PDA

View Full Version : Oh Crap....

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 10:28
I insalled "HarleyG's" custom firmware tonight on my friends PSP tonight, and something seems to have gone terribly wrong....I don't think it's bricked, but when I turn it on with the wlan switch on (for 1.5)- it just goes to a black screen.:confused: It WILL NOT enter recovery mode either.:( The really strange thing is - when turned on with the wlan switch down; it boots up to DevHook firmware perfectly fine.:o At least I still can get "under the hood" of it in USB mode in DevHook. Is there anything I can do to revive this thing? What would happen if I updated it to 2.8 through DevHook? (Would it just update DevHook?):confused: Could someone plz help? Thanks in advance.:)

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 10:39
hmm.
you cant update. is the config file set up right
try having a 1.50 app set to boot upon holding a button at startup.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 10:56
hmm.
you cant update. is the config file set up right
try having a 1.50 app set to boot upon holding a button at startup.

O.K. tried it; still just a black screen.:( The 1.5 fw is making the usb auto on activate though....Man, I'm reaaly statring to get worried....:(

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:02
First try hard powering off the psp(This can be done by holding up the off switch for 10 secounds until it shuts down completely.) Then attempt to enter recovery mode (turn on the psp then put it on hold right after). If that works tell me and i can help you from there. What you should do if that doesn't work, since you can get to the psp through dev hook, Re-install all the custom firmware files. Double check and make sure there in there right. Then try it. But the problem is you messed something up and screwed up the flash thats why its not going into recovery mode or the XMB menu.
Try that. I'll try to help you the best i can. There is still a chance we can revive it. Now i need you to tell me in detail exactly what files you put where. Was the charge of your psp 100% with the charger plug in when you put the custom firmware on ? The problem with dev hook is that it can't be updated and that makes it even harder to work with, even with access to the usb.

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 11:03
hmm
i dont know how to fix it, but devhook can also emulate 1.50, you will need to put the 1.50 firmware files in the dh folder, and then change you devhook initiation file to launch 1.50 automatically.
make sure you have all the 1.50 (you can find them, but dont ask here or post links to the files) files and the 1.50 reboot, then post again and i will send you a devhook 1.50 auto boot file, so you can start up 1.50 with the wlan switch down.

it may be a little slower, but it should work

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:20
Thanks for the quick response guys. I installed my friends HarleyG, the same exact way mine is installed.
Devboot, config, & Aiomod.prx in the system folder, and the 2 custom firmware folders in the game folder. I tried a hard reboot. And even replaced all her cfw files with the ones off mine. Still the same results. Unfortunatly the power cord was plugged in; but the power was extermely low. Could that be the reason for my woes? I promised her If I couldn;t restore her PSP to it's former state, I would buy her a new one. I am a man of my word; but I wish there was some way to fix this.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:21
hmm
i dont know how to fix it, but devhook can also emulate 1.50, you will need to put the 1.50 firmware files in the dh folder, and then change you devhook initiation file to launch 1.50 automatically.
make sure you have all the 1.50 (you can find them, but dont ask here or post links to the files) files and the 1.50 reboot, then post again and i will send you a devhook 1.50 auto boot file, so you can start up 1.50 with the wlan switch down.

it may be a little slower, but it should work

Well at least you can do that. In case we can't get the psp fixed.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:23
Thanks for the quick response guys. I installed my friends HarleyG, the same exact way mine is installed.
Devboot, config, & Aiomod.prx in the system folder, and the 2 custom firmware folders in the game folder. I tried a hard reboot. And even replaced all her cfw files with the ones off mine. Still the same results. Unfortunatly the power cord was plugged in; but the power was extermely low. Could that be the reason for my woes? I promised her If I couldn;t restore her PSP to it's former state, I would buy her a new one. I am a man of my word; but I wish there was some way to fix this.

To tell you the truth that is probaly why. Its riskey to do it at 50% let alone any less. You should have charged it to 100% with the charger pluged in.

Oh and was it the newest version of harleyg's custom firmware .2?

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 11:23
there are loads of warnings about having a fully charged battery
should have been more careful

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:26

You mean loads of warning about performing it on low battery.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:30
And shizzy i may be able to help you better on AIM if you have a username. That way i can be sure i did everything in my power to try to fix it. I'm really sorry this happened to you. But i can better pin point it down to what you did wroung. From what i can see its because of performing it on a low battery. But there may have been other factors involved.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:34

I know... I guess I got too used to everything working for me. I wasn't exactly sure if it had to be fully charged to just write to flash, or to actually update the system. Looks like I learned this lesson the hard way:( ... Well at least they give you some store credit for a broken PSP.:o Any other ideas before I wave the white flag?:confused:

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:36
Well read my other posts. Answer them and i'll see what i can do to help you.

