PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - What's The Most Reliable Game Hardware Ever?

wraggster
July 5th, 2010, 00:34
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/images/logo.gif

Hi all we are all mostly gaming fans so heres DCEmus way of asking you the DCEmu visitors questions concering the Gaming scene.

Todays Question is What's The Most Reliable Game Hardware Ever?

Give your Answer via Comments.

More DCEmu asks in the Off Topic Forum (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=46)

phsychokill
July 5th, 2010, 00:43
my NES is still running so I can't fault it on reliability.

DCergo
July 5th, 2010, 03:32
My Atari 2600 still works just fine...

Have Pong as well, but I haven't checked it in many years. Pretty sure it still works.

mike_jmg
July 5th, 2010, 04:10
Nintendo Lunchbox... I mean Nintendo Gamecube, the thing even has a handle to carry it around wherever you want to go

symbal
July 5th, 2010, 04:11
23 years, 15-20 drops, filled and covered with various food and drink and nothing wrong but a floppy flap, yes that's right it's the immortal NES.

Eviltaco64
July 5th, 2010, 06:52
I'd say that the 2600, NES2, SNES, and the Genesis are all very reliable consoles.

paul3100
July 5th, 2010, 13:26
It's got to be the sega megadrive/genesis ! Had loads of them in my time to sell/fix usually only a bad power connector at the back from bad use.

You can do pretty much anything to a genesis (model 1) and it will still run :-)

please no one else say a Nes cause we all know most of them suffer from the blinking red light cause the game cart doesn't make contact... Hapens to pretty much them all sooner or later

Paul3100

JDvorak
July 5th, 2010, 15:54
Yea you still have to blow in the cartidge of the NES to get them to run. My pick would be my Intelivision it still runs great, even the speach pack still works. And as mentioned the Atari 2600 is still going strong!

irishwhip
July 5th, 2010, 16:33
i have a snes, atari lynx and an amstrad cpc464 that still work.
i think anything made before 94/95 can be classed as reliable.
Since then, reliability seemed to go downhill amongst electronics in general (the saturn is an exception, as mine is still going strong)

HI-Saturn
July 5th, 2010, 18:32
For me it's my 2600,Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and 1st gen PS2 all of which have and continue to work flawlessly.

symbal
July 5th, 2010, 18:41
If i'm going on CD consoles it has to be Dreamcast because weak lasers count out the Playstations, and with handhelds apart from the screen cracking the original Gameboy is almost indestructible.

WhizzBang
July 5th, 2010, 21:25
I am surprised to hear people say Dreamcast. I have had problems with lasers and controller ports in recent years and have seen much about these on the web so they are not so rare problems.

I think the original Gameboy mono was pretty indestructible.

Eviltaco64
July 5th, 2010, 22:52
I'm currently on my fourth Dreamcast because the lasers continually die out. I've also had a controller port blow out on me once.

The original front-loading NES was also pretty unreliable because the connector pins would get dirty and misaligned. With some q-tips, rubbing alcohol, and a screwdriver, however, you can have it in working order in no time. :)

JDvorak
July 6th, 2010, 03:19
Yes but the problem with the controller ports not working can be fixed by shorting out a capacitor. Only thing is after doing that the light gun, steering wheel, fishing controller, etc. quite working. So you can only use the regular controllers, but it works. Lastly you can't do 4 players any more because 4 controllers draw too much power and the Dreamcast shorts out and shuts off. But you can still do 3 players. Had to do this with my 2 white dreamcasts, but never had to on my black sports one. As far as the laser goes I have never had a problem with any of them and my first one was bought brand new on launch day 1999.

Eviltaco64
July 6th, 2010, 05:21
Yes but the problem with the controller ports not working can be fixed by shorting out a capacitor. Only thing is after doing that the light gun, steering wheel, fishing controller, etc. quite working. So you can only use the regular controllers, but it works. Lastly you can't do 4 players any more because 4 controllers draw too much power and the Dreamcast shorts out and shuts off. But you can still do 3 players. Had to do this with my 2 white dreamcasts, but never had to on my black sports one. As far as the laser goes I have never had a problem with any of them and my first one was bought brand new on launch day 1999.

Yeah, I know that it's an easily fixable problem. I twisted the F1 resistor on my 2nd/3rd Dreamcast (since the 3rd one came with no controller port) and it still works fine, but it's an unnecessary problem.

As for your laser, nice! I hope my Sega Sports Dreamcast doesn't fail on me now. :(

jayety
July 6th, 2010, 12:29
All my cartrdige based consoles still work (2600, Lynx, Gameboy, NES, SNES, SMS, Megadrive).
As for CD Based, i've gone through 3 PSX's 2 Xbox's and 2 XBox 360's. So i'd say any console that doesn't have moving parts inside is reliable. With memory prices getting cheaper and cheaper (4GB for $10) Bring back cartridge format. At least they last well after their warranty date.

symbal
July 8th, 2010, 13:42
Yeah but a 4.7gb dvd costs pennies to make so optical disks won't be going anywhere for at least the next decade.

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2010, 21:22
Yeah but a 4.7gb dvd costs pennies to make so optical disks won't be going anywhere for at least the next decade.

True, but to be fair, the cost of solid-state and flash media has gone far down in price from where it was in the 90s.