PDA

View Full Version : "Fake" Memory Sticks on eBay?

AuroEdge
August 6th, 2006, 12:35
I've been spying some $80 4GB Pro Duo Memory Sticks on eBay and have been wondering if they're fake or not? I've heard rumors about fake memory cards and $80 for 4GB is a steal. Nearly all of the sticks I've found listed are by only two different sellers with private feedback records. So what gives?

SSaxdude
August 6th, 2006, 16:07
I have a fake 2 gb and it works fine. I think the so called fakes are more like generic memory sticks.

Man
August 6th, 2006, 17:28
I also have a "fake" memory card i got from ebau, it was 60$ with shipping from japan, it works fine, i say go for it.

Video_freak
August 6th, 2006, 17:52
ya, fakes work fine. you just have to be careful with them :)

PyRoUK
August 6th, 2006, 18:32
What do you mean wen you say fake? If you just mean "Non-Sony" then its a great deal (so long as its Sandisk, Lexmark, Fuji etc...)

Video_freak
August 6th, 2006, 19:10
no, fake memory sticks are made by individuals that arent official companys (ie asian copyers) theyre illegal too.

mlcurly16
August 7th, 2006, 23:58
no, fake memory sticks are made by individuals that arent official companys (ie asian copyers) theyre illegal too.

Yes... Asia seems to be copying MANY game-related devices. Anyone hear about the NDS Supercard thing?

AuroEdge
August 9th, 2006, 00:20
I suppose the correct nomenclature might not be fake but rather cheap ass knock offs. From what I've been able to gather these are in fact memory sticks that do function. However, you may or may not get the capacity the card is thought to be e.g. a 2GB 'fake' card is in reality 256MB. Your PSP or even computer may see it as a 2GB but the chip inside may physically only be able to hold 256MB because erm it's really a 256MB chip inside a 2GB case. Also, I've heard that after a few thousand read/writes or so that these knock offs no longer work anymore. I don't know if to believe this or not because these chips are not mechanical in nature whatsoever like a CD-ROM drive is etc. If they really do fail that easily they must be made of some really crappy material.

Basil Zero
August 9th, 2006, 01:06
its easy to break, i'll rather buy one from the store.

l1nknp4rk00
August 10th, 2006, 00:29
hey video_freak, what do you mean when you say to be careful with them?

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 00:30
they break easily. you have to make sure you don't drop them, or have sudden temperature changes, etc. its just more fragile...

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:47
oh, and also it can short circuit easy, and droping also makes it not work at all

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 02:08
ya that too :o