PDA

View Full Version : *EDIT* Which adapter is overall best for DS Lite?, UKer

chemical
August 4th, 2006, 17:50
*EDIT*

Ok, my question now is basically, which adapter and such should I get for DS Lite?, I want to get a 2-4gb (probably 2) card for it and I want it to be compatable with pretty much everything, All roms with saving, homebrew, apps, movies, etc. etc.

I was thinking of buying M3 adapter mini SD version, but is CF better?, I'm alittle pushed away from the CS because of its big size, and M3 Lite, I saw that and its frickin tiny! :eek: , But i'm having trouble finding anywhere in the UK selling it or even having it for pre-order, what price/compatability does it have?, Will I be able to find it in UK?

Thanks for the help :)

The Hombrew Hunter
August 4th, 2006, 18:33
DS isn't as complicated, you could say.

But, lemme see....

1. I chose an M3 CF, Passcard 3, and just a normal DS. You can go with whatever you want within media cards for the M3. CF, SD, and MiniSD exist.

2.If you get an M3 CF, Kingston sells a 1gb card.

3. Yes, it can play other roms. You can find emus for DS and run GBA emus, such as PocketNES. Try to find the PocketNES Rom Builder if you want to add rediculous cheats for a game...And then make another file without the cheats, like me.

4. Passkey is a device that needs a ds game to work, but if you get a passCARD it's a ds game size and you just plug it in the DS slot and when you boot up the DS it goes directly to the Passcard.

4.5. Just run the application after booting the flashcart with the Passcard. You can find apps and games here. GBA Development (http://www.gbadev.org/) have a lot of GBA emus, apps, and games. Check them out.

5. I don't think Moonshell compresses movies. But, DS roms run through the M3 patcher have the option of being "trimmed", making it a bit smaller.

Hope I cleared that up for you.

chemical
August 4th, 2006, 22:07
Hey thanks a bunch for your reply, it really helped, unfortunatly I have a new batch of questions :p.

1. Is the process of putting on games, video, etc. a slow one?, i.e it taking awhile to update, or could i just chuck an episode of a program on it, go off, and then another day quickly take it off and put the next episode(s) on?

2. About the GBA, do you know If I can download saves onto the flash card, it says saves work, but not much else, also, I'm unsure on the emu situtation, does the devices work as an emu themselves for DS and GBA games, or do you need to download one?

3. With back-up DS games on it, do they work like normal DS games?, If I put my backed-up DS game on it, would the touch screen work?, and would it work online?, or would I need to use the original cart/cart info?

4. I found a Sandisk 2GB Mini SD Card, which seems the biggest i've seen (apart from the MMP with 4gb HD), you think that card would be good with the M3?

Thanks for any help from you or anyone else, I really appreciate it!!! :)

metroplex2k7
August 5th, 2006, 00:51
I feel where you are coming from, I bought the MMP and discovered I couldn't do shit with it. So I dropped a post asking the people here what I should go with. Cause I want movies, and the ability to play NES and SNES games on it. It seems most people are going with M3, with G6 in a close second.

chemical
August 5th, 2006, 19:30
Yeah, I nearly made that mistake with MMP before really looking at how things work, I've edited my top post now to ask what actual adapter is best for my needs on a DS lite, seeing as I think I have a better idea of what they do now.

pokothehobo
August 5th, 2006, 20:38
i am also in the proccess of buying an adaptor... everyoen seems to say the cf has a little more compatablitly, but im going to get an m3 sd perfect and i think that eventualy compatibility will be up to compact flash.

if someone can tell me exactly what you cant do with sd that would be great.

and o ya the other thing i cant decide is whether i need a big bulky passme or a passcard

The Hombrew Hunter
August 6th, 2006, 03:41
For lite?

Wait for M3 lite or just go with cf or minisd.

So what if it sticks out?

You obessive pscycos.

CF, better compat, cheaper.
SD, smaller, faster.

Choose your weapon.

The only confirmed working cf card in m3 cf is 1 gb kingston, and a bunch of SDs work.

Go with SD, just a tiny bit of things won't work, but it's still good.

Only go for m3 lites if you're obsessive about flush liteness.

metroplex2k7
August 6th, 2006, 05:26
I give less than a crap about flushness, Would I like it? Yes, but I would much rather run NES, SNES, GBA and watch movies.

chemical
August 6th, 2006, 14:35
What is less compatable with miniSD version?

Everyone keeps saying that, but it really depends WHAT is less compatable, are we talking a couple of roms, or entire programs or what?, I'm not obsessed with size, but CF is too big for me to accept =-/, the M3 Mini would be cool but if its going to cost any more then the others then no way am i getting it.

Quay Cur
August 6th, 2006, 18:12
What is less compatable with miniSD version?

Everyone keeps saying that, but it really depends WHAT is less compatable, are we talking a couple of roms, or entire programs or what?, I'm not obsessed with size, but CF is too big for me to accept =-/, the M3 Mini would be cool but if its going to cost any more then the others then no way am i getting it.
The only CF/SD compatibility problem I know of (which certainly doesn't mean it's the only one) is with DSLinux. Not too long ago it was only CF compatible and couldn't run on any type of SD. That may have been fixed by now, though. Those people seem to not do anything else except work on that thing.