PDA

View Full Version : AAAGH!! EMULATORS!!

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 13:44
please! i need some very good emulators and info for the following systems- i'm not a noob to emulation- just that i dont have ANY CDs to waste and every site has very weak or no info on the emus like "an emulator for the gbc" and no screenshots or instructions so here are the systems:

GB/GBC
Genesis
GG
WS
CPS1/2

and that's it. thanks :D

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 13:48
GBC, I prefer boob even thou most say its not the best
Genesis I prefer GenPlus or other
GG I forgot what the name is but we do have a perfect one with nice menus and full features
WS mines well forget about it Ian gave up on it
CPS1 mines well forget it
CPS2 hasnt been really worked on yet.

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 13:50
wow that was quick.. thanks

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 13:50
so thats' 2/6 (big disapointment :'()

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 14:19
Well 3 out of 6 if you count other.
GenPlus will soon be extremly good. Give it one more release and it will be so close to fullspeed with sound and saving it will be the only choice.

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 14:22
alright, i will.. thanks

quzar
August 2nd, 2004, 15:10
The wonderswan emu is ok. its 4/6. CPS-1/2 are still pending.

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 17:56
It would of been ok if someone would of added saving and the new sound core thats in oswan.

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 18:12
What aout NGP an NG

Darksaviour69
August 2nd, 2004, 18:19
there is only one, its old and runs about 80%-90%...if i remember right

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 18:35
Has no sound nor saving and isnt fullscreen.

Chanka
August 2nd, 2004, 18:48
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ok, and what about snes

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 19:01
DreamSnes is pretty nice but its not fullspeed. Its good enough for some games but expect about 70% with sound and saving.

SuperFamicast isnt as fast yet but I think it will be but not soon as Sch is learning some very much needed skill plus he has so many things to do.

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 01:35
By the end of there year expect either a new CPS-1 or NGP emulator. Depending on how much more i have learned both =P. There was a CPS-1 emulator out there that Ian Micheal made out of MAME, but it was slow and buggy so he pulled it.

Eric
August 3rd, 2004, 06:37
Sorry whats NGP and also to talk about DreamSnes that was a sh4 asm written emu and the emulator would be fullspeed on some games or again some games with sound fullspeed example:Battle Toads. *But Hola is most defenitly right about the emu as some games are pretty slow and again he is right with scherzo's new emu SuperFamicast the games are fullspeed without sound and have frameskip. *Games with sound on are slow,buggy and sound isn't sync. *Thats the info i can give you from the 1st version but i have no clue on the 2nd.

Eric

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 07:37
Second version of Sfamicast only has synced sound and a little bit of a speed up. Dream Snes is still faster at the moment.

curt_grymala
August 3rd, 2004, 07:37
@Eric - NGP = NeoGeoPocket

You can try Boob for GB/GBC, but I prefer Gnuboy
For GameGear, I suggest SMSPlus (will also play SMS games)
For Genesis, Preview 3 of BlackAura's GenPlus is the only way to go.
SNES - I would suggest putting DreamSNES and SuperFamicast v2 on the same disc, and making your own decision about it.
There isn't really a CPS2 emu, and probably won't be (many of the roms are too large to fit in the DC's memory.
There is a good MAME emu that supports over 700 different roms, called the WowPack (I suggest putting Xmas edition and version Z on the same disc, as there were a few games that were removed from version Z when Xmas edition was done, but Xmas edition is slightly better for other games).
For Wonderswan - I think there is only one, and I've never used it, but it's called OSWANDC.
And, even though you didn't ask, NesterDC is the best emu for NES (although, if you're going to use SBInducer to put them on the disc, you should probably go with Nester v6 instead of v7.1)

Make sure you check out http://www.sesonsite.com/Ten-321/DCStuff/Sbindv4_Tut.shtml for info on putting all of these emus on the same disc together.

Eric
August 3rd, 2004, 07:54
I do agree with GnuBoy as it i think has the same creator of NesterDC. *I dont know but with NesterDC and GnuBoy you can make your own theme. *Which i have done plenty of times and also GnuBoy is fullspeed but can be buggy and never played boobs version of GameBoy so i couldnt tell you what that ones like.

*As for OswanDC Ian Micheal the creator had told me his newer version is pretty close to full speed without sound and i am not to sure if its fullscreen and another i would recommend but i dont know the compatibility is the pretty new VMU emulator.

Eric

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 09:54
Ian didnt make OSwanDC my friend DNR(Timo Laman) did when he was off for the summer and bored.
Ian made a fullscreen version but then again DNR made a version with sound.

They're both no where near complete

There needs to pretty much be a complete report on Oswan DC as its got near perfect sound and much more speed. Still if you wanna play WSC on pc go with Wscamp the best WSC emu ever and a pure piece of art.

Chanka
August 3rd, 2004, 11:34
alright i see. curt thanks a lot, you saved me.. :D puting all those emus on 1 CD would help--sinceI really dont have any CDs to waste. I was previouslsy told that PAL roms were faster than the other ones on DreamSnes so i'm gonna try that. Thanks a lot :D ;D

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 11:41
Thats not true at all.
Pal games run at 50mhz which is slower by default
So saying a game is runing at fullpal speed still means its not full speed because pal games arent full speed.

Christuserloeser
August 5th, 2004, 01:57
Right but (at least) Nintendo & the European devvers localized the speed to match the original 60Hz speed with 50Hz output. So running DreamSNES with 60Hz on 50Hz games (with localized speed) will help. Also the not localized games do run smother than 60Hz games, but slower...

For more great emus check out http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dcemu;action=display;num=1088034562; start=2#2

Chris

Chanka
August 5th, 2004, 12:31
@ Hola I Never said it ran PAL games full speed :-/

QuasaR_CTR
August 5th, 2004, 14:22
Stupid me, but I'm still wondering, why there are no/nearly no emu running in fullspeed on a 200mhz SH4 RISC working console. Just check http://www.GP32x.com and wonder about what ppl can do with a 133mhz RISC armed handheld (which actually doesn't has a floatingpoint engine...)

quzar
August 5th, 2004, 14:38
Because these emulators don't need floating point anything at all. The GP32's processor is much more suited to emulation than the DC is. Also, there is a greater demand for GP32 emulatros since it is handheld.

Christuserloeser
August 5th, 2004, 16:20
Quzar is correct IMO.
Also try to find some people that know SH4 Assembly & have a personal interest + extended knowledge on a classical system (8Bit to 64Bit) and we'll see almost all of these systems emulated on DC. Hell, I know that C is a great language (I can't code any C or even BASIC) and you could reach almost the same with highly optimized C code too, but without some nice tweaks like the PVR2DC (GenesisPlusDC) or SHx coding we won't get too far in the near future but even without SHx the scene grew pretty much strong already, don't you think?
Beside all of that the most important thing is time, teamwork/support and respect & some patience :)

quzar
August 5th, 2004, 16:36
Oh yea, also, arm processors are really common compared to sh procs.

QuasaR_CTR
August 6th, 2004, 03:52
Yeah, I know that these ARM C-tools are much more faster than the SH4 thingies. Just wanted to point out, that it SHOULD be possible to get full speed emus of GENESIS, SNES, ATARI ST (Castaway), AMIGA 500 and GBA in the near future. I'm not long enough in this scene to tell anything about progress, but to mee, it seems, we'll see a lot in the future! (Hopefully a PCE-emu soon... I'm starving for it!)

curt_grymala
August 6th, 2004, 04:36
Yeah, I know that these ARM C-tools are much more faster than the SH4 thingies. Just wanted to point out, that it SHOULD be possible to get full speed emus of GENESIS, SNES, ATARI ST (Castaway), AMIGA 500 and GBA in the near future. I'm not long enough in this scene to tell anything about progress, but to mee, it seems, we'll see a lot in the future! (Hopefully a PCE-emu soon... I'm starving for it!)

I don't disagree that most of those are possible, but it would take a team of skilled coders to get them really optimized properly (kind of like Bleem!). Although, I have heard that the GBA emu on XBox isn't even fullspeed (apparently it actually uses a built-in frameskip of like 5 or something), so I am not sure how easy it would be to get a fullspeed GBA emu on the DC.

quzar
August 6th, 2004, 12:06
I think all of those systems except amiga are possible at fullspeed.

GBA emu all we need is someone to just run the roms onto the sound processor of the DC which is an arm with variable speed and access to more ram that although slow is probably faster than the GBA ram.

QuasaR_CTR
August 9th, 2004, 01:50
My thinking, but I still belive that it's possible to emulate a naked AMIGA500 (not the 600 or AGA or something like this...). On the GP32 there are these emus at the moment: NES (fullspeed), GameBoy (fullspeed), SNES (frameskip@4-5), Genesis (frameskip 2-3 with sound), MSX (fullspeed), PC-Engine (fullspeed!!), ATARI ST (nearly fullspeed), SMS+GameGear (fullspeed) and many others too.

quzar
August 9th, 2004, 22:42
Amiga the problem is that it is a very complex machine, having lots of chips. Running them all at any speed would be a problem.

souLLy
August 10th, 2004, 00:56
you're more likely to get a fullspeed psx/saturn/n64 emulator then an amiga one... amiga is like the holy grail of emulation.

Eric
August 10th, 2004, 06:52
Can someone post a link to a Amiga500 i am sorry pretty stupid but i dont know what Amiga500 is.

Thanks

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2004, 08:17
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=65

Nice stuff.

Hola
August 10th, 2004, 14:44
It's amazing a old system like that had a 640x480 mode.

Kamjin
August 10th, 2004, 18:55
ON the original A1000 (OCS chipset)
704x480 NTSC or 704x522 PAL @ 352x480/522 4096 colors
ON the ECS a couple years later 16384x16384 panining desktop, and up to 1440x522 screen.

Even a 2GHz machine still has trouble emulating a descent amiga setup, I find myself powering on my Amiga at least 1/week to do graphics/music work.

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2004, 19:29
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=32

I had no idea the Amiga 4000 existed. My father had an amiga 2500. that 4000 sounds like one bad mother.... for its time =D. all this talk of old systems makes me want to relive the days of the 128d.

Kamjin
August 10th, 2004, 20:26
the 4000 is still a descent computer, with a 68060/PPC in it, it still feels as fast as my 2.5Ghz machine, plus I still use it to generate reports, and I have no intention of re-buying lightwave, or Cinema4D..

Ahmmm.. the 128D... I'd put that at the best computer of all time... I need a time machine..