PDA

View Full Version : X-Arcade with DC Emulators

gavin570
June 22nd, 2004, 17:13
Hi,

I've found that the X-arcade sticks aren't recognised by any of the emulators I've tried (inc latest NesterDC & SMSPlus), even by the Inducer menu system.

They work perfectly with all the commercial dreamcast games and just act like two control pads, but on the emulators it's as if theres no controllers connected at all.

Does anyone know why, or how it could be fixed?

Thanks.

MetaFox
June 22nd, 2004, 18:43
Hi,

I've found that the X-arcade sticks aren't recognised by any of the emulators I've tried (inc latest NesterDC & SMSPlus), even by the Inducer menu system.

They work perfectly with all the commercial dreamcast games and just act like two control pads, but on the emulators it's as if theres no controllers connected at all.

Does anyone know why, or how it could be fixed?

Thanks.They probably use a weird interface with the maple bus that isn't recognized by KOS. Sega didn't release the maple information to third party peripheral makers, so they had to figure out how to communicate with the maple bus on their own.

KOS was created by reverse engineering, so the same sloppy techniques that peripheral makers unfamiliar with the workings of the Dreamcast that just happened to work with commercial games don't work without tweaking of the drivers in KOS. This problem is also shown with some third party memory cards, and some lightguns with Warmtoe's KOS 1.1.9 lightgun driver.

guymelef
June 22nd, 2004, 22:08
can we say "reverse engeneer?"?

Christuserloeser
June 23rd, 2004, 05:31
Thanx to Meta for the info, I didn't know about that.

Too bad >:( I wanted to buy me the x-arcade sticks for my DC and PC too.

They are good, aren't they?!

Chris

gavin570
June 23rd, 2004, 06:26
They are good, yes... It's maybe not as heavy and solid as I was hoping, but it's solid and heavy enough. It works great with all my dreamcast games, and on the PC.

Thanks for the detailed response to the problem, I was kind of hoping that wouldn't be the case but suspecting that it was, it seemed too much of a coincidence that none of the emulators recognised it. Now, don't laugh....

When you say tweaking the drivers, do I have to just accept that this will never work, or is there a path I can take to fix it (albeit a very difficult one :o).

Is the source available for KOS?
If so, what would be the likelyhood of this ever working?
Would I be able to then get the source for the emulators and recompile them using the tweaked KOS?

I realise these questions may seem over ambitious and crazy, I just wanted to where things stand... I'm not quite ready to admit defeat yet... there's just too much fun waiting at the end :-/.

Thanks.