PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a semi-working psp

JasonG
August 11th, 2006, 07:42
I'm having a really frustrating problem with my PSP and haven't been able to find a solution so I figure this might be a good place to check because I'm sure I'm not the only on with this problem.

The problem is my PSP will turn on but will not boot. The green light comes on and will stay on but the disk doesn't spin and the startup screen won't come up. The happens regardless if I have a battery in or if I have it plugged in with the adaptor. This just started happening out of the blue.

Today I was about to consider the system bricked and break down and buy a used one somewhere and decided to mess with it some more and got it to boot several times and loaded up a game with no problem. since it was working I figured it was fine until later on in the night after charging it up the same thing started happening where I get the green light but no start up screen at all. I tried it with the battery in, battery out, etc and I got it to start up one more time to the menu and after that it has done nothing.:(

Now I'm pretty much sure it isn't bricked since it started several times today but I'm not sure what is going on. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the switch not actually switching on the part of the PSP that boots. I'm not really sure since I don't know how it works.

I'm not really concerned about having to take it apart to fix it and possibly breaking it even more since it's out of warranty and up until today I figured it was pretty much dead so I'm willing to do that if that's what is neccesary.

Has anyone else had this problem that can help me out with a solution?

Thanks in advance.

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 08:12
Wow that's a tough one.Do you have any form of custom firmware on it?Or homebrew for that matter?Also where did you buy it?

BrooksyX
August 11th, 2006, 09:10
try to get it to start up with a game that requires a newer firmware then you have and try to upgrade it. (Prefierably 2.6 or below). Other than that i dont know. I doubt taking it apart will do anything unless there is a short somewhere or something else that has to do with the connections. But unless you are a professional I doubt you ould fix it let alone spot the problem. So I guess just try to update with a umd.

V3N0M
August 11th, 2006, 10:45
Well just email me with your problem and i'll see what i can do to help ya out. But to tell ya the truth i have my hands full helping another person with a particial bricked psp, we have been working day and night to figure out a way to un-brick it. But i feel that we are coming close to figureing it out, now if your problem is similar to the "Oh Crap..." thread then we just might be able to help you to.

JasonG
August 11th, 2006, 15:34
It has no custom firmware or homebrew on it at all. It has 2.0 and I haven't upgraded it since then. Like I said it worked a few times yesterday so it seems like the main part of the psp is not getting power since the green led will come on and stay on it's the system itself that doesn't boot. I wonder if it's like a bad connection somewhere inside. Since it won't boot it would be impossible to update it with a UMD. If I could get it to boot again the first thing I would do is update it.

I bought this from Best Buy on launch day.

E.J.
August 11th, 2006, 19:35
I guess you have tried taking the MS out when that happens?, i had a similar problem with a wrog formatted MS and the PSP would not boot unles i take out the card.

JasonG
August 11th, 2006, 19:41
Yeah I've tried taking out the battery and memory stick. I called Sony and they did some troubleshooting with me about a month ago and told me I needed to send it back but since it started working I know there is hope of fixing it.

It's like it's mocking me.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
August 11th, 2006, 23:42
when did you buy it? if u have a warrenty, they will replace. thats the same thing thats happening to my psp, but i bricked mine downgrading

JasonG
August 12th, 2006, 07:24
It is out of warranty:(

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 07:29
how long ago did you buy it?

JasonG
August 12th, 2006, 09:05
I bought it on launch day in the US. I called Sony about it when it first stopped working and they confirmed it was out of warranty but said I can ship it to them with $90 and they will send me a refurbished one. I was going to just get a used one locally for about the same price I would pay for shipping plus the $90 from Sony but it decided to start working so now I want to figure this out.

JasonG
August 13th, 2006, 19:24
Well I got it working. I took the cover off and once was off it worked everytime. I'm not sure what is going on but it has something to do with the switch. Since it's working I'm not going to dig into it any deeper for now.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:41
Probably pressure or lack of in a bad spot,everything is packed pretty tight in there.

JasonG
August 13th, 2006, 19:43
Yeah once I get the cover back on it's broken again.

Gene
August 14th, 2006, 21:11
try a different face plate. or just apply pressure around the switch while you turn it on to see if that truely is the problem.