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 11:37
try what i said about devhook. atleast then the psp still has homebrew functionality.
and if you keep both init files on your computer you can swap them over when needed, to play your umds.

dont get rid of the psp, it still works!

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:37
You need help with something Jmann?

AccordianBoy: It sucks to have to trade in a "working" PSP; but my friend would be mortified if I did't make this right somehow....

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:40
try what i said about devhook. atleast then the psp still has homebrew functionality.
and if you keep both init files on your computer you can swap them over when needed, to play your umds.

dont get rid of the psp, it still works!

Ya if we can't help you fix that psp at least you can do what accordian boy said, and that way the psp would be cripled but still functional.

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 11:42
if you wont get much money for the psp, you should keep it, it can still play 2.71 umds and can run all homebrew. it just wont have the functions of the custom firmware.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:44
You need help with something Jmann?

AccordianBoy: It sucks to have to trade in a "working" PSP; but my friend would be mortified if I did't make this right somehow....

You know i'm tring to help ya with your problem, I'm not sure if your ignoreing me or you have just thrown in the towel.Well i hope you find a solution to your problem.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:48
It really would function that way. But my friend would be mortified. It's a shame.
You guys have been most kind. This is why I'm proud to call DCEMU my "home". I have been cruising the help forums on some of my free time latley too; just trying to help ppl.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:50
You know i'm tring to help ya with your problem but if your going to ignore me. Then i'll just leave and hopefully you find a solution to your problem.

I'm not ignoring you bro. I thought you said "read my old posts" - wich I assumed meant you needed help w/ something. thats all. I am VERY grateful for your help.:)

Accordion
August 10th, 2006, 11:50
just give your working one to your friend, and keep the one you cursed, at least until it can be fixed/replaced.

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 11:56
I'm not ignoring you bro. I thought you said "read my old posts" - wich I assumed meant you needed help w/ something. thats all. I am VERY grateful for your help.:)

Sorry for misunderstanding what you said. Well if you do want some more help trying to fix it. Just AIM me. Do you have an AIM username? See i have a couple of other ideas that may fix your psp. Just at this stage of the game it will be hard to do. If it is still possible. But thats if you want to try a few more things to try and get it to work. That is if you havn't thrown in the towel just yet.

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 11:57
you might wan't to take a look in that config file and post it here,I assume thats why you can boot into devhook.then alter the config file boot into IR shell or x-flash on startup like devhook was,preferably xflash to fix the problem.If you just want to run programs in the game folder use Ir shell startup at boot.before you use xflash make sure your restore 1.5 files are in the right place(xflash readme).next you have two option version spoof to 1.0 and try to boot a 1.5 update from IR shell or perform a restore all defaults with xflash:)
sorry about the caps trying to type fast
anyway just an idea

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 11:58
I can't do that. Mine is highly personalized... I guess it's just gonna cost me. Jmann -you still there? I think you misundersood me bro. I thought my responses were to both of you.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:01
you might wan't to take a look in that config file and post it here,I assume thats why you can boot into devhook.then alter the config file boot into IR shell or x-flash on startup like devhook was,preferably xflash to fix the problem.If you just want to run programs in the game folder use Ir shell startup at boot.before you use xflash make sure your restore 1.5 files are in the right place(xflash readme).next you have two option version spoof to 1.0 and try to boot a 1.5 update from IR shell or perform a restore all defaults with xflash:)
sorry about the caps trying to type fast
anyway just an idea

Hold on I'll try to upload config file.

NoQuarter
you see my post shizzy?

Mr. Shizzy
Jmann did you get my PM?

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 12:02
Dude lol you gotta read the posts before yours lol. I misunderstood you before. Just read its only 1 post above your last.

EDIT: Ok i see what you mean. Man my PC is bugging out on me the posts are all scrambled. Well i'll contact you on AIM now Seeing as i'm not going to get any sleep tonight. Too busy helping people. lol

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:05
Jmann - It's yahoo . rebeccajeremy123

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 12:05
sorry shizzy must have been posting at the same time,and jman...

hope it works:)

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:10
sorry shizzy must have been posting at the same time

Noquarter, I cant get tinypic.com to upload a text file.:(

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:11
Jmann- if you can im me. im on yahoo

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 12:12
Cut and paste it,shouldn't be too big

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:12
ok ill try- wouldn't work. Hold on ill scan it

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 12:21
I'm installing yahoo right now as i didn't have it. I'll be IM when its done.

