PDA

View Full Version : Obama stresses education over Xbox

wraggster
May 11th, 2010, 22:51
The current President of the United States might be a bit more tech savvy than others we've had in the past, but that doesn't mean he's in favor of spending a lot of time with your Xbox, PlayStation, or iPod -- devices he noted during a speech at Hampton University yesterday that he doesn't know how to use. He spoke to the university's graduating class about the problems presented by the Information Age, touching upon the potential distractions from education that the aforementioned devices can cause.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

He didn't further berate videogames, instead moving on to talk about issues with the media, but he did continue to harp on the importance of education. He said, "Education... can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179215

Eviltaco64
May 12th, 2010, 06:13
Video games have contributed to my knowledge. Through researching and modifying video game console hardware, I've learned a few things about computers.

Also, Mario 1 taught me that giant squid will randomly shoot off their children to stop you from succeeding.