PDA

View Full Version : Buying New PSP - Plan to Homebrew (Firmware? Help)

anime_fanatic21
August 7th, 2006, 22:13
I finally am going to buy a PSP. I wanted one before they came out but I decided not to buy one right away cuz the games dont interest me that much. Well I heard about the emulation and homebrew capabilities and with the recent $50 prich drop I am gonna buy one! The problem is, I don't want to get stuck with a firmware that doesn't allow for Homebrew/Emulation. I found this site http://www.psphacks.net/content/view/437/2/ that tells you how to know what firmware your psp is. Do you think they still sell psps with the 1.5 firmware in stores or you think they are all updated. I was gonna get mine at Best Buy but I think you gotta ask for them to get you one out of the glass (or maybe that is just wal*mart) and I dont think they will let me check them all, lol. Where is a good place to buy one or order one from the net?

*On a side note = is there anything else I need to purchase besides the psp and the memory stick in order to homebrew? Does it come with a USB connector for your PC?

shadow-evillink
August 7th, 2006, 22:24
I finally am going to buy a PSP. I wanted one before they came out but I decided not to buy one right away cuz the games dont interest me that much. Well I heard about the emulation and homebrew capabilities and with the recent $50 prich drop I am gonna buy one! The problem is, I don't want to get stuck with a firmware that doesn't allow for Homebrew/Emulation. I found this site http://www.psphacks.net/content/view/437/2/ that tells you how to know what firmware your psp is. Do you think they still sell psps with the 1.5 firmware in stores or you think they are all updated. I was gonna get mine at Best Buy but I think you gotta ask for them to get you one out of the glass (or maybe that is just wal*mart) and I dont think they will let me check them all, lol. Where is a good place to buy one or order one from the net?

*On a side note = is there anything else I need to purchase besides the psp and the memory stick in order to homebrew? Does it come with a USB connector for your PC?
You are gonna have to buy a usb cable, and I believe that all the PSP's out there are 2.** and up but you should go to gamestop or eb games and look for one there. As long as you get a PSP 2.00, 2.50, or 2.60 and it is not a TA-082 you can downgrade it to a 1.5fm. Hope that helps.

anime_fanatic21
August 7th, 2006, 22:36
Yes you helped me! I have a few questions yet though...

* Will it say "TA-082" or other on the box? If so, where?

* The site I posted really only shows you how to tell if it is 1.5 - 2.01 with the "letter" thing... Does anyone know which letter goes with 2.50 and 2.60 so I make sure to get one of those?

I also read this:

If you are 2.01, 2.50 or 2.60, YOU ARE SCREWED (for now). You CANNOT play homebrew. (for the time being.) You CANNOT downgrade. (for the time being.) However they're making progress with the GTA Exploit, so soon you will be able to play homebrew.

anyways, you said 2.50 and 2.60 are ok? So those ones work? I dont want to have to buy GTA in order for me to downgrade or have to buy a mod chip...

Malksta
August 7th, 2006, 23:14
You MUST have GTA in order to downgrade with a psp which is not TA-082.

That's all the help i can give =.=

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:20
2.6 can be downdated as long as it is not factory issued I believe. To identify a ta-o82 you have to look in the umd drive at the little piece of motherboard visible,there should be no numbers on there.As for GTA rent it,just be sure to check the version numbers on the disk.You might be better off buying a used one as most game store employees will let you check it out first,I've had several friends find compatible psp's with this method.

Prasoc
August 7th, 2006, 23:27
I downgraded my factory 2.6, worked perfectly.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:30
Really that is awesome to know.I had just read warnings about factory 2.6.I wonder if there is a patched factory 2.6 floating around?

anime_fanatic21
August 7th, 2006, 23:35
2.6 can be downdated as long as it is not factory issued I believe. To identify a ta-o82 you have to look in the umd drive at the little piece of motherboard visible,there should be no numbers on there.As for GTA rent it,just be sure to check the version numbers on the disk.You might be better off buying a used one as most game store employees will let you check it out first,I've had several friends find compatible psp's with this method.

Can you see the UMD Drive where "ta-o82" might be through the box? Is there a little open space there? Or do you just have to buy one and hope it isn't "ta-o82"?

What do you mean by "just be sure to check the version numbers on the disk"?

So basically what I need to downgrade/homebrew is a USB cable and Grand Theft Auto? Is that it? Grand Theft Auto is needed to downgrade all versions, is that correct?

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:46
No there is no way to see inside the umd drive through the box,That's why it's probably better to go to a game store.I've actually convinced them to let me inspect brand new psp's by pulling them out of the box,also you will have better luck finding a used one for homebrew.Sony changed their number system on the outside of the box.Maybe somebody has a list.

GTA has two versions one is unpatched and the other is not compatible just google it,I don't know the version number scheme.

That is correct unless you find a 2.0 or below,that makes everything easier no GTA needed.I personally have never had to deal with this,I've always lucked out and found 2.0 or below;)

anime_fanatic21
August 7th, 2006, 23:59
^ Thank you so much, you have cleared it all up for me basically. Thanks everyone else to for helping me out. I have my eye on one on eBay but if it gets too pricey I will probably just look at used ones in the gaming store although I am a "new" freak - can't really stand used, even if in "good condition", lol. I really was hoping to get one from Best Buy bevause I have a $40 gift card to there!

NoQuarter
August 8th, 2006, 00:04
Good luck on your quest for 1.5. if you need anymore help we're here:)If you do get a new one be sure to buy the extended warranty,it's saved my butt a couple of times,Thanx EB!

anime_fanatic21
August 8th, 2006, 02:22
^ Alright, I will remember to do so.

Here is the PSP I am thinking of getting: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SONY-PSP-version-1-5-Black-plus-free-bonus_W0QQitemZ130013345626QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6205 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does the auction look good?

NoQuarter
August 8th, 2006, 03:50
Good choice hope it works out for you.I don't know squat about ebay though I've never used it.

anime_fanatic21
August 8th, 2006, 23:14
^ I think it looks good, or thought it did but take a look at this...

RETURN POLICY:
All sales are final, we are not responiable for dead/bright pixel problem. Item must be returned in its full original packaging. If item is opened, 20% of restocking fee will be charged. Shipping and insurance are not refundable. Item damage during transfer are not refundable if package is not insuranced, you must file an insurance claim process for refund from the insurance company. Please give us a chance to address your concern before leaving a derogatory feedback.

Am I worrying too much?

anime_fanatic21
August 9th, 2006, 20:23
^ I lost that bid but I am watching 2 more...

LOOK AT THIS/QUESTION

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-PSP-Value-Pack-Version-1-5-with-Spider-Man-2_W0QQitemZ140015265593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ62054QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It says it is version 1.5 value pack with Spider-Man 2, but it shows the box and the picture is of the code and it says

PSP-1001 K
120 V

Letter K means above version 2.0, doesn't it??

Please help because this person has 99.9% Feedback which is really good and I don't think he would lie.

Airdevil
August 9th, 2006, 22:56

LOOK AT THIS/QUESTION

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-PSP-Value-Pack-Version-1-5-with-Spider-Man-2_W0QQitemZ140015265593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ62054QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It says it is version 1.5 value pack with Spider-Man 2, but it shows the box and the picture is of the code and it says

PSP-1001 K
120 V

Please help because this person has 99.9% Feedback which is really good and I don't think he would lie.

Well it says this in the description:

"Serial number might be different from the picture due to multiple copies."

there you go :)

anime_fanatic21
August 10th, 2006, 00:14
Well it says this in the description:

"Serial number might be different from the picture due to multiple copies."

there you go :)

LOL, thanks.

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:20

LOOK AT THIS/QUESTION

PSP-1001 K
120 V

the first psp box with the spidey man movie it will not show any letters on the side of the PSP-1001 thingy
so make sure its right

azureblue
August 10th, 2006, 04:31
Also dont forget to purchase a psp memory stick, a 2gb should be more than suffient. It costs ~$45, but well worth it. You are certainly welcome to invest in a larger memory stick, however. A 4gb will run you somewhere in the $60-70 range. The 2gb is the bare minimum. Good luck. :)

anime_fanatic21
August 11th, 2006, 05:02
What is a good/decent price for a new 1.5 firmware PSP? I had one on ebay for about 275 but am I better off buying a used one or maybe just downgrading from a new one?

Edit: reply to above...

Where can I find one for that price. Best buy 2GB is around $90!

Cooe14
August 11th, 2006, 05:30
What is a good/decent price for a new 1.5 firmware PSP? I had one on ebay for about 275 but am I better off buying a used one or maybe just downgrading from a new one?

Edit: reply to above...

Where can I find one for that price. Best buy 2GB is around $90!
Try this- http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SONY_PSP_PlayStation_Portable_Value_Pack_ __Version1_52_USA_Version.html . It is new and version 1.52 which can be upgraded to 2.00 and downgraded to 1.50 quite painlessly. It also seems to come with a game (NHL 05). This is a trustable site that many people (including me) have bought stuff off before.

anime_fanatic21
August 11th, 2006, 05:54
Try this- http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SONY_PSP_PlayStation_Portable_Value_Pack_ __Version1_52_USA_Version.html . It is new and version 1.52 which can be upgraded to 2.00 and downgraded to 1.50 quite painlessly. It also seems to come with a game (NHL 05). This is a trustable site that many people (including me) have bought stuff off before.

Thanks. I was thinking of getting it but I searched at sites I knew to see if they had it cheaper and I found this at Play-asia...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-49-en-70-2r7.html

It seems it is the Japanese 1.0 firmware and comes with a free USB cable! Good deal - only $221-$230 with shipping! Can I update firmware to 1.5 only instead of the latest firmware?

* It says japanese version from 2004 but I don't know why the price would be dropped to $200 instead of it being the original $250...

EDIT: I e-mailed them and they said the firmware is the latest... darn.

Cooe14
August 11th, 2006, 06:20
Thanks. I was thinking of getting it but I searched at sites I knew to see if they had it cheaper and I found this at Play-asia...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-49-en-70-2r7.html

It seems it is the Japanese 1.0 firmware and comes with a free USB cable! Good deal - only $221-$230 with shipping! Can I update firmware to 1.5 only instead of the latest firmware?

* It says japanese version from 2004 but I don't know why the price would be dropped to $200 instead of it being the original $250... The reason for the $200 price is that this comes with just the PSP (which retails for $200) vs. the PSP Value Pack which is in the one that I posted (retail $250) which came with a bunch of extra stuff like a 32mb memory stick, ear phones, case. One thing I would worry about with a Japanese psp is Region coding.