PDA

View Full Version : Best program to convert CDI to ISO

t3g
August 2nd, 2010, 01:24
I know there are plenty of programs that can burn CDI files, but I'm looking for a way to future proof the images files by putting them in the ISO format and not relying on a proprietary format. Preferably to be free and or open source but if its a well respected program, then more the better.

Also I want to make sure that it keeps the CDI features intact like the proper booting without a separate boot disc.

BlueCrab
August 2nd, 2010, 03:06
I know there are plenty of programs that can burn CDI files, but I'm looking for a way to future proof the images files by putting them in the ISO format and not relying on a proprietary format. Preferably to be free and or open source but if its a well respected program, then more the better.

Also I want to make sure that it keeps the CDI features intact like the proper booting without a separate boot disc.What kind of CDI image are you trying to burn (i.e, what program)? Most of the time, its easier to build up an image yourself if you're adept with things like mkisofs (or whatever its called now...) than to bother with trying to convert things.

JLF65
August 2nd, 2010, 03:25
ISO is merely a single session consisting entirely of a single data track. DC images are (usually) in CDI format because they consist of TWO sessions, one of which may be an audio track. Your real choices here are CDI or Nero format. ISO won't cut it.

t3g
August 7th, 2010, 21:32
So you are basically saying by design the ISO format is stuck where it is and even programs like cdi2iso (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/cdi2iso/) or UltraISO (http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm) will not fully make an ISO with the sessions?

The reason I am asking this is just in case I want to archive my Dreamcast games and 10 years down the road if I need to burn a disc I can burn with any program and keep the properties and not rely on the propietary DiskJuggler program or format.

BlueCrab
August 7th, 2010, 22:54
Backing up games, no matter how pure the intent, is against the rules here. Not only that, but it appears, since you have CDI files, that you're downloading the games from the internet, not simply backing them up from your own media. That is certainly against the rules here.

As JLF65 said, because of the odd formatting, you'll never be able to make a standards-compliant ISO file. You'd have to use something that supports more complex formatting.

And... since this is already stuff that's against the rules...

TOPIC LOCKED