PDA

View Full Version : wondering how good is ds...

flast
July 31st, 2006, 05:13
i was just wondering how exactly does the DS/DS lite homebrew scene stack up to the psp scene. I have a 1.5 psp an im loving it but the psp doesnt really have good commerical games (PS2/ps1 ports...yawn). Anyways, getting back to the point, i was wondering is the Ds lite worth getting for its homebrew/ commerical game libary, or should i just wait and pick up one of the next gen consoles. By the way what equipment do you guys reconmend for running hombrew on the ds lite, lol my budgets only about 300 usd for the equipment...will this be enough or do i need more money:confused:

rokobungi
July 31st, 2006, 05:41
the homebrew is not anywhere near what you have for the psp (no neo geo or snes at good speeds)though there are some ok actual homebrew games. (how many people really just want emulators not real homebrew games anyway?)

$200+-$10 would buy everything you need for backups/homebrew on the ds except a memory card.

a supercard + passme2 costs around $70 or so (maybe a little less for the CF or more?? for the new supercard lite) though with a passme2 all you'd probably want to do is install flashme with it.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 31st, 2006, 06:05
It's not what you got for PSP, as Roko said, but it's still cool.

Some SnezziDS games run fine.

Plus, you can ALSO run all GBA homebrew/emus, so that's a plus.

flast
July 31st, 2006, 07:04
alright seems like i will get a ds lite for commerical game÷gba and anygood homebrew. do you guys have any good reconmenations for ds games. also i was wondering how does wifi ds games work.

Quay Cur
July 31st, 2006, 07:52
WiFi setup is real easy. Keep in mind that one of this system's demographics is little kids and their parents that may or may not know anything about their computer. I'd explain here, but really, it's very easy so long as you know how your network is set up (only thing is you can't use WPA security, you'll have to switch to WEP). As far as actually playing on it, everything is very self explanitory, just skim through the directions first.

Commercial game discussion (I would also add Kirby: Canvas Curse and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time to the list): http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29513

Edit: and there's a ton of stuff about to be released. The ones I'm looking at are Starfox Command, FFIII, Children of Mana, Magical Starsign, Cooking Mama (I'm sure someone on here could debate that one :)), Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Squeak Squad, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and Yoshi's Island 2. And probably about 80 other ones I'm forgetting. Ugh, so much money.

I haven't actually run any homebrew of any sort yet, but there is this short thread: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29441

And like Hunter said, you've got everything GBA to take in to account, whether it's homebrew or game backups. And depending on what kind of flash cartridge you get you've got the option to run all sort of other roms (FC/NES, GB, GBC, SMS, GG, and SNES, though SNES isn't that great right now). Also, when getting your flash cartridge, most people on here will say to stick with an M3, G6 (same company as M3), or Supercard. There are also Lite versions available of them, or will be soon.

If you're looking for more just poke around the main DS page (http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/) or just wait for someone to post more here.

flast
July 31st, 2006, 23:35
just letting u guys know i got my ds lite today with a copy of metriod prime: hunters, so far so good. dont have anything bad to say about it, its pretty close to perfect:D

dkjr83
August 1st, 2006, 00:36
hey Flast, sounds like you've already gotten the ds so this is a moot point, but I'm into psp homebrew and I just recently got into the ds scene.

Of course the psp has more in the way of homebrew, emulation etc, but it all depends on what your'e looking for.

Personally, I've found that I can run most of what I want homebrew and emu wise on my DS, and my psp is pretty much used for commercial games (yes I actually like some of the commercial psp games), and media; video, music, etc.

All in all I'd say the DS is an easier system to work with once you've gotten the equipment, and you don't have to deal with annoying firmware updates that threaten to ruin everything.

If they ever add anything decent in a new firmware update for the psp I'll have no problem updating and using my DS for my homebrew and emu needs. After all, it can only get better.

flast
August 1st, 2006, 01:58
dkjr83 i havent tried the homebrew stuff yet for the ds lite but for the most part i will probably use my psp for most of my homebrew needs+ commerical games (yes i too like some of them), mean while i will use the ds for mostly commerical games and some cool hombrew apps that appear on the scene:D

dkjr83
August 1st, 2006, 02:27
dkjr83 i havent tried the homebrew stuff yet for the ds lite but for the most part i will probably use my psp for most of my homebrew needs+ commerical games (yes i too like some of them), mean while i will use the ds for mostly commerical games and some cool hombrew apps that appear on the scene:D

Nothing like the best of both worlds =]

MrBananaMan
August 3rd, 2006, 01:49

ok well stop buying commercial games when you can put roms on the ds flash cards.