PDA

View Full Version : Violent games: "buck stops with parents"

wraggster
April 7th, 2010, 23:43
Parents must take responsibility for keeping violent content away from children - that was the message this morning from Mothers Against Violence in a BBC Radio Leeds debate on violent videogames.

A spokesperson for the organisation, whose aim is to "promote the eradication of violence and to relieve the victims of the effects of violence within the community", told the station: "I'm not directly blaming games, I'm blaming parents," adding: "If someone doesn't do something where does it stop?"

Grand Theft Auto was the inevitable focal point of the discussion - between the parent, presenters and a games journalists - with the handheld versions of the series produced locally at Rockstar Leeds.

On GTA, the mother said: "Why is it okay to beat up a prostitute, but not okay to pick up a normal civilian?" In fact, GTA features the ability to pick up and drive around 'normal civilians'.

A broader point made was that many parents, despite age-ratings on packaging, don't pay attention to the games their children are playing, not are they aware of the negative effects they could have.

The Mothers Against Violence spokesperson called on other mothers to help educate parents on the issue, stating: "It just takes one of us to spread the word, to plant the seed." It's about "taking the time to study what games are all about," she added, expressing fears that violent games were "desensitising" children who are "becoming complacent and think they're invincible".

Rockstar issued a statement to BBC Radio Leeds, stating it "submits every game to the appropriate ratings body", adding that the GTA series is "18-rated and is entertainment clearly aimed at an adult audience".

Videogames in the UK are currently age-rated by the BBFC and PEGI, with the latter system set to be adopted as the sole standard. Part of the controversial Digital Economy Bill - which receives its third reading in UK parliament today - the system is expected to pass into law before next months general election.

The UK games industry has said it will fund a parental awareness campaign on the new ratings.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/buck-stops-with-parents-on-violent-games

symbal
April 8th, 2010, 01:59
It's easy for them to walk in with a holyer than thou attitude and have a rosey view of how the world should be, but being realistic how is a parent supposed to stop kids playing violent games now? You can't just go to a store and pick out the games for them because it's easy to get pirated games, and most parents won't sit there and watch what they playing all day, so really you have to get the balance between trusting the games won't turn your kids into killers and never leaving your kids sides and probably grow up messed up in the head from overbearing parents, i'll bet a lot of this group still has 40 year old sons still living at home.

TheStig
April 8th, 2010, 10:25
It's easy for them to walk in with a holyer than thou attitude and have a rosey view of how the world should be, but being realistic how is a parent supposed to stop kids playing violent games now? You can't just go to a store and pick out the games for them because it's easy to get pirated games, and most parents won't sit there and watch what they playing all day, so really you have to get the balance between trusting the games won't turn your kids into killers and never leaving your kids sides and probably grow up messed up in the head from overbearing parents, i'll bet a lot of this group still has 40 year old sons still living at home.

There is a parental control setting that lets you put a rating in to stop youngsters playing adult rated games. That's one way. Yes given that you need a bit of trust with your children, but not letting them play violent games isn't being overbearing IMO(dependant on age of kids). Its called caring for the welfare of your children. Being a parent and gamer I know what games my kids can play and I let them play appropriately rated games. IMO I'm doing what I think is right for my kids and that's all I can do. As for other parents, I'm sure they'll make the right choice for their children.

Hawq
April 8th, 2010, 19:20
this is one for the 'no s**t Sherlock' pile, though the buck stopping with the parents does mean they have to do some actual parenting, for a change