PDA

View Full Version : SNES on DS? YES!!!!!

Qerppsmmnx
August 11th, 2006, 09:57
I've read that the specs on the DS cannot emulate SNES, this making me sad, made me discouraged. However, I was reading on Lik-sang that this guy got it to work on the Max Media Dock! And now i have too! It's cool, playing games under 2 Mb though made me a little sad, but hey, its still in development. Hopefully Snezziboy will make it work, but so far it works with SNESDS. Check it out! HAHAHAHA, as you can tell i'm excited, and its easy to do! So, if there was anyone saying otherwise, and had a good point to what they are saying, lets discuss! This is a perfect discussion point.

MetroidOnline10
August 11th, 2006, 11:53
This is impossible, you can not-get-SNES-games-on-DS. It is impossible, and if Nintendo found this out they would go loopy.:D

zeromission80
August 11th, 2006, 12:30
This is impossible, you can not-get-SNES-games-on-DS. It is impossible, and if Nintendo found this out they would go loopy.:D

No its not the virtual console should also be cross platform so that you could also play genesis turbo grafix 16 snes and nes on the ds after you pay for it and download it , an emu made from nintendo itself surely would suit the ds well of course this will never happen, but it would be nintendos answer to the psp's upcoming psone emu. I'm getting a psp just for that reason. Could you imagine an N64 emu for the ds OMG VIRTUAL GAME CANDY !!!!

MetroidOnline10
August 11th, 2006, 12:46
Yes, I can see, but why the hel lwould you want to play SNES games on DS, just wait for the Wii man, you can play it non stop then.

jojotjuh
August 11th, 2006, 14:10
because the nds is portable

actually its weird, i looked at wikipedia and it says the snes had only ~ 3.5 mhz processor. could someone tell me why the gba and ds have so much truble with it?

i mean the ds is 20x as fast with 67 Mhz!

battleroyalex
August 11th, 2006, 18:10
Yes, I can see, but why the hel lwould you want to play SNES games on DS, just wait for the Wii man, you can play it non stop then.

what a failure

DimensionT
August 11th, 2006, 18:34
The DS has trouble with it because no one's tried to make an SNES emulator for the DS. They've all just been ports of the GBA versions, which means there alot of horse power is going unused. Though, Bubble2k (author of SnezziBoy) says he'll be moving to the DS soon.

SNES on the DS is VERY possible, and I say it'll eventually play at least 90% of games perfectly. Games that use special chips like Star Fox and Star Ocean might never be playable... Super Mario RPG for instance, has a CPU in the cartrage 4 times bigger then the one in the SNES. Which the DS might not be able to handle, but you never know!

Why would I want to play SNES games on the Wii when I can just play them on my PC? Unless the Wii has a built in screen and can fit in my pocket, that seems kind of pointless.

kawaii
August 11th, 2006, 18:43
because the nds is portable

actually its weird, i looked at wikipedia and it says the snes had only ~ 3.5 mhz processor. could someone tell me why the gba and ds have so much truble with it?

i mean the ds is 20x as fast with 67 Mhz!

erm if Im not misstaken (which I might be) SNES had 8mhz and NDS has 88mhz

basicly 11 times the power, and a whole lot more ram.

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 19:05
snes cpu= 3.58 mhz (according to wikipedia)
ds top screen cpu= 67 mhz

DimensionT
August 11th, 2006, 19:07
Not sure if you guys knew this or not, but SnezziDS/SnesDS don't run entirly on CPU the way emulators for the PSP do. The way the DS and GBA handle 2D is similar to the Snes, which makes it possible to use video memory to display the emulator.

Think of it as being the same difference when running emulators on the PC just using the processor, as apposed to running it with a video card installed. Albeit on a much smaller scale.

E.J.
August 11th, 2006, 19:41
isn't just matter of MHz, when you are emulating another system you need to emulate not only the main processor but the memory management and any other chips (like the ones used for sound) so 67Mhz suddenly become not enough, is the same for the memory because yo need to keep there the code and and stuff of the emu plus the memory space of the emulated system and avoid making it a mess...

jojotjuh
August 11th, 2006, 21:07
thanks for all the explaining :)

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 21:26
i never knew that. i guess you learn something new everyday :)

DimensionT
August 11th, 2006, 22:08
you need to emulate not only the main processor but the memory management and any other chips (like the ones used for sound)

That's why you emulate sound on the CPU for the second screen, which gives you an extra 33mhz.

dongle
August 12th, 2006, 00:08
that opens up a huge can of sync-ing worms.

DimensionT
August 12th, 2006, 05:22
I've only seen a couple games with sound sync problems between SnesDS/SnezziDS, and both of them use the second CPU for sound.

Games that don't use anything special (like HDMA and Mode 7) but have problems with sound syncing, should be able to use the memory gained by not using the effects to fix the issue.

Stuff like Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean will most likely never work completely because they use special GFX chips AND larger then normal sound chips. Which is why I say Snes on DS will probably be around 90% at it's peak

Qerppsmmnx
August 12th, 2006, 20:59
It's all just a matter of time, but why are the only games that work under 2 mb? It's probably simple, but i would like to know.

DimensionT
August 13th, 2006, 00:20
Donkey Kong Country is playable on both emulators, and it's a 4MB game.

Qerppsmmnx
August 13th, 2006, 03:19
Ooh! i was unaware, Thats awesome!

vtd@.//
September 4th, 2006, 06:45
how do i get this thing working??? i got mmd and a 512 mb sandisk ultra cf card. However i can only get to the point where it loads and the bottom screen says "no roms found" errr.... pls someone help me.....

metroplex2k7
September 4th, 2006, 19:29
My question is: When you run SNESds, and you load the game to be patched or whatever, what about all that stuff that can be checked or unchecked on the right side. Does any of that help with compatibility?

knuxthefox
October 24th, 2007, 00:55
isn't just matter of MHz, when you are emulating another system you need to emulate not only the main processor but the memory management and any other chips (like the ones used for sound) so 67Mhz suddenly become not enough, is the same for the memory because yo need to keep there the code and and stuff of the emu plus the memory space of the emulated system and avoid making it a mess...

To this date, the PSP is still having trouble emulating the SNES. The DS and GBA can do it because they are of similar architecture as that of the SNES. It's like playing a DOS game on Windows. The PSP is entirely different architecture, and programmers are still trying to figure out how to properly emulate an SNES on that architecture. You see, with an emulator to work, you must make it think it is that system. PSP isn't anywhere near as close as DS.

ICE
October 24th, 2007, 01:12
People stop bumping old threads!!!!!!!!!!!!

DanTheManMS
October 24th, 2007, 03:26
In addition to the huge gravedig, it's general consensus that the SNES emulators for the PSP are better than those for the DS. While the DS may have 60 fps with no frameskip for most games, it does have many graphical glitches you don't find in SNES9X for the PSP.

Shrygue
October 24th, 2007, 20:07
My God, this thread dates back to last year - it's time for LOCKDOWN!