PDA

View Full Version : Zune Originals Rant

wraggster
May 19th, 2010, 21:26
News via http://www.zunethoughts.com/news/show/98148/zune-originals-rant.html

Now that the Zune HD 64 is out, I’m ready to move up to the next generation of Zune devices. Not that there is anything at all wrong with my Zune 80. Quite the opposite really, my Zune 80 is trucking right along! But there is no denying that that beautiful OLED screen is calling my name. I’m also hoping that with Zune becoming part of the Windows Phone 7 OS, there is a chance we might see some meaningful applications released for it.

Unfortunately I can’t make the purchase for a few months. I’m out of the country right now and would have no easy way to get it. On top of that, I can’t even look at it online. International Zune fans, I fully understand your pain now. Microsoft doesn’t even let me look at the Zune Originals site from Australia. I find that ridiculous.

I was in Baltimore last week though for a few days and discovered that maybe Microsoft is hiding the Zune Originals site out of embarrassment. I wasn’t there long enough to consider a purchase but I could at least look at the options on Originals. Maybe I don’t remember very well but I could have sworn there used to be a lot more options than there are now.

Now there are about 30 artist series options, a few horrible video game options (really, they almost all suck), and the option to put the logo from your favorite MLS team on the back of your Zune. Really, Microsoft, we get MLS? I’m sure Microsoft is just trying to get whatever deals they can but sometimes less is more. A device that can be used almost only in the United States can be customized with a sport that no one cares about at all.

The color options were nice but the artwork was really just not very compelling at all. The whole Zune Originals idea is great but if the options are going to be so watered down, maybe Microsoft should just sell Zunes in different colors and do away with Originals all together.