PDA

View Full Version : Porting GP32 Emus to the Dreamcast

wraggster
May 26th, 2004, 17:42
Recently we have Speccyal K ported to the Dreamcast and also GPF is also porting the GBA Emu by Chui to the DC too, is there a lot of compatibilities between the consoles?

Do you think we will see more ports like this, i refer to the excellent Opensnes9X and also the great megadrive emus on the gp32 too.

What do you think?

Ian_micheal
May 26th, 2004, 17:57
Well one of them is SDL makes it porting from the Gp32 no change. If it's SDL it just makes it harder geting rid of the GP32 Dependent code.

One that should be done and to forget about snes emulation near impossable at close to fullspeed is

The Atari ST the poor mans amiga has quiet a few better then snes games and would be possable at fullspeed. I like some one to port that i dont have the time for that porject right now.

but i can tell you fullspeed and sound is possable. With out sh4ASM

BBS
May 26th, 2004, 18:12
hm, is the structure of DC like GP32? Well, i think it is possible to port the best emulators from gp32 to dc, i hope ;)

Ian_micheal
May 26th, 2004, 19:58
Not Really compatable it's not any easyer porting a GP32 port to dc then the Source code the GP32 port was based of. You have to remember it's the some source code. using the Gp32 version does not make it easyer at all.

Take Handy Runs slower on dc then gp32. Port is the same source. Gp32 And gcc compiler of that cpu Genrate better code.

tyrell
May 28th, 2004, 16:12
The port was rather easy. 90% of the code was identical (and near 100% if I had used SDL).
The code I had to change was the rendering, input and sound code, but really, not very different.
It was a joy to port on the DC, even if possibilities are lowered. Not possible to save snapshots of dozens or hundreds of games on the VMU ... compared to the 128mb SMC card. On the other hand, there's this fab DC keyboard which opens a lot of other possibilities (but yes, the GP32 has also "his" keyboard, a mini ericson chatboard which I still have to implement in speccyalk).

_tyrell_

Styrofoam
May 28th, 2004, 18:46
One that should be done [...] is

The Atari ST the poor mans amiga has quiet a few better then snes games and would be possable at fullspeed. I like some one to port that i dont have the time for that porject right now.

but i can tell you fullspeed and sound is possable. With out sh4ASM

That would mean all the top Amiga titles would be playable .... well almost.
Sensible Soccer (no SWOS but maybe still the strongest argument if someone needs to be persuaded to port this ;) ), Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, the list goes on :)

I'd do this myself but unfortunately my coding skills are somwhere around
10 print "hello world"
20 goto 10
run ;D

Ian_micheal
May 28th, 2004, 22:22
The port was rather easy. 90% of the code was identical (and near 100% if I had used SDL).
The code I had to change was the rendering, input and sound code, but really, not very different.
It was a joy to port on the DC, even if possibilities are lowered. Not possible to save snapshots of dozens or hundreds of games on the VMU ... compared to the 128mb SMC card. On the other hand, there's this fab DC keyboard which opens a lot of other possibilities (but yes, the GP32 has also "his" keyboard, a mini ericson chatboard which I still have to implement in speccyalk).

_tyrell_

I love you to give a try to the Atari st Gp32 port. It would be great having it on dc. It has a lot more GP32 dependent bits i dont understand.

wraggster
May 28th, 2004, 22:31
has the source been released to castaway?

its a fantastic emu, the coder behind it is really good.

Ian_micheal
May 28th, 2004, 22:42
Yeah i have the source to it. Would be do-able at good speed the machine had no custom hardware to speak of. It's as close as we get to the amiga.

LyonHrt
May 28th, 2004, 23:26
Why do people always refer to the st as the poor mans amiga, thats consoleist that is ;D
All the major games had releases on st, and were pretty nice too.

/me still has his atari st :)

BBS
May 29th, 2004, 01:53
i heard that the dc was run with a part of windows ce? Is that right? Could it be easier to port an emu from win32 to dc?

Ian_micheal
May 29th, 2004, 12:40
Why do people always refer to the st as the poor mans amiga, thats consoleist that is *;D
All the major games had releases on st, and were pretty nice too.

/me still has his atari st :)

Well for one there computers not consoles. Amiga is better in every way that could be why?.

ST games were not as good. Colours were washed out the sound was poor compared tot he stereo sound of the amiga. Workbench was better. Amiga was used in making titles for tv shows and movies. Was all round more powerfull and better.

Amiga is impossable to emulate at even half speed with out sound on the dreamcast. It's 4 times more complex then a snes.

DMA modes are very complex. Dreamcast does not have the power to emulate the Amiga.

Atari ST is far less power full and has no Complex modes like the amiga. And can run emulated ona lowly system like the GP32 fullspeed and sound.