PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Lag In CPS 2!

Legionnare
August 6th, 2006, 16:38
What i've found is aslong as the rom size + cache size doesn't exceed about 20MEG the game should run fine.

For example SF Alpha 2 is 13MEG + 6MEGS of cache and it runs fine. However if you try Alpha 3 23MEG + 10 MEG of cache size it lags alot. The reason for this is anything over 20MEGS and it has to keep loading from the mem stick. If only they was a way to compress Marvel Vs Capcom and its cache to less that 20MEG instead of 33MEG. Anybody got any ideas?

cylonwar
August 6th, 2006, 17:35
Just a wild idea, it might not work, but you've got nothing to lose: do a file in a file compression with the cache file. Compress all the file(s) inside the new cache file and re-zip the cache file. It might work. The reason is I noticed that when you have zipped file with many files inside and those files are zipped as well the overall file size will read as much less.(Ex.660mb as opposed to 2.2gb) Hope that helps. I will try it myself.:rolleyes:

Legionnare
August 6th, 2006, 18:01
I just had a look at what you suggested its going to be very time consuming, is they a quick way of doing it?

jwilds73
August 7th, 2006, 01:49
If this emulator was made to support 7zip format that might help compress roms further. Not sure how much more it compresses compared to standard zip format

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 02:27
The ROM size in the compressed form doesn't matter much as the whole ROM needs to be uncompressed in memory (RAM) to run.