PDA

View Full Version : E3 Finished

wraggster
July 30th, 2006, 22:57
If true some very sad news via Next Gen (http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2):

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's likely that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, possibly even with the E3 brand, but this will be no more than a fig-leaf. The days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone.

Calls to ESA staff are not being returned at present.

If true its very sad for the gaming industry.

Ichijoe
July 30th, 2006, 23:13
Oh my GOD!!
Dosen't EA, and Co. realize there are starving People
in Los Vegas, that'll me made homeless by this rather pissy attatude?! ROTFLMFAO!!!

I say good for EA and Co...

jimmi
July 30th, 2006, 23:19
oh no i like E3 and now il never hav e a chance to go

bummer

StealthCP
July 30th, 2006, 23:46
:(

I always wanted to go...

NoQuarter
July 30th, 2006, 23:46
lame really lame

Basil Zero
July 31st, 2006, 00:00
Oh well, sad yes, but i never got the chance to go, and dont think i will be able to, oh well, at least in the next 10 years...lol

anyways, they can still post videos and news online right?, at the same date....so no difference eh?

geise69
July 31st, 2006, 00:30
I went in 1998 and it wasn't really that great. There were some cool exibits, but the lines and the crowd was rediculous. Also what you had to do to get free stuff also sucked. E3 in 1998 was the last one held in Atlanta. Now if I was with the press at the time and was able to get in to see the Dreamcast that was behind closed doors that would've rocked. The only thing good that year was SEGA's booth since they were showing off Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3. That was the highlight for me that year. I wish they would continue to do E3, but I can understand the cost of it. The rent at these places is crazy. Even for having a small exibit space.

pubjoe
July 31st, 2006, 00:49
okay, fanboyish comment coming up...

I bet the "larger exhibitors" aren't nintendo.

It sounds like a hissy fit from Sony... "If no-ones going to talk to me the FINE, I won't come to this stupid party!!!" followed by "I'm gonna do my own party at MY house and I'm only inviting my BEST friends this time".

These exhibitions encourage competition and drive and give a real insight into what the public likes, of course they are worthwhile.

"company-focused events" with no outside influence, just a load of yes-men, can't be healthy.

Sony should focus on making their next E3 more successful.

Cooe14
July 31st, 2006, 00:51
That SUCKS! I always look forward to it now it is no more :( . Well atleast there is still TGS.

gamesquest1
July 31st, 2006, 00:53
I also wanted to go to E3 for years i wouldnt want to go to some shitty sony only or xbox only thing where all you will get is one thing and saying how amazing it is without them having to put on a better show it will be some sad fanboy convension aimed at bumboys who love that specific console.......sad it really is hope they realise there mistake and change there mind

nielsss
July 31st, 2006, 01:00
three words *W-H-A-T*T-H-E *F-U-C-K*

iniquitous_beast
July 31st, 2006, 01:17
Wait a second...I just finished reading an article on gamespot which told the story a tad differently. ESA has supposedly made this decision on their own, not by coercion from big developers.

They are deliberately downsizing E3 in order to cut out all the worthless crap that fills it now (i.e. booth babes, rock bands, and endless crowds of non-game-industry people). This will drastically reduce the size of the event and therefore make it much more friendly for smaller developers. In other words, game develpoers will display their progress in a conference-room setting to potential publishers and sponsors.

This, in turn, will encourage the development of games with a virtue of quality, instead of games designed as tech demos to impress the drooling masses.

This could be a very good thing for the game industry.

BALL_SAC
July 31st, 2006, 01:24
This does suck some major balls..... but you never know, this could just be a temporarly statment. In the future, Im sure there will be video game expo that will be planned, in replacement for E3. Im sure there in the future will be the return of E3, but for now, dont cry.

SSaxdude
July 31st, 2006, 01:25
I hope one year E3 is in Chicago because I'm not flying across the country to see it. If they changed where E3 was at, they could get more people because there would be people going that usually wouldn't go.

Emeriastone
July 31st, 2006, 01:39
tear

Voltron
July 31st, 2006, 01:43
Well it would be nice if it was scaled down with all the nonsense removed.

Junior
July 31st, 2006, 02:14
Guys, this is a good thing.

More focus on the games. More focus on other publishers. Less is more. The coming is E3 will be the best to date, with much less fat!

Cooe14
July 31st, 2006, 04:23
I hope one year E3 is in Chicago because I'm not flying across the country to see it. If they changed where E3 was at, they could get more people because there would be people going that usually wouldn't go.You wouldn't be able to get in anyway. You HAVE to have a job in the video game industry (which I know you don't) AND tickets cost over $400.

dlowings
July 31st, 2006, 05:19
This is typical, I knew when they banned the hard body big titty chicks E3 was OVER. The got some conservitive group in there trying to run it, and they were offended in 05. In 06 they banned the chicks, and in 07 as we see is no MORE. Why whould the media give it any undo attention, if the show didnt have any Bling Bling. Lets give it up for the E3 directors of 05 for killing the show !!!!

shadowprophet
July 31st, 2006, 06:48
Its sad such a huge part of our culture is being nixed.
But regular people wernt allowed to go to e3 anyway, You had to be a VIp just to get in :(

mcvader
July 31st, 2006, 08:14
dosent really matter to me, sure i would have liked to have gone to it one day but it would have been impossible anyway.

the only point of it for your average gamer was the news and previews and i don't see that stopping.
I would like to see a smaller gaming expo that opens in several countrys at once thats open to the general public, if the big companys wanna show off and get publicity for their games wouldnt it be a good idea to actually show them to gamers instead of just V.I.P's

BluDie
July 31st, 2006, 08:20
Does E3 even matter anymore?
Since we have "the interweb" we all know what they are going to be showing. And even if they show something new, most people have made up their minds already, Nintendo people buy Nintendo and hate Sony. Sony people buy Sony and hate X Box, X Box people buy X Boxes and have no one but themselves to hate for buying the system.

shadowprophet
July 31st, 2006, 08:41
X Box, X Box people buy X Boxes and have no one but themselves to hate for buying the system. funniest shit I've heard all day :p

juliusceasar
July 31st, 2006, 08:55
I don't believe it. For me E3 was always the focal point of the gaming year. Although there was rarely anything new at the show it was always the best showcase for upcoming games as developers would put together their polished previews.

Video_freak
July 31st, 2006, 09:20
:(

I always wanted to go...
me too :(

BALL_SAC
July 31st, 2006, 10:19
Cmon guys, there will be something in replacement of E3. The Tokyo Game Show can not be the only expo to review new stuff. We need something here in America, and the gaming community will not tolerate this little problem.

Something new will come out, it has to.

And if you ask me, I think E3 will be here for 2007 and the years after that. How will everyone represent their products if there only showing crap in Japan. E3 is to popular anyways to be lost in time.

geise69
July 31st, 2006, 13:38
Since when was E3 VIP only and $400 dollars to get in? I went as a student in 1998 to the one in Atlanta for 50 bucks I believe it was. It was just for the show floor. Now if I wanted to get into conferences that is where the extra money is, but you can still get in for a very reasonable price. I guess not anymore though. :(

MikeDX
July 31st, 2006, 17:46
Isn't Doug Lowenstein that ******* who wanted to kill emulation a few years back?

JKKDARK
July 31st, 2006, 18:13
I can't believe :(

Briggzy11
July 31st, 2006, 22:06
I have been several E3's and loved every one. Personally its ok because theres many more gaming events dotted across the world just as good as E3 and longer running too.