PDA

View Full Version : NesterDC SE News

DCEmu_Newsposter
June 16th, 2004, 12:06
Scherzo, the author of SuperFamicast, posted interesting news about his progress with NesterDC SE:[br][br]I ripped out the frame skipping code altogether and every game that I've tested runs at full 60/60 fps. I really didn't do much to acheive this. Just changed it to use the sq_copy from KOS instead of his own implementation. Plus I'm sure the fact that I'm using a newer GCC with possibly better switches might be the cause for the speed increase. I also managed to add zip support. [br] [br]Other Nester related news: I successfully re-ported NNNesterJ to DC. However, it's dog slow. Yet compatibility is much higher than the current NesterDC; Rygar works. NesterDC has been very well optimized and this shows when running an unoptimized NNNesterJ. I'm sort of working on both now. I would like to get my new port of NNNesterJ to work at the speeds of NesterDC but there's a lot to be done. There are a lot of differences between the two source trees. I'm not sure which will eventually become a release. I might just fix the compatibility of NesterDC using NNNesterJ as a guide.

tyrell
June 16th, 2004, 12:22
I also noticed that sq_cpy() is quite efficient. It won't replace the pvr dma transfer but it's the second best solution to enhance the rendering speed.

Right now I'm busy trying to enhance the files compatibility of dcspeccyalk, by porting a library (libspectrum, thanks to Philip Kendall) to the DC environment but it requires some other specific unix sources as well (GLib, taken from GTK+). So things are progressing very slowly but I have good hope, within the following 2 months, that a correct .TAP (and maybe .TZX) support could be implemented.

In the meantime I'll release a version which will bring loading/saving of compressed memory snapshots to the VMU ! This will allow you (for example) to type basic programs and keep them on the VMu for future use. Next version will also bring a rock-stable rendering, and some reworking of the joystick buttons mappings. Also, I'll try to make a video of dcspeccyalk running, which will show the current state and features.

_tyrell_

wraggster
June 16th, 2004, 19:45
Neat work _Tyrell_ ;)

Scherzo what speed % is the nnnesterj port running at?

WHurricane16
June 17th, 2004, 04:58
snoogins...good news all around

Christuserloeser
June 17th, 2004, 06:12
Yeah! I guess that we'll some nice releases comin' :)

@Scherzo: Would a NES 6502 SH2 ASM cpu core for your NNNesterJ port help to speed up the emulation?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dcemu;action=display;num=1082494155; start=135#135

Chris

guymelef
June 17th, 2004, 06:35
I would like to say that chris and curt_grymala are always on point. (slang)