PDA

View Full Version : RDR dev wants "emotional response"

wraggster
May 24th, 2010, 18:10
Infamous Grand Theft Auto radio DJ and regular Rockstar contributor Lazlow Jones has said he hopes the "really gritty western" atmosphere of Red Dead Redemption "evokes an emotional response" from players distinct from GTA's satire.

"I hope that for the people that do pick it up that it evokes an emotional response," he told Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"That people will feel they're part of our world and that they'll become immersed in the time period. We did so much research into everything. What the guns of the time looked like, what the clothes looked like, what the interiors in the game are like. Those interiors were all specifically researched by our people in great detail, so I hope they'll love it and that it'll put a smile on their face."

Asked how it felt to complete a five-year project like Redemption, he said: "It's an amazing high. You're also very sensitive to any criticism about it because you've worked so hard on it."

The producer - who claimed to get involved with Rockstar after he met one of the founders while out surfing - also said that he thinks the success of the last Grand Theft Auto game has made it a lot easier to create adult game content without being ripped apart by the censors.

"I think that Rockstar has pushed a lot of boundaries to be able to make the art that that we believe we should be able to make," he said.

"If you tell a gritty crime drama with violence and profanity and call it The Sopranos you're handed a load of awards to put up on the shelf. You do the same and call it a video game and you'll have certain organisations up in arms.

"I think ever since GTA IV came out and there were such rave reviews by major publications saying that this is actually art the restrictions about being politically correct have largely fallen away."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lazlow-wants-emotional-response-to-rdr