PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to play Nintendo 64 games on the DS?

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 02:42
Any emulators or convertors that will let me play Nintendo64 games if I have a Max Media Player, that anyone knows about?

I would love to get Banjo-Kazooie on my DS...

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 02:53
This question pops up every once in a while, and sadly, the answer is no. In order to properly emulate the N64 the DS would need to be more powerful than it, which it isn't. The only possibility I have thought of is to have a program that could patch and convert the N64 roms and somehow downsize everything so it's only outputting graphics for a DS-sized screen and not a TV, but I doubt that's even possible. Though I have no programming knowledge, so maybe it is.

Banjo-Kazooie was a fantastic game.

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 03:00
hm........... i thought it was just as powerful as the 64. it had all them extras with mario64 and the graphics for mario kart are much better.

i thought the ds was equal to the n64.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 03:04
The thing is for hardware to emulate another system it generally has to be 5 times as powerful.

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 03:08
Those game were designed just for DS. You also have to take in to account that the devs who made those have a lot more experience now working in 3D and making things look good without putting a load on the processor. The graphics in FFIII put pretty much everything on N64 to shame.

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 03:09
The thing is for hardware to emulate another system it generally has to be 5 times as powerful.
Exactly, that's partially why we have problems doing SNES emulation, too.

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 03:13
wow i never realized that it took that much power.

we need to send nintendo a petition featuring a list of all the great remakes we want! if they want to flood the market with all these remakes, they need to do the BEST games!

or maybe we should send it to rare... i wouldnt mind having a bit of conker's bad fur day on my ds. the wireless would blow people away..

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 03:16
Now that you mention it, I'm surprised Rare, or any for that matter, hasn't done a Banjo-Kazooie game for DS yet. Remake or sequel.

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 03:18
no, i don't want a sequel, i want to relive the glory days!

grunty's revenge blows....

Kramer
August 7th, 2006, 03:19
the psp clocked at 333mhz is struglling to emulate n64 and the ds only has something like 88mhz to work with so there isnt much chance you could have a playable n64 emulator

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 03:22
that, i also read on this site!

i heard people trying to play mario tennis on their psp's but having a lot of problems with it...

Knux896
August 7th, 2006, 04:25
Now that you mention it, I'm surprised Rare, or any for that matter, hasn't done a Banjo-Kazooie game for DS yet. Remake or sequel.
I'm pretty sure I remember a few years back that Microsoft bought Nintendo's shares of Rare and that is why there haven't been any remakes or re-releases from Rare. That is why Perfect Dark: Zero and Conker: Live and Reloaded were released on Microsoft Consoles. The only games Rare worked on that were recently re-released on a Nintendo console were the Donkey Kong Country games and they were only able to do that because Donkey Kong is a Nintendo character. I'm pretty sure Rare has the rights to Banjo-Kazooie so I don't think there is much chance of a DS version.

Sir Spiffy
August 7th, 2006, 15:52
well, they made grunty's revenge after microsoft took rare and it was on gba

battleroyalex
August 7th, 2006, 16:33
no I am 100% it will never be possible to emulate on the ds. It is possible to port (remake) the game for ds. The companies would have an easier time doing this since they have the sourcecode.

If we ever see an n64 emulator rise up for ds it will never get past mario64 at 2-4fps

CampaKaze
August 8th, 2006, 00:47
Then Nintendo should profit themselves, and make DS/DSL owners buy Wiis and remake all the N64 games and make them smaller, they would make more money off of it, cus the Wii could hold more by itself w/o upgrade, and we could download it, but the thing is we would have to buy, tho it would be cheap and fast and not piracy either

chemical
August 8th, 2006, 16:10
I'd LOVE to see them remake many N64 games, as many as possible for DS, because the graphics are always cool seeing as its on DS and you remember the days of playing those games on a TV, and I think most people, like myself would buy almost every N64 game they owned in the past for there DS.

Nintendo could make alot of money without all the work.

Oh and also, about Banjo Kazooie, I would advise you if you havent already, to try the GBA version of Banjo on your DS if your craving a DS version, seeing as the graphics are probably one of the best ever for GBA, they surpass many DS games, really they do, it has one of those final fantasy type 3d views, its a amazing game for GBA and if it was just released on DS I would still think the graphics were good, you should give that a go.

Hateshinai
August 9th, 2006, 08:36
More N64 conversions would be great (Zelda: Ocarina of Time...) but what I would kill for is an FF3-type remake of Chrono Trigger.

Qerppsmmnx
August 9th, 2006, 10:44
That would be weird, a 3d Chrono Trigger. I'd prefer a 2D version, with extras! MORE AND MORE EXTRA'S!!!!

MasterChafed
August 9th, 2006, 10:52
I'm pretty sure I remember a few years back that Microsoft bought Nintendo's shares of Rare and that is why there haven't been any remakes or re-releases from Rare. That is why Perfect Dark: Zero and Conker: Live and Reloaded were released on Microsoft Consoles. The only games Rare worked on that were recently re-released on a Nintendo console were the Donkey Kong Country games and they were only able to do that because Donkey Kong is a Nintendo character. I'm pretty sure Rare has the rights to Banjo-Kazooie so I don't think there is much chance of a DS version.

i was reading thru this and was about to post this exact same thing. But its true, Rare is microsofts now.