PDA

View Full Version : Wii Question: Virtual Console "backup"?

Quay Cur
August 3rd, 2006, 04:11
I'm going to do something possibly risky and talk about what may be perceived as piracy, but I'm really talking honest backups.

So, we know that the Virtual Console games can be stored on SD cards. Shouldn't you be able to transfer the files to your comp? I can't imagine that the Wii will format the SD cards so they're unusable in a computer. But maybe the games will only work on the console they're downloaded on. No, what if your console breaks and you need to get a new one. Sorry, thinking out loud, or out..um..type.

It may be too early to know, but I had to get it out of my head.

laval0rd
August 3rd, 2006, 06:04
I think theyre saved into the internal flash.

Quay Cur
August 3rd, 2006, 15:40
I had heard that too, but that's only 512MB and is also used for all your save files and such. Think about how big N64 roms are on your computer, that space might fill up fast. And again, what if you needed a new system? Eh, whatever, I'll wait until it's actually out.

rokobungi
August 4th, 2006, 06:03
I'd bet on a system similar to what xbox live does for the live arcade titles.. you can't back anything up but once you buy a game it's free to download as many times as you need to. (to that one xbox360 of course)

Quay Cur
August 4th, 2006, 06:19
^ That sounds right. I don't have an xbox so I'm not familiar with Live at all.

SLy CaT
August 4th, 2006, 06:38
but some might find that inconvenient. what if their broadband goes down and they want to play some super mario world, but couldn't =\

i think some sort of drm will be involved. something like itunes store and their authorization system.

the_eternal_dark
November 13th, 2006, 23:26
but some might find that inconvenient. what if their broadband goes down and they want to play some super mario world, but couldn't =\

i think some sort of drm will be involved. something like itunes store and their authorization system.

Quit grasping. It will be tied to your system information if you are able to back it up to prevent anyone from trading "backups" with one another. Inconvenience was given with the live arcade if your connection went down, I bet this will be the same with the Wii.

Man
November 28th, 2006, 20:48
ya there signed to your system. dont ask me how i know.

Junixx
November 28th, 2006, 22:18
Probably the same way with the DS knows the MAC address of your DS wireless card....