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 12:21
if you look in your config file does it say for it to boot to devhook?I'm gonna look for the harleyg readme and see what the actual boot to command is.I use dark alex's and don't know if the config file boot command is the same.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:22
http://i2.tinypic.com/2465rfn.jpg

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:23
Sorry it's so big. Thats the config

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 12:25
edit the part that says boot on holding x to a program you have in the games folder to see if it will boot on startup when you hold x.Also when it autoboots into devhook does it auto start the emulated firmware or does it give you the devhook menu?

V3N0M
August 10th, 2006, 12:28
k sent you a PM shizzy with my username. i'm on and its up and running.

Mr. Shizzy
August 10th, 2006, 12:30
edit the part that says boot on holding x to a program you have in the games folder to see if it will boot on startup when you hold x.Also when it autoboots into devhook does it auto start the emulated firmware or does it give you the devhook menu?

ok , it didn't work. Ill be later. Jmann is gonna help me on IM. Thanks to all!!!:D

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 12:34
.Crap, WHATEVER YOU DO DON"T put # in front of devhook autoboot that's the only way your using usb mode.definitly need to try
ex: devhook = "ms0:/PSP/GAME/IRSHELL/EBOOT.PBP";
just make sure the name of the non percent folder of IRSHELL is the same as in the path of the devhook command.
you need xflash on your memstick,the reason for this is that IR shell has usb mode.since IR shell can launch devboot.pbp I'm guessing the devhook autolauncher in config can launch any eboot.pbp.if you can make it to IRSHELL then launch xflash for the version spoofing to 1.00 so you can launch 1.50 update.
or do a 2.0 update then downgrade back to 1.5
or try to remove custom firmware with xflash
just make sure you autoboot into something that has usb capability

OK I just did some experimenting and yes I think the devhook command in config can be used to launch eboot.pbp.
The reasoning behind this: I changed my autoboot command in dark alex's firmware to point to ms0:/PSP/SYSTEM/DEVBOOT.PBP and custom firmware auto launched my 2.71 firmware!

So the devhook command and autoboot command have the same function
with the exception that the devhook command activates when the wlan switch is off.

Make sure quotes and everything is in the right place I mean perfect you only get one shot since you could lose usb ability if anything is screwed up

Mr. Shizzy
August 11th, 2006, 02:05
i figured out what i did wrong. I'm just not sure if it can be fixed. I made 2 mistakes....(I found these excerpts in a FAQ)

MISTAKE 1:

"To ALL 2.5/2.6 downgraders: It apears that the dumped firmware that is used for the 2.5/2.6 downgrade can cause some trouble with the installation of Custom Firmware. I recomend that any 2.5/2.6 downgraded PSP be updated to 2.0 and then back down to 1.5 with the 2.0 -> 1.5 MPH Downgrader. This give the PSP a clean 1.5 firmware for the Custom Firmware to flash too."

I broke that rule. Then there were 2 fixes offered. but niether will work b/c i flashed over the custom firmware w/o removing it first.Here was the other excerpt:

Recovery of a PSP

Flashing your PSP always comes with a certain risk, whether is be a font/gameboot/backround or even the initial custom firmware. This section is to help you recover from a bad flash or a partial-bricked PSP.

The most common error after a custom firmware flash is the "file size of vshmain_real.prx does not match", this is simply because the flasher homebrew did not work once it was flashed. There is no need to get upset, as it can be easily fixed....well most of the time.

Option #1:
Restart your PSP with the HOLD Switch Down (ON), you will be taken you to the recovery mode of the custom firmware.

Go to -> Recovery Menu
-> Remove Custom Firmware

This will remove the custom firmware. Restart your PSP, Go to Step 2 if you want to try installing it again.

DO NOT FLASH OVER CUSTOM FIRMWARE, REMOVE IT FIRST.

Option #2:
If you cannot enter Recovery Mode and it only boots to 1.5, you must use a 2.0 eboot update and place it on your memory stick @ ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/. Run the Update. Once finished you will then need to use the 2.0 -> 1.5 MPH Downgrader.

