PDA

View Full Version : New console failure rate survey, same old results

wraggster
April 15th, 2010, 20:55
A sizeable new survey has come up with some fairly predictable results regarding console failure rates.

While many of us here are well acquainted with Xbox 360's red rings, having gone through at least a couple of consoles, the latest survey on the matter still makes for shocking reading.

No Fuss Reviews says it polled 500,000 site visitors for each of the three major console platforms.

42 per cent of Xbox 360 owners said that their console had needed repairing or been replaced due to fault, compared to eight per cent of PS3 owners and one per cent of Wii owners.

The survey continued:

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than two times?

360: 39%
PS3: 8%
Wii: 0%

More than three times?

360: 12%
PS3: 2%

More than four times?

360: 6%
PS3: 1%

More than five times?

360: 3%
PS3: 1%

Not pretty reading for Microsoft.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242983?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

symbal
April 15th, 2010, 22:08
That's what i love about Nintendo they make their consoles to last forever and take the daily abuse of a 6 year old, but take a Sony console and you always feeling like you need to wipe the fingerprints off and make sure kids wash their hands before getting near it.

VampDude
April 15th, 2010, 23:50
I dropped my Wii many times before it broke, the funny thing was I expected it to have broken the first, second and third times.

I'm half expecting my Xbox 360 to break, though my PS3 (slim) I'm not even worried about because I've had it on for periods of a few days to almost a week and it's been fine.

Darksaviour69
April 16th, 2010, 13:01
Its, not a very scientific survey as they are just asking visitors of their site and it depends on there demographic. For instance if we took a survay on this site it would be heavily skewed with psp owners. Not saying that the results are useless, but they should not be compared to more scientific surveys.

VampDude
April 16th, 2010, 16:51
@DS:

It looks like the PSP wasn't considered important enough for the survey, I myself am on my third. :eek:

Darksaviour69
April 16th, 2010, 18:06
2 of your psps have broken? Was it your mistake or did they just break?

VampDude
April 16th, 2010, 18:23
One had a power problem, which is quite common amongst PSP's... Though I only had my PSP a year by that time, it bricked itself when I removed from it's power cradle forgetting that it was the PSP with the problem.

The other, decided that it didn't like being in the car when I was playing an emulator... Possibly the memory stick, which also led to a brick.

Now I have my third PSP and many spare parts.

---

I did read though, about some PSP's bricking themselves with an official update (just after the 2.80 era of 2006).

symbal
April 16th, 2010, 23:16
The big question is how many people have dropped a Psp and broke it and compare that to the NDS, they both reliable enough but if NDS is anything like the old gameboy you can drop it from a moving bike, throw it at people and just slip out your hands every week and still work 20 years later, how many Psp's you think will survive in 20 years?

VampDude
April 16th, 2010, 23:29
how many Psp's you think will survive in 20 years?

In 2026 (20 years from my first PSP) I estimate:

Three in every ten - 1000

four in every ten - 2000/3000

Six in every ten - PSP GO

symbal
April 16th, 2010, 23:52
You gotta wonder about the durability of that Psp Go slider though, and i think the 2k & 3k are a lot more fragile than the 1000 because Sony always over engineer the first console then start stripping stuff off for slim models, and Sony consoles are the kind of consoles that just get dumped in the trash when they getting old and acting up, but Nintendos just keep on trucking and might be thrown in the toy box and occasionally dug out.

NeoXCS
April 17th, 2010, 04:24
I have a 1000 still, bought on day one at midnight. Got wet somehow on my headphone port though and that doesn't work anymore. But otherwise it still runs just fine.

VampDude
April 17th, 2010, 06:03
You gotta wonder about the durability of that Psp Go slider though, and i think the 2k & 3k are a lot more fragile than the 1000 because Sony always over engineer the first console then start stripping stuff off for slim models, and Sony consoles are the kind of consoles that just get dumped in the trash when they getting old and acting up, but Nintendos just keep on trucking and might be thrown in the toy box and occasionally dug out.

I think the 2000/3000 models are securer and compact, which I would go for a 3000 model over my 1000 model. Anything with a slider faces the potential of breaking, which is why I avoid slider phones and everything else that slides because it only takes a slight jolt or whatnot (opening the slider hard and fast) with the slider and you could be looking at replacing parts.

I've never thrown out a SONY console (my first PlayStation was P/X'd as parts for a working one), though through my childhood I went through four original GameBoy's. The LCD screens used to explode within themselves after being dropped on the kitchen floor from the counter or down the stairs and even a short distance to the pavement, which other handheld consoles (including the GameBoy Pocket and Color) only got scuffed and scratched screen plastic (which was easily replaced). :cool: