PDA

View Full Version : Wii to tango with Latin America in December, price is high

wraggster
August 8th, 2006, 17:25
During a recent games convention in São Paulo, Brazil , a representative of Lamatel (Nintendo's Latin American distributor) announced that Wii will be released in Brazil during the first week of December to the tune of 1,400–1,500 Brazilian reais (roughly $640–$690). Ouch! That smarts more than a hot Brazilian wax! Not that we ... I mean ... it was just a team bonding experience ... it's not like ... oh, never mind.

But seriously, at that rate, who's buying? Just import. Of course, you may want to add some games to that overseas order. So far, only Twilight Princess is confirmed for launch in Brazil.

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 17:29
Why would they raise prices for Latin America, where most people are poorer than in America or Japan. $690? You have got to be kidding. No-one would buy a Wii for over the price of a PS3.

tisti
August 9th, 2006, 00:02
The PS3 will be way over 1000$...

Why? The Sims 2 consts 200$ there...

sko, TheLogicalGamer
August 9th, 2006, 16:45
That's a ridiculously high price!

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 16:47
Why are games so expensive in a country that's on average poorer than the US, Europe, Asia....???!!! :eek:

fg-54
August 9th, 2006, 17:09
it was expected (i'm from Colombia) a ps1 is worth about two hundred thousand pesos wich is about $100 (dollars)
a ps2 is worth a million pesons wich is about $500 dollars.

fg-54
August 9th, 2006, 17:11
oh, and Video_freak, you are right, latin america IS a verry poor coountry, but you would be surprized on how many people have a ps2, xbox, or gc.(they also have n64, ps1 nes and snes.) i use to have a snes when i was in colombia.

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 17:13
if they're poor, why do they buy the video games at such high prices. they should rebel and get the video game companies to lower prices :)

felipao18
August 9th, 2006, 21:24
One reason for high latin american prices (well i can say thsi for brasil) is that there is a huge tax on foreign products so usually all imported products especially electronics such as video game consoles carry much higher prices.