PDA

View Full Version : DreamSnes 0.9.8 Issues

dreamer1uk
August 7th, 2006, 04:33
Hi all,

I have this EMU for my DC and i have some issues with certain ROMs. I have 140 ROMs on 1 CD. The issue is that games like Sensible Soccer, Contra 3, Final Fight, Mortal Combat have a very low frame per second rate. I have tried all i know to fix this such as burning the EMU at different speeds, testing the EMU with 1 game per cd and always getting the same low frames per second results. I have also tried to change the EMU options but to no luck :(

How can i speed things up?

Thanks in advance!

Xiaopang
August 7th, 2006, 08:57
first of all, the emulation is not perfect, so some games won't run at full speed or even at a playable speed at all, regardless what you do (doom for example).

all you can do is: turn on cpu optimizations and turn off sound. turning off transparency can give a major speed boost (if the game heavily relies on that) but renders some games unplayable. you have to test that.

get european roms. read the sticky in this forum to know why

if you have a sound option in the game then set it to mono (even if your emulator already runs in mono mode). that seems to take some impact from the emulator. running a game in mono generally already speeds things up by the way

the number of roms on a disk doesn't affect performance.

i'm gonna test the games you mentioned to see how playable i can get them

Xiaopang
August 7th, 2006, 09:39
ok, i tested your games (all european versions)

sensible soccer: at first i had about 80-90% (mono), but still it was very playable. i turned off transparency, because the game doesn't need any. taadaa a 100% (don't turn on stereo or it will fall back to 85%)

contra 3: don't have it for dreamsnes

final fight: mono sound and turned off transparency got me 81-85%. a little bit choppy, but still very playable. turn off sound and you'll get a 100%

mortal kombat: turning off transparency and setting sound to mono got me a sure 80%. the game was incredibly smooth and good to play at this speed. turning sound off got me 95-100%

so you see that it's not hard to get most of the games playable. i guess you are using ntsc roms. would be interesting to know what speed you get with the above settings.

dreamer1uk
August 8th, 2006, 00:58
Hi,

Thanks for the replies :) Another question is, how do i know when version my ROMs are from PAL to NTSC? I live in the USA.

No matter what i change on the settings with the dreamsnes EMU for Sensible Soccer, i cant get it running like you say you have yours. The only time it runs silky smooth is when its showing the replays of the goals.

Xiaopang
August 8th, 2006, 01:06
easy, just use goodsnes to rename all your roms correctly. it identifies the roms for you.if you don't get it to run the way i wrote then most likely you'll have ntsc roms or even bad/altered/flawed dumps

Runefox
August 8th, 2006, 01:08
If you have ZSNES or SNES9x on your computer, you can load it up in those; They should say NTSC or PAL on startup, along with some other technical information. Another indicator is that many ROM's today are saved with names ending with (U), (E), (J), and so on; These are country indicators. (U) denotes USA, (E) denotes Europe, and (J) Japan. Another indicator you can use is to turn on the FPS display for the emulator (all emulators should have an FPS display). If it's x/60, it's USA or Japanese. If it's x/50, it's European/PAL.

dreamer1uk
August 8th, 2006, 01:08
Hi :)

Do i need to Goole for the application of 'goodsnes'?

Xiaopang
August 8th, 2006, 01:17
nah...i did this for you lol

http://allgoodthings.us/mambo/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/GoodSNES_204.zip

the endings runefox talked about are in fact goodsnes syntax.

btw, enable private messages. then i can give you a lift there ;)

dreamer1uk
August 8th, 2006, 01:26
Hehe, ty :)

They need to make a 'goodsnes' for Dummies as alot of this stuff is way over my head. :p
As for PM's, i thought i would receive them automatically a si see no option to turn them on/off /shurg :confused:

Xiaopang
August 8th, 2006, 01:31
hmm, strange. i wasn't able to send you one. ok then let's do it here. using goodnses is really easy:

create a new document (txt) and rename it *.bat (replace the asterisk with a name of your choice). then right-click on it and choose edit. in the texteditor enter the following: goodsnes rename

close the file and save it. move goodsnes.exe as well as the bat to the directory where the roms are. double-click on the bat and goodsnes goes to work

if you need more help you can reach me on icq: 1 6 2 1 2 1 9 6 1

dreamer1uk
August 8th, 2006, 01:54
Hmmm still no, luck with this goodsnes. I just did exactly what you said-

1) made a text file and saved it roms.bat
2) moved the goodsnes.exe and the roms.bat to my dreamsnes/rom folder
3) dbl clicked on goodnses
4) cmd window opens up and when i try to type in cmd's, the window closes.

I think i might have to d/l ICQ lol

Xiaopang
August 8th, 2006, 02:09
hmm, you don't have to type anything in the cmd-window. thats why you made the batch-file.

check the batch for typos. it has to be:

goodsnes rename

you can add the command "pause" to the batch, so the window won't close and may be shows you an error message. the batch would read the following:

goodsnes rename
pause

you don't have to get icq. i'm also reachable on aim and msn. just drop me a message and tell me your username. ok, another try before i go to bed, just in case the above stuff failed again:

this time we'll do it manually. make sure your roms are in a directory that is no subdirectory, for example c:\roms

make sure it has less than eight letters. move goodsnes.exe and this time goodsnes.db as well as goodinfo.cfg to the roms directory.

go to start -> run

type "cmd" and press ok

this should open the command window again. now go to the roms directory. type in the name of the drive where the roms directory is. if it's c, then type C:

then type cd.. several times until the prompt reads c:\>

now type: cd roms (or whatever the name of your directory is

finally type: goodsnes.exe rename