PDA

View Full Version : Canada: RCMP says modifying a video game console punishable by 10y in jail

wraggster
April 11th, 2010, 16:01
News via http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkZpyZZZFAonDbPCxV.php

Attention Canadian gamers: be careful if you decide to modify your video game console.
The decision to do so could land you in prison.

Modifying a video game console such as a PlayStation3 or Xbox 360 is a crime in Canada and could result in a penalty of up to 10 years in prison, according to a recent release from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

"Modifying a console and computer is considered an illegal act under section 342.1 of the Criminal Code and is punishable by imprisonment for up to ten years," the RCMP said in the statement.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fpposted/archive/2010/04/07/fp-tech-desk-rcmp-says-modifying-a-video-game-console-punishable-by-10-years-in-jail.aspx

symbal
April 11th, 2010, 17:21
Hmmm does that include soft mods and exploits that don't modify hardware or any copyrighted code? because running unsigned code and backups is just a byproduct and i wouldn't think legally they could stop that.

John Vattic
April 11th, 2010, 19:12
It simply means you no longer own a product you paid for. Think of it as, you pay 500$ for a ps3, but if you break it in any way you go to jail.

Brilliant, simply!

<---i would go to jail for replacing my psp faceplate :(

NeoXCS
April 11th, 2010, 19:17
Just one more step toward the world wanting total control. They haven't really done anything wrong until they prove they have run pirated software. It's a very flimsy law. I know more people who do it want to pirate but what about the legit homebrew gamers? Plus what does it mean modifying a computer? So if you put in some more ram they are gonna put you in jail for ten years? I'm sure that isn't what was meant but that statement isn't very clear. Anyhow it seems a bit too controlling.

XDelusion
April 11th, 2010, 19:27
New World Order

JDvorak
April 11th, 2010, 20:26
Does this mean that handhelds such as the GP2X (all Gameparks for that matter) or the Pandora would be illegal to order or see in Canada? I mean they play a lot of gray area stuff right out of the box. But you are not modding them in any way so it should be legal right?

Comments anyone, and just another thing to screw the Canadians!

JDvorak
April 11th, 2010, 20:29
Also I just noticed the wording of the law. Is that an exact quote because it says that modding a Console and a Computer . . . . So if I only mod a Console it is not against the law? Or if I only mod a Computer it is not against the law? Because the word 'AND' is in there.

Another thing to think about and comment on, eh!

watupgroupie
April 11th, 2010, 23:17
It may be a law, but I doubt it'll be ever enforced very strictly. I live in Canada and when it comes to stuff like this, we're a little lenient. We have barely cracked down on illegally downloaded movies, and if they know you have been, it seems they never even pursue it.

iceman100
April 11th, 2010, 23:21
um how do you modify a pc?

VampDude
April 11th, 2010, 23:36
um how do you modify a pc?

Certainly not by upgrading the internal devices, which is ruled out by PC building.

Possibly software related, there are lots of software related modification for PC's... Especially for wrongdoings.

Veskgar
April 12th, 2010, 02:16
<---i would go to jail for replacing my psp faceplate :(

:rofl:

Funny but it speaks truth to how ridiculous this is. People need to FIGHT legislation such as this. Governments just want us confined to a tiny invisible box surrounded by endless rules, laws, regulations, and restrictions....

Whenever you see something like this... QUESTION AUTHORITY and FIGHT!!!

symbal
April 12th, 2010, 04:20
Yeah! Fight the power.

JDvorak
April 12th, 2010, 15:01
Here's a thought why don't we all just use our devices for their intended purpose instead of bricking them and making bookends!!!

symbal
April 12th, 2010, 17:15
Because i paid good money for my devices and i should be able to do anything i like to it on my property including making into a bookend, if i then use it to play copies then fair enough i am breaking the law, but untill then i should be able to modify what i paid for.

fpcreator2000
April 12th, 2010, 19:34
It's a vague law made by uneducated law makers. They are letting industry dictate policy.

A sad day in Canada.

Although one interesting development is that it might make the owning and selling of mod chips illegal altogether.

XDelusion
April 13th, 2010, 06:38
#2!

The seven primary goals of Illuminism/Communism:

1. abolition of all ordered government
2. abolition of private property
3. abolition of inheritance
4. abolition of patriotism
5. abolition of all religions
6. abolition of family, morality, and control of education of children
7. creation of a world government

stanfy86
April 16th, 2010, 03:51
From the article:

"In addition to approximately three hundred copies of counterfeit video games, the investigators seized material used to modify consoles and illegally reproduce video games. The person arrested advertised the counterfeit goods on the Internet through various social media. He could face charges under the Criminal Code and the Copyright Act."

Dude is getting in trouble because he was SELLING THE COPIES, and being an idiot and advertising it. The RCMP does not give a crap about copying for personal use