Now you can try and re-install the custom firmware.

Bricked PSP from a bad font/gameboot/backround
Another way to partially-brick your PSP is by flashing a bad font/gameboot/backround via x-flash, PSPersonalize...etc.

"First Enter Recovery Mode by HOLD Switch Down (ON) on boot. From there enter USB Mode andf copy the index.dat [Download] that came with your custom firmware to root (ms0:/). Download the 1.5 eboot update and place it on your memory stick @ ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/. Exit USB mode."

With niether one of these work arounds possible , im stuck. Anyone have any ideas????

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 02:17
If you can still use Devhook, try emulating a 1.50 firmware and updating your firmware to 2.00.

EDIT: Actually, if you can still run Devhook try placing a 2.00 update eboot in the Devhook folder and see if that works.

Mr. Shizzy
August 11th, 2006, 02:24
If you can still use Devhook, try emulating a 1.50 firmware and updating your firmware to 2.00.

EDIT: Actually, if you can still run Devhook try placing a 2.00 update eboot in the Devhook folder and see if that works.

In wih devhook folder? the one on the root of the memory stick? Or one of the ones in the GAME folder? Thanks in advance for the info.:D

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 02:28
Well, the folder the custom firmware points to to autolaunch Devhook. Also, you may want to use a different memstick in case it doesnt work, so then you can still access the usb and Devhook etc.

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 02:29
OR, you can set the cfg file so that X launches the update eboot. :)

# Set this to the application you want to start when holding X on boot (add # to remove)
autoboot = "ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP";

Mr. Shizzy
August 11th, 2006, 02:33
OR, you can set the cfg file so that X launches the update eboot. :)

# Set this to the application you want to start when holding X on boot (add # to remove)
autoboot = "ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP";

The first trick you suggested may work. Unfortunatly I tried the second, and the psp seemd unable to update. (But it will launch anything else that way) Strange...:confused:

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 02:35
Well, to update the cfg file you must power off your psp completely (maybe take battery out too).

Mr. Shizzy
August 11th, 2006, 02:37
Well, to update the cfg file you must power off your psp completely (maybe take battery out too).

Really? Do you mean for the new settings to take effect? I didn't consider that either.

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 02:41
Ya, new settings dont take effect till you turn your PSP off completely.

Mr. Shizzy
August 11th, 2006, 02:44
Thanks. I'll try this later tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed still...

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 03:21
i am too for you... (moral support ;))

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 04:47
Ya shizzy and i stayed up all night working on it. So far we havn't figured a way to un-brick it yet. But i feel that were coming close to the answer what ever it may be. And between the 2 of us we have plenty of theorys on how to fix it. But if anyone who knows what there doing wants to help. Just PM me and we will talk. 2 heads are better than one so the more people wanting to help the better chance we find a solution to this problem. To tell ya the truth i help people everyday with little problems or getting things to work or work properly. But this is by far the worst case senario i've ever ran into and i hope everything i've learned over the years comes into play and will help us find a solution, So if you are informed on this subject and want to help just send me a PM. Thanx everyone for the ideas and please do continue with the ideas, as every little bit of help counts.

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 05:06
Did he try what I said..and if so, what happened?

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 05:20
Did he try what I said about using the devhook autolauncher to boot into IRSHELL?
Well said Jmann.
Good point about using more than one memcard to rescue $n!per,I hadn't thought about that
Seems like we are continuing our conversation about restore mode Jman.

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 07:10
Did he try what I said..and if so, what happened?

I'm not sure what did you suggest? And i guess he is out right now at work or something. But currentaly we've been using the autoloader to load apps that may just revive his psp. Good thing is we are still capable of autoloading in 1.5 . But the bad thing is we have been using apps such as xflash to try to update his psp, it appears to be updated and even finishes in xflash but still nothing. One very intresting thing he ran into when i wasn't around was he tried to autoload an update and then ran into what he described to me as a blue multi language screen??? Ring any bells? From what i can remember you ran into that screen when when you downgrade a 2.0 psp to a 1.5. So this shows some hope. Problem is he hasn't been able to make it happen again by autoloading the 2.0 update. See he didn't do anything when he saw it, If he had only pushed "O" button it just may have un-bricked his psp. But there is still a good chance of reviving the psp because from what i can tell the 1.5 firmware is not bricked completely, its more cripled now. But there just may be some things we can do to fix it. Now Noquarter you said something about ir shell? Is it possible we can run an update or reflash his psp from there?

