PDA

View Full Version : PSP's Case Cracking Problem. Be Aware.

omidontop
August 7th, 2006, 16:04
Seems like Sony has made a terrible designing mistake! Some parts of the case, seem to have no supporting parts underneath them so they might crack easily. as you can see, my PSP has got 4 of them, and I'm just hoping they won't go any further :( Is anyone else having this problem??? Well I hope you guys be more careful as to not wreck your PSPs. For those of you wondering, I treat my PSP very well and I've never dropped it or crashed it anywhere.

http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/1_88b.jpg
http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/2_70S.jpg
http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/3_ZKR.jpg

Regards, Omid

Malksta
August 7th, 2006, 16:39
My psp has some cracks near the power switch and some other places

BL4Z3D247
August 7th, 2006, 17:43
yeh mine has a little one right near the bottom screw like ur last pic, same spot ant everything...but it's cuz i dropped it, my bro dropped his when he fell down the stairs and his has a few battle scars but no cracks or broken screen, so i think $ony did a good job at making the PSP pretty durable, more durable than DS atleast

Apoklepz
August 7th, 2006, 17:53
Yeah, that one on the bottom screw looks familiar... Maybe you, Blazed247 and me are the only lucky ones with PSP triplets...lol

Another clear reason why Sony messed up on the design phase.

BrooksyX
August 7th, 2006, 18:11
yeah my screen has a crack right in the same place as your first picture.

V3N0M
August 7th, 2006, 18:56
Odd my psp is fine. And i carry it with me everywhere.

tiranofice
August 7th, 2006, 19:21
i have one too near the screw at the bottom

Accordion
August 7th, 2006, 20:49
i have one at the bottom, i think it is a scratch though... my psp has suffered many drunken nights out, so it could be my fault...

Shadowblind
August 7th, 2006, 21:37
I have no cracks on mine, dispite repeated dropping. But it is scratched to heck and back.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 21:48
Good thing we can replace the faceplates.

ptr.exe
August 8th, 2006, 18:20
yeah my screen has a crack right in the same place as your first picture.
Same. Exact same place as your first picture. Cheap ass sony ¬_¬

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 18:24
Odd my psp is fine. And i carry it with me everywhere.
mine too :)

Basil Zero
August 8th, 2006, 21:39
well, the only problem i've seen on my psp is the fact that the wireless switch(for ad-hoc gameplay) is kinda lose, and whenever i press the left d-pad, i hear a "tick" sound, but that was like the first 4 months, other than that, there's been no other problem with my 1st release psp.

Accordion
August 8th, 2006, 22:02
my start select buttons are a bit creaky...
and the d-pad is wobbly.
my third psp had a wobbly wi fi switch, and my 2nd had a deep scratch right across the middle.
im currently on my fourth after doing exchanges as part of the warranty for having over 20 stuck pixels on the first.
it may just be possible that the psp has no quality assurance at all...

Apoklepz
August 8th, 2006, 22:08
Now that you mention it Accordian, I recall my PSP having a very wobbly wi-fi switch and a super stiff power switch....weird, cause I power it on and off a trillion times omre than I use the wi-fi(rarely)

Basil Zero
August 8th, 2006, 22:09
wow, i still have my first psp, no stuck pixels, or any other major defects

edit: i barely use my wi-fi now, that i am mostly playing homebrew than my original game.

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 22:10
Now that you mention it Accordian, I recall my PSP having a very wobbly wi-fi switch and a super stiff power switch....weird, cause I power it on and off a trillion times omre than I use the wi-fi(rarely)
for me its the opposite: wobly power switch, and stiff wifi switch

omidontop
August 8th, 2006, 22:10
Is Sony supplying any original faceplates?? I don't think the available ones are as good as your original faceplate, or are they?

Apoklepz
August 8th, 2006, 22:14
You know what I'd really like to see SONY or someone else provide...UMD disc cases...God forbid those things break open in no time, like a prostitutes legs...I jave four UMD games that are a total mess...and I even have a storage box for them. I remember one of them snapped when I opened the PSP's UMD hatch...Jesus! The material Is really crappy...Anyone agree?

Somebody should come up with a more durable outside case for UMDs, that you could probably snap on and off, too.

Can somebody point me to such a product if it already exists? And I'm not talking about UMD storage cases, I'm talking about that little white slim case were the UMD comes inside of. The thing that surrounds the disk, that says UMD on it.

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 22:15
indeed, the UMD cases are flimsy and easily breakable. i think its the most breakable part on the psp

Accordion
August 8th, 2006, 22:19
mine all seem fine, i get some cases from GAME for free(i know someone...), which are just slightly bigger than the actual umd.
kept my discs safe

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 22:21
mine arent broken, they just have a bunch of little scratches on them. i just hope i dont have little scratches on the actual UMD :o

Apoklepz
August 8th, 2006, 22:27
My UMD discs are fine, I've even taken them out of the case and cleaned them.... it's the cases that have gone out of wack. I've had to carefully crazy glue them back in place.

Where can I get these spare cases Accordian?

Kramer
August 8th, 2006, 22:42
damn i got the crack under the psp next too the screw.
oh well its not that noticable.

