PDA

View Full Version : GBA Emu for Dreamcast Testing News

DCEmu_Newsposter
May 22nd, 2004, 14:42
I finally got my house sorted and my Dreamcast set up, so what better time than to test out the latest alpha that GPF (Troy Davis) let me have. Here are my findings:[br][br] Booted up nicely, menus need to be for the Dreamcast version as they still say GP32 Version and im not sure if the adjustable settings actually work. Also using a keyboard is hard work so i cant wait to get my hands on a joypad version, with that in mind i got a selection of new homebrew roms and heres my findings:[br][br][b]Dangerous XmasGame loaded fine, a tad slow but still playable, sounds a bit off but graphically fine although keyboard controls make it not easy for me.[br][br][b]Jetpack 2Game loaded fine, sound was very low, the game was playable but a tad slow although graphically no problems.[br][br][b]Wonkie GuySeems to load the intro screens very slow, graphically looks good but plays around 50% of normal speed so to me not playable.[br][br][b]CarbieVery slow and has graphical errors too, it does play but so slow its not worth trying.[br][br][b]GunnerLoaded fine, not 100% graphics but decent enough, slow game but still playable as it is.[br][br][b]Kitchen AcademySlowish again, graphics ok but still playable, a tas different the game is though :P[br][br][b]Arkanoid Advance[br]Slow but quite playable, graphics ok.[br][br]There you have some mini reviews of whats happening in the latest beta, if i could suggest anything it would be to get some of the very talented graphics people in the Dreamcast scene to make nice menus, obviously a name for the emu is needed and optimisations to make the emu faster although some GBA homebrew games are playable. Joy pad support is needed, if its better/faster without sound i could live with that.[br][br]I wish GPF the best of luck with this emulator.

wraggster
May 22nd, 2004, 14:58
its nice to play some handheld homebrew on the dreamcast and the gba scene has lots of quality homebrew :)

GPF
May 22nd, 2004, 16:49
Great review. I will be adding in joystick support soon. The gp32 source code, has it removed. So I will have to look through the Visual Boy Advance code, and see if I can figure out how to put it back in.

Troy

wraggster
May 22nd, 2004, 17:46
wow cant wait to see that, have you decieded a name for the emu yet :)

wraggster
May 22nd, 2004, 20:47
any luck with getting the best optimisations out of those that are in the menu, or do they not work on the Dreamcast anyway?

GPF
May 22nd, 2004, 20:58
frame skip and throttle work, cpu speed needs to be removed from the menu.

When you are in a game you can press TAB, BACKSPACE and ENTER and the same time and it will bring you back to the menu where you can try different options just press ALT to return to the game.

I still need to updated the rom loading so that the roms can be in multiple directories and also allow for switching to a new cd, right now the first cd it reads is all you see.

I will need some graphics for the splash screen etc, also I haven't decided what to name it yet.

Troy

wraggster
May 22nd, 2004, 21:10
want me to do a newspost request for splash screens and im sure zoidy will do too
?

WaCk0
May 22nd, 2004, 23:21
I can do your splash screen. I just need to know the emu name ;)

wraggster
May 23rd, 2004, 00:50
great that saves me some newsposting, it would be cool to have dvd/cd covers early for any release ;)

WaCk0
May 23rd, 2004, 01:12
Hey Troy, does this have a deadline? What about "DC-GBA" site? Please tell me when you'll need this so I can start to do this things. ;D

GPF
May 23rd, 2004, 03:18
Not yet, When I get joystick control implemented, I'll have a better idea of the time frame. One of these days Ill choose a name and let you know.

Thanks,
Troy