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 07:31
Yes, I believe very possible.Although I think only the newest xflash or next version to come out is supported when run from IRSHELL.I vaguely remember something being said about xflash,so maybe the support for running from IRSHELL may solve xflash failure.Also may be necessary to try higher firmware updates I'll try and run one from IRSHELL,since you can quit before it is put into action.
Sorry for weird syntax have been up 48 hours
Maybe it's just because he has no vshmain to flash or flash to
might take a minute got to find my disk with firmware eboots

Hey guys what was his version number before it screwed up?

No go, 80020001 error:(
I'm spoofed to 9.99 though,I think I'll look at file assistant++ to try and run.
Also how about setting up to use devhook autoboot function to launch updater?

okay I set it up to autoboot to update,the memcard read for a little bit then booted to xmb??? going to change version number now.

Changed version number to 1.5
Tried to autoboot update same result,returns to xmb
Tried IRSHELL again after version spoof same result,error message

Trying 1.5 update now withversion spoof to 1.0
I was able to version spoof in IRSHELL to 1.0 going to try 1.5 update now
xflash kerrang build ver4 does work from IRSHELL!

Same result trying to boot 1.5 update from IRSHELL and autoboot

Have an Idea though.Can we kxploit a update eboot?I think this is why it won't boot from IRSHELL it doesn't support normal eboots only kxploited.
I can't do this I don't have windows,somebody with windows try to kxploit a update eboot then try to run from IRSHELL or autoboot
Unless somebody knows way to make kxploit from linux without toolchain?

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 08:44
Hold on so this may just be the solution to the problem! What we'll do is version spoof it with xflash after running it through IR Shell, This is possible because the autoloading is still working in the firmware. But remember you tired it on a fully functional psp. I hope this works. When he is on again i'll tell him what you said. SEE i knew 2 heads are better than one lol. Thanx tho great plan.

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 09:00
cool,keep me informed.This is very educational.Did you see what I said about kxploiting update?
Oh yeah I'm also going to do some experimenting with my 1.5 firmware dump I just made, through devhook(namely crippling vshmain in emulated firmware then trying to fix it, hopefully the custom firmware emulates properly)

All this flashing definitly makes me nervous,it'll be good to be able to do it in devhook if it works it may be a good safety precaution to test on dump in the future

Good night guys,I gotta get some sleep,Good talking to you Jman
GOOD LUCK SHIZZY!
Probably catch you guys when I wake up for an update:)

Oh yeah there was another thread about a partial brick tonight:(

Just noticed your back on Shizzy,I was going through the thread to see if there was anything we missed.Maybe I won't go to sleep just yet,I'm curious.

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 09:39
I'll keep you posted, and no i didn't here what you said about kxploiting update? Well you have custom firmware right? As soon as the custom firmware is installed your psp is protected from all bricks thanx to the recovery mode. But in this case for a couple of reasons it was not installed properly leading to what we ar dealing with now. But since the custom firmware has some features that are still functional, (On His PSP) its because of that that we just might be able to un-brick it.

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 09:48
I sure hope so,I decided to stay up anyway to do some searching and experimenting.Some reason my dump won't boot in devhook,gonna make sure I have reboot.bin,don't know how to make it from my firmware if I don't though....
Also did he try dumping firmware on his good psp and using to restore on friends with xflash?Gonna go search the site and do some googling be back soon
And Shizzy maybe this deserves to become an article,hopefully with a happy ending!

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 10:34
No he hasn't dumped his firmware yet. But hopefully we wont need to. =)

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 10:46
Well good night for real this time guys,and keep up the good work Jman:P

Negi
August 16th, 2006, 16:16
Uh, have you tried running the 1.50 to 1.00 downdater, then reinstall the 1.50 update thru 1.00, then install harleyg?

I had the DAX poc firmware installed and wanted to switch to harleyg, but the harleyg installer didn't have an index.dat, so I had to reinstall from vanilla 1.50. the 2.00 update wouldn't update over DAX, so I downdated then updated and installed harleyg perfectly. Try it, it might work for you.

BTW, pm me your AIM, for later.

edit: first post

tallica
August 17th, 2006, 00:28
Didint read thread at all lol /\

Negi
August 19th, 2006, 05:56
"lolol" actually, I did.

tallica
August 19th, 2006, 15:22
But hes only able to use devhook to emulate 1.5 and 2.71 and its impossible to upgrade or downgrade in devhook