Broadus
August 9th, 2006, 06:26
I had a small crack that was on both the black covering, and the actual screen. The crack used to be so tiny that I hardly cared less that it was there, but now it's expanded all the way to the top of the casing and goes down on the screen, because it gets bigger every day.
I'd say it's about three centimeters long, now. I only have the one crack, which I think I actually got from taking it out of and putting it in that neoprene sleeve.
I don't care if the screen has a tiny crack, because it's hardly noticeable, but how can I stop a crack from expanding? I think I'll need to get it to a place that can repair it if I can't stop it from cracking even more in the same spot.

Accordion
August 9th, 2006, 14:19
erm Apoklepz:
there may be some confusion...
i was talking about storage cases for whole UMDs in which to keep them safe, you should be able to get these from any game shop.
i think you were talking about the actual UMD disc housing which is part of the UMD, i dont know where to get those from.

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 15:41
thats what i thought you were saying, but i wasnt sure accordian boy. thanks for clearing it up :)

Apoklepz
August 9th, 2006, 17:03
Oh...alrighty then...thanks.
I guess nobody's thought about actually distributing more durable UMD housing, then. I think it would be a good idea...those crappy things do tend to loosen up and break open after some time.

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 17:04
$ony could make even more money off of that. you should write to them :)

Apoklepz
August 9th, 2006, 17:09
Oh hell no...They're already filthy rich pigs....
I'm talking about making them on my own, and selling them...even better huh?
I'll use the one off the demo disc which I still have in near mint condition and make a mold out of it. Then I'll just put some melted plastic in it and see how it comes out.

It might take a while to get a perfect shape since they're so tiny, but I'm sure I could pull it off.
Better yet, they'll be in different colors...but I'll probably start off with black.

Gotta get to work....There might be some money in this.

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 17:15
ya i was being sarcastic :)

Broadus
August 9th, 2006, 23:35
What, nobody? Nothing?

acn010
August 9th, 2006, 23:40
i got a crack between my action buttons

Broadus
August 9th, 2006, 23:42
These common crack problems are nasty.

acn010
August 9th, 2006, 23:43
yeah, very buggy for me

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 00:03
that sux. maybe you can get a replacement case? :confused:

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:05
yeah, i got orange and blue.
very funky colors

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 00:25
they havent cracked yet i hope ;)

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:26
nope, i didn't even touched them since i bought them

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 00:28
lol. when r u putting them on your psp?

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:31
i think im gonna put them on special occasions such as video game parties that i usually my friends make them

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 00:32
thats good. i hope the installation is easy...:)

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:42
it is, i already took it apart for the modchip.

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 02:09
nice. tell us if the mod chip is easy to install when you do install it :)

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 02:24
I think all these cracks are appearing due to the psp heating up and cooling down constantly.

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 02:25
I dunno, I've never seen any cracks on my PSP :confused:

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 02:42
I haven't either but from the sheer number of people who have it's got me a little concerned.Obviously sony chose too brittle of a plastic.They might be trying to milk a little extra service money out of psp users.

DPyro
August 10th, 2006, 03:04
I don't have any cracks on my case, but then again I changed my faceplate :p

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 05:49
nice. tell us if the mod chip is easy to install when you do install it :)
sadly, nope.
it took me almost 5 hours to install it, but im glad that im finished with it, and i was very scared about droping my aweat into the system.:( :( :(
but iat least i made i, too much burning and tearing the psp apart.

psp is a pain in the ass when it come to install things in it

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 06:19
i'm glad it works though :) it was all worth it wasnt it ;)

omidontop
August 10th, 2006, 07:11
erm Apoklepz:
there may be some confusion...
i was talking about storage cases for whole UMDs in which to keep them safe, you should be able to get these from any game shop.
i think you were talking about the actual UMD disc housing which is part of the UMD, i dont know where to get those from.

Dude, didn't you get the free UMD Case the yourpsp.com supplies??

HellsPlumber
August 10th, 2006, 15:14
yeh mine has a little one right near the bottom screw like ur last pic, same spot ant everything

LOL. Mine has one there too:D . The analog stick rubs the case too :(

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 22:35
i'm glad it works though :) it was all worth it wasnt it ;)
yes it was:D :D

despoteuodia
August 11th, 2006, 00:33
Seems like Sony has made a terrible designing mistake! Some parts of the case, seem to have no supporting parts underneath them so they might crack easily. as you can see, my PSP has got 4 of them, and I'm just hoping they won't go any further :( Is anyone else having this problem??? Well I hope you guys be more careful as to not wreck your PSPs. For those of you wondering, I treat my PSP very well and I've never dropped it or crashed it anywhere.

http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/1_88b.jpg
http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/2_70S.jpg
http://www.mahvareh.net/downloads/3_ZKR.jpg

Regards, Omid
once while it was in its case (not the sleeve, not the steel one, but some case from walmart) i dropped it out of my car (parked) a 2-3 foot drop and it is still unscathed no cracks or scratches. good case i guess?

Accordion
August 11th, 2006, 14:51
i noticed last night (i was sober for a change...) that the right hand side silver part is wobbly, and there is a very small notch of the faceplate missing on the same side

Madonion
August 11th, 2006, 18:07
Mine is fine :)