PDA

View Full Version : MS: We'll do Kinect first-person shooters 'someday'

wraggster
June 24th, 2010, 12:24
Microsoft's shown interest in getting core, FPS titles to Kinect "someday".

That's what Albert Penello, senior director of global marketing for Xbox 360 wants to see anyway, even if it isn't the focus 'right now'.

"The hardest part is really trying to make people understand the same group of people who built the stuff that they love now are working on this stuff, and it's not about alienating, and it's not about abandoning; it's about expanding," Penello told Industry Gamers.

"I don't think we have any interest in sort of getting away from controllers and getting away from the core games that got us here. This box was a response, you know, from us to the people that have followed us along and really asked for features for the console. Kinect is about getting other people in the house."

"Core gamers will say to me, 'What is Kinect going to do for me?' Well, you probably have a girlfriend, or you have a sister, or a brother, or a niece, or a nephew, or a wife, or a mom, or an aunt who you've probably wanted to have experience, you know, the kind of stuff that you enjoy."

"The first thing that comes to mind is the casual types of games, but I'd like to see what a first person shooter would be on Kinect someday," Penello continued.

"I don't want to see Halo band-aided into Kinect, because Halo is a controller game, and I think that would be not what we're trying to achieve. I want to see what a new type of experience would be. And you're just seeing the first generation of stuff. So, this is really about doing an 'and' thing for us. Getting new types of genres, new types of customers, and then continuing to serve the core with great games."

So maybe Kinect will see core FPS titles one day, but they won't necessarily be like ones we've ever seen before.

"At no point have we ever said, 'I don't have any interest in having core games come out on Kinect,'" Penello continued.

"We wanted to come out and make a statement that said, 'We want to try and do something different than the Wii, different than wands and hands, something that's magical, that takes away the abstraction, and I want a bunch of new types of games created.'"

"And oh, by the way," Penello added. "We're doing some really cool stuff with dash navigation and the people who experience it really get a kick out of the sort of virtual reality/Minority Report style. And we just launched the thing."

So does that ease any of your concerns, readers?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=253215?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS