PDA

View Full Version : Is firmware upgrade needed to play new psp games

dizzy
July 29th, 2006, 22:52
My PSP has firmware version 1.5 and am mainly using it to play emulated games. I have a few old psp games such as lumines,darkstalkers and ridge racer. Have never needed to upgrade from 1.5 yet and don't want to. My question is do I have to upgrade to another firmware version to play newer games like GTA or Field commander? I have been told that it's necessary, but I still want to play my emulated games that I already have under version 1.5 on my memory card. Could someone please let me know what the facts are concerning this?:confused:

Haggisdodger
July 29th, 2006, 23:13
Devhook is the answer to your question my friend. Put it on you mem stick and there is no need to update your system.

dizzy
July 29th, 2006, 23:24
Thanks for the info on Devhook. One question though. Is there any danger of screwing up the PSP using this? I've never had any problems with the emulators but this is something new.

Haggisdodger
July 29th, 2006, 23:30
Devhook loads firmware straight from the memory stick so there is no chance of screwing your psp. Its very safe i've used it loads of times without any problems what so ever.

andrew24
July 30th, 2006, 00:09
devhook bricked my psp though. so dont mess up!
________
Jaguar R3 specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_R3)

SSaxdude
July 30th, 2006, 02:05
Dev Hook cannot brick your PSP, unless you use the new version .46 which can write to the flash, and you were to shut off the PSP while it was flashing.
In other words, use Dev Hook without doubt.

under_0ath777
July 30th, 2006, 07:42
only your devhook can become bricked

spet040snaz
July 31st, 2006, 09:46
Hello,

I have managed to setup Dev Hook and have it work properly :) . However, I do not know how do I switch my firmware version to 2.6 so that I could play all the latest UMD.

Can someone pls give me a step by step guide as I can't quite get it to emulate 2.6 :confused:

Thanks so much

michael_dack_2005
August 4th, 2006, 08:37
use chaos zeros ultimate installer v1.1.1(i think). It is a computer exe program that installs a variety of things including the latest devhook 0.46 with 2.71 firmware. once it has done that unplug ur psp, load up devhook, select everything u want and make sure the firmware u select is 2.71, then ur umd should load fine

tuta
August 5th, 2006, 06:53
Is there any site that shows devhook compatibilty with umd's?
Anybody knows whether gundam generation portable could be played with devhook?

motz
August 5th, 2006, 08:30
Is there any site that shows devhook compatibilty with umd's?
Anybody knows whether gundam generation portable could be played with devhook?
DevHook will work with all UMDs unless they require firmware update 2.80.

Video_freak
August 5th, 2006, 09:46
DevHook will work with all UMDs unless they require firmware update 2.80.
and that may change in the future :)

michael_dack_2005
August 6th, 2006, 18:43
shame sony is suing booster for copyright infringment, but he will find a way round it, the master that he is!!