so far. But let's think about what may happen.

Legal?

It won't be legal to force the user to remove a feature (OtherOS) which was shipped originally with the PS3. So the update will be optional and PSN support should still work, even if you do not update.

Reactivate OtherOS?

It depends how they removed the OtherOS. At the moment the PS3 system reads a flag which decides if OtherOS is available or not. If this flag is killed now, it may be the easiest way to re-enable Linux support by resetting the flag to a 3.20 one. But if they remove the function to even read the flag it may become a bit more complicate.

I wonder how long it takes till it's analyzed, too bad my PS3 got a YLOD atm :( But I'm sure the community will get an answer soon.

- SKFU

http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2010/03/321-blocks-otheros-thoughts.html

Kimi232
April 17th, 2010, 23:37
Well... I've battled it out with many on the offical ps3 update board...
I think it's just sony spazzing out.
But the update bricked my ps3. And they wont do anything about it, so I'm just stuck only hoping geohotz comes out with something soon after he finishes his taxes. :-)

eddieh4444
April 18th, 2010, 01:36
Yea, I've been holding out waiting for that CFW but Geo hasn't given us anything (not even a 1 word twitter update) in 3 days. I can't hold out forever and I'm going to update tonight unless he at least let's us know that he's alive.