PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - Are the Days of Homebrew Numbered ?

wraggster
August 5th, 2010, 01:09
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/images/logo.gif

Hi all we are all mostly gaming fans so heres DCEmus way of asking you the DCEmu visitors questions concering the Gaming scene.

Todays Question is Are the Days of Homebrew