PDA

View Full Version : MUST SEE! Reduce Your CPS-2 Game File Size By 50%+

Legionnare
August 9th, 2006, 20:15
Using this method Marvel Vs Capcom will go from 23MEGS for the ROM file to 8MEGS!!!

In your ROM folder delete the files numbered 13-20 after you have made the cache file. These are the files you need for cache but nothing else. If you load any rom you can see it load all the files before 13-20 then it loads the cache. You don't need these files it doesn't even attempt to load them. They are the GFX files that are cached anyway, which load out of the cache folder. All other game see a huge saving in space. Try it out and you will see. :D

donne
August 10th, 2006, 01:08
Intresting.. I might try it.. but wait.. Why are you saying.. "Must See" and "you will see" is that because you can only "see" the screen and not "play" the game ? :D

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 01:10
hmmm...........

Baboon
August 10th, 2006, 08:41
So does this method work? ...does it affect the game at all (less stuttering)?

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 09:06
Intresting i will look into this and report back if it works.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 09:47
The reason i think this theory won't work: The reason behind this is because of the cps2 console "Real life one" always check the roms before loading them and if one file is missing from the rom or is even 1 Kb off the actual size of the full rom, it wont load. And since this emu emulates cps2 it takes on those characteristics. The only way to fix that would be for nj to completely rewrite the cps2 code and take out those rom checks. But its not worth the few Mb you save by completely rewriting the cps2 code. But there are backdoors or ways around that problem if you will. As for ways to save space i think when nj makes the emu more effecent. There will be things you can do here and there to save a little of that precous space in the future. Unless someone finds another way. Hopefully someone proves me wroung and figures a out a way, because i would love to save some space off of these roms.

ACID
August 10th, 2006, 09:49
This works what it does is the cache is used to devide the effort of the rom sprites for example so it didides them so all you really have to do is delet from the actuall rom the files that the cache names inside also works for cps1 and neogeo

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 09:55
This works what it does is the cache is used to devide the effort of the rom sprites for example so it didides them so all you really have to do is delet from the actuall rom the files that the cache names inside also works for cps1 and neogeo

Well i'm glade it works. But how exactly did you get it to work i took the files not used out of marvel vs capcom. And it did not work. So if you can explain a little more on how you got it to work? BTW all the information i stated was just that of what i learned today, cps2 is one of the only consoles i'm not too fimilar with.

tsurumaru
August 10th, 2006, 10:26
Well i'm glade it works. But how exactly did you get it to work i took the files not used out of marvel vs capcom. And i did not work. So if you can explain a little more on how you got it to work? BTW all the information i stated was just that of what i learned today, cps2 is one of the only consoles i'm not too fimilar with.

Hey Jman,

Just to let you know you can find out more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPS-2

The CPS2 was an arcade board not a console therefore thats probably why you havent heard of it. It forms part of the MAME emulator. :)

Regards.

Baboon
August 10th, 2006, 10:51

Does this method make much of a difference though when in-game?

...and is it still reading from the memory card every time you do a special move for the first time (making it a bit choppy and slugish)??

Or is this purely for saving space???

donne
August 10th, 2006, 11:07
As figured.. It didn't work for me.. But I loved the way NJ warned me, thought.. Perhaps that's what Legionnare meant with "Must see.."

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:13
Well it would be removing file that are un-used so it wouldn't effect the game play. But anyways thank you tsurumaru for the info. I've been currentaly learning about the cps2, so i can have a better understanding of it. That way i'll be able to help people with problems so far every problem i've ran into cuncerning the emu i've fixed or answered. i was not as familar with cps2 earler today and have a way better understanding of it now thanx to a couple buddys of mine and reasearch of cource lol. Funny i ran into a game machine that i was not to familar with. I did know it was an arcade machine as well but thought it might have been a home console to because i know many of the games have been remade for other home consoles. But anyways thanx for the info.

ACID
August 10th, 2006, 15:52
Does this method make much of a difference though when in-game?

...and is it still reading from the memory card every time you do a special move for the first time (making it a bit choppy and slugish)??

Or is this purely for saving space???

The games play the exact same way as without removing any files the difference is the files are less then half of what they where.
For the people that cant get it to work you have to make the cache file first , then from the Roms folder remove the files with the numbers 13 and higher. It works great when i first did this i lost almost 250mb of extra memory i was using. If you need any help let me know.:cool:

Napalm-Death
August 10th, 2006, 16:18
It works the same for me as well. =D

Baboon
August 10th, 2006, 16:33
Nice tip.

Thanks for the info. :)

Legionnare
August 10th, 2006, 23:11
Either way it works i have 15 roms now that i've done this trick on and they all work. My ROM folder went down from 300+ MEG to about 150MEG. The only thing i would say is Super Puzzle fighters doesn't work because you don't need cache in that game, and Progear can still be done, but the files are labeled differently. Load it up a few times write down what files don't load, before it loads the cache and delete them.

About the stuttering... Well it still happens on Marvel Vs Capcom. I don't know why? It must be something to do with the intensity of the graphics on that game or something?

Its up to you guys it works. If you want your CPS-2 ROMS to take up half the space do it, if you don't well don't bother. I think its an excellent find, personally.

kando
August 11th, 2006, 00:10
AWSOME TRICK!!!

get the FULL file, run the CONVERTER and get the FULL CACHE, copy both to your memory card, and then EDIT the ROM ZIP file (not the cache) on your memory card and erase all files .13 and up....saves a TON of memory!

great trick!

Napalm-Death
August 11th, 2006, 01:06
Thanks for rephrasing it!

kando
August 11th, 2006, 01:13
its the least i can do to repay this awsome community =)

donne
August 11th, 2006, 04:39
Still can't get it work.. Maybe my rom incomplete ? Please check :

ROM in Zip before delete : 23528 KB
Cached-ROM : 10168 KB
ROM in Zip after deleting file 13 up : 8672 KB

Have I the right ROM ? I got it from a relatively well-known site..

kando
August 11th, 2006, 04:52
you most likely have a bad romset...looks like a marvel vs series rom, and those are my approx sizes as well...remember, .13, .14......20, .21...anything .13 and up...but if still, u got bad romset somewhere.

someone recommended downloading romcenter and that was able to help me figure out what i was missing for another one of my games....maybe it can help you as well.

pretty easy to figure out as well.

ACID
August 11th, 2006, 04:58
It also works with with Neo geo. Just delet all the .c01 and so bin.

parsifal968
August 11th, 2006, 18:58
Nice trick... i do a test when have the time...
also...
i think you can get the graphical rom name that are cached and must be removed from the file rominfo.dat ;)

donne
August 13th, 2006, 10:03
Good news.. I've tried it with other roms and they're working.. Except EURO Roms.. What's that mean ??

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 10:23
Good news.. I've tried it with other roms and they're working.. Except EURO Roms.. What's that mean ??
It works for me just take out only the .13 and higher and do so after you have created the cache file

Tooplex
August 13th, 2006, 15:02
Well done for copying off someone else this guy on qj updates found it out first good job dude you really can steal other peoples ideas!

jwilds73
August 13th, 2006, 15:18
Well done for copying off someone else this guy on qj updates found it out first good job dude you really can steal other peoples ideas!

I don't see him stealing anything and selling it for a profit. He may have gotten this info there and not properly credited the original poster. But his post doesn't claim that he made the discovery completely by himself either. So yes shame on him for sharing information he aquired!

donne
August 14th, 2006, 01:48
It works for me just take out only the .13 and higher and do so after you have created the cache file

Yes of course that's what I did. That's why I said it's a good news. It works for my Giga-wing, Pro-gear (even with different file-name), AliensVSPredator, SFA2.. etc.. But I still can't do it with MVSC and MVSF both are Euro so I wonder why.. Perhaps it's a bad rom.. I'm re-downloading them from another rom-site now..

parsifal968
August 14th, 2006, 11:31
ALL roms works (CPS2 & NeoGeo) look on MAME info to get correct working roms and for the EURO etc. they are clones!... well look again on MAME info to correctly MERGE this roms.
(look at my posted CPS1 and CPS2 clrmame dats).

Legionnare
August 14th, 2006, 19:01

I am MARTYB2K from PSP Updates. Im just registered in a different name here, noob! ;)

donne
August 15th, 2006, 01:11
Parsifal, would you be kind to explain what's a Clone and what about to merge it ? So the Euro won't work alone before merging eh ?

parsifal968
August 15th, 2006, 11:22
go to mameworld.net

psp828
August 15th, 2006, 19:57
what do you remove for cps1 and neogeo?

ACID
August 17th, 2006, 06:40
what do you remove for cps1 and neogeo?
Ok the easyes way to tell you is when you are using the cache on a rom the files that pop up are the ones you then will delet from the actual rom

NovaKane
September 14th, 2006, 02:36
I just tried this and my folder went from 326MB to 130MB and everything works the same. Thanks for this cool tip.

ACID
September 14th, 2006, 02:37
it is a gret tip.

NovaKane
September 14th, 2006, 16:15
I did it with the NeoGeo too and the folder went from 120+ MB to 45+ MB. Good stuff...

Mr. Shizzy
September 15th, 2006, 19:55
WOW! Really? I'm glad I noticed this thread. I'm constantly in a battle to crunch space on my memory stick! Awesome tip! Thanks!

PS - Is there any way to shrink the size of a NeoGeo CD Roms? Those thing's are huge.

Baboon
September 16th, 2006, 13:45
This tip has been very useful, thans for the advice. :)

Mr. Shizzy
September 21st, 2006, 22:33
Acidburn- I got the roms to run after "ripping them" . Turns out I was making two mistakes. First, it wont read a .rar file. After you extract the rom and delete the files you cached, you need to right click and select "add to archive". Then select .zip instead of .rar. My second mistake was I was zipping a folder with the rom parts in it. It would seem the emulator cannot read two files deep. You need to "select all" of the rom pieces and then right click and select add to archive. Originally posted by Me

I just posted this 5 mins ago in the new CPS2 thread. Hopefully this helps anybody having trouble. :) BTW, this saved me 110 mb!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D Thanks for the tip!