PDA

View Full Version : Sony's first Blu-ray drive gets rap for not playing flicks

wraggster
August 12th, 2006, 11:01
And we've been griping about Blu-ray delays in the good ol' USofA. Looks like the folks Down Under have it way worse, since Sony has just released their BWU-100A internal PC drive for reading and writing Blu-ray discs in Australia, 'cept supposedly the thing can't actually manage to play back is Blu-ray movies. Apparently they're blaming the lack of HDCP-compliant graphics cards, and the fact that there isn't any retail software that can play Blu-ray movies, just the OEM version of Intervideo WinDVD BD that ships with Sony's VAIO AR laptop -- assuming of course, that your Blu-ray content requires HDCP to begin with. That would make us wonder why Sony can't just bundle that same software with the BWU-100A, but we're clearly thinking with the addled mind of a consumer. If we were smarter, we'd realise the logic behind releasing products so saddled with rights management that they can't even play back the media they were built for. Luckily, Sony says they're optimistic about resolving both issues soon, and that for now the device is still 100% functional for storage (hooray), and can play back your own home-burnt movies as well (as well as Blu-ray flicks that are HDCP-free). All this can be yours, you lucky Australian you, for a mere AU$1,399, or about $1,075 US.

NoQuarter
August 12th, 2006, 11:16
shows sony's deep lack of forthought,hopefully we don't have a rash of hardware problems with the first version of ps3

SSaxdude
August 12th, 2006, 12:58
I remember seeing a Sony computer that had a Blu-Ray drive at Best Buy. It cost $2500.

NoQuarter
August 12th, 2006, 13:06
Woah! little too rich for my blood.I payed $200 for my laptop
I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for my ps3.

SSaxdude
August 12th, 2006, 16:31
I suggest selling your soul. I hear they're in high demand now.

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 16:38
Damn, over $1000 for a non-working Blu-ray reader/burner. Wow, I hope this isn't the winning video format because I can't afford it. :(

stotheamuel
August 12th, 2006, 20:13
dvds wont become like vhs for 5-7 years dude... by then blu-ray and hd dvd will be well under 200$

also you dont have to be an early adopter technofile? do u

ps: the sad thing is. by the time we can even tell which one "won" they will be much cheaper as well

donne
August 14th, 2006, 09:45
Almost any product / technology came pricy. Look at MP3 player.. Digital Camera.. PC Processor.. Graphic Cards.. Handphone.. Etc.. And how much was a first-batch CD-R burner anyway ?

Don't worry about it too much. And don't sell your soul.

PS : What kind of Laptop priced US$ 200 ??

ACID
August 14th, 2006, 10:18
Yeah i was going to ask the same thing my laptop was well over 2000 usd so id like to buy one for 200 where did you get it. No Quarter