PDA

View Full Version : question on bleemcast

Ken34
July 7th, 2004, 23:04
i ahve seen bleemcast products for just one game, example(bllemcast for Gran turismo 2) , my question is, is there a bleemcast that can emulate a bunch of Playstation games??
or can you only get these one game kits??

guymelef
July 7th, 2004, 23:54
unfortuneatly as far as bleem goes,......sort of. but that's all I can say

but legeally there is an emulator in the works to do this but it's only had one or two releases and still needs work. but check it out at www.dcemulation.com

quzar
July 8th, 2004, 03:55
There were only 3 commercial B!DC discs and they each only emulated one game. GT2, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid. Anything else you may see is very illegal, and not very functional.

PCSXDC is the only legal PSX emulator for the Dreamcast, but its relatively slow. It has no support yet for sound, and gets a max of around 15fps even in 2d games.

The reason bleemcast is so fast is not only because each edition was tailored to one game, and because it was written in pure assembly, but it was not an emulator, but a simulator. An emulator's goal is the properly emulate the hardware within a machine to the highest degree of precision. A simulator however is only concerned with the outcome. So basically Bleemcast isnt a playstation emulator, but is just as it markets, a bootdisc that allows you to play playstation games with a Dreamcast.

vipor231
July 8th, 2004, 12:18
wow thats news to me,this whole time i thought it was an emulator... interesting

quzar
July 8th, 2004, 16:27
yea i dunno why i felt like explaining all that but yea, most people dont know that. it works almost the same, but yea.

Hola
July 9th, 2004, 13:48
Well its still a emulator just a very smart and customized emulator.
It's just that not every game uses all the parts of the playstation at a time. One of the biggest things is that most games arent using all of the cpu so therefore the cpu is normally underclocked to the maximum speed that the game will ever use. Also systems use multi parts and processors. Parts that arent used arent emulated. An example is Snes uses tons of special chips however they'res no point to emulator the chips while they're not being used such as the SFX chip.

quzar
July 9th, 2004, 16:44
Well its still a emulator just a very smart and customized emulator.
It's just that not every game uses all the parts of the playstation at a time. One of the biggest things is that most games arent using all of the cpu so therefore the cpu is normally underclocked to the maximum speed that the game will ever use. Also systems use multi parts and processors. Parts that arent used arent emulated. An example is Snes uses tons of special chips however they'res no point to emulator the chips while they're not being used such as the SFX chip.

now i dont know how accurate this is, but im near certain that Bleemcast only simulates the PSX. it interprets the files on a PS disc and has an engine to play them on the DC using the DC's hardware. More of a translator or simulator than an emulator.

Christuserloeser
July 9th, 2004, 18:44
Hm, in my using of (English) words an emulator is pretty much the same as a translator or a simulator so Bleem!cast still is an emu doesn't matter how optimized or specialized etc it is.

Take a SAT emu for DC he woul even use the SH4 etc but I'd still call it an emulator because it emulates an other machine.

quzar
July 9th, 2004, 20:51
well there is a big difference, not in its use but how it works and how it is made. an emulator actually emulates the functions of all the chips and all the hardwhere. if you call anything an emulator that does that then you would consider FreeSCI and SCUMMVM PC and SegaCD emulators which they most definetly are not, but they do simulate the end result.

Alexvrb
July 11th, 2004, 09:23
So you would say HLE-based emulators are not emulators?

quzar
July 11th, 2004, 17:32
Depends on how high level they are. If something is completely high level, then you throw it a game that was written independent of the devkit that every other game used, it would die.

Alexvrb
July 11th, 2004, 22:48
Depends on how high level they are. If something is completely high level, then you throw it a game that was written independent of the devkit that every other game used, it would die.Would and does. But is it an emulator? What I'm trying to say is that just because something is more accurately described as a simulator doesn't necessarily mean it is not an emulator.

quzar
July 12th, 2004, 00:58
When each can only simulate the machine playing one game. I think that makes it a simulator. Maybe bleemcast as a whole would not have been, but each individual disc can only play one game, so it hardly emulates a real PS =P

Eric
July 12th, 2004, 07:26
I dont know but i would like to say something i did read what you said quzar but wouldnt there be some files put on the disk that would make the dreamcast boot a psone game

souLLy
July 18th, 2004, 05:44
no. bleemcast disks will only boot the games they were designed for, you cannot modify them to do anything else.

Eric
July 18th, 2004, 07:52
yeah but that illegal one was able to use every game so was that one an emulator or is it the same as the bleem packs

Christuserloeser
July 18th, 2004, 09:31
Yeah, that's correct and Bleem!cast was designed for that but you cannot modify the Bleem!cast packs that are available and the illegal one isn't as good or as progressed as the ones you can buy at www.Lik-Sang.com etc as it won't support the VMU, the Puru Puru Pack (Rumble Pack), FMV etc Beside that it does not work with "every game" as you said...

To read more about the status of that one have a look at Skyhawks Dreamcast Knowledge Base: http://dckb.dcevo.com

The ones you can buy are just perfect. They're available for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3 and well worth their money.

Chris

vipor231
July 18th, 2004, 09:55
i used to have the gran turismo 2 one,got bored with the game and sold it..it did play well on the dreamcast though... so playstation is possible on dc..wondering if we will ever see a emulator that will play playstation discs....

Alexvrb
July 18th, 2004, 12:59
We already have one (PcsxDC), but its in a poor state right now. It really need someone with both time and talent to work on it again. It needs a from-scratch hardware GPU plugin and a CD plugin, for starters.

quzar
July 18th, 2004, 13:04
Actually PCSXDC cant play Playstation discs. As of now it can only read bins on discs (not the image burned to the disc, but the image burned as a file on the disc). This was the first thing i worked on, but realized i could get nowhere with it. I had a whole idea of how to make single game packs with it, but they would still run slow as hell, so it didnt matter =P.

Alexvrb
July 19th, 2004, 14:04
I know, that's why I said it needed a CD plugin. CD plugin = part of Pcsx that allows it to read CDs from a drive instead of just images. :P At least it uses plugins, so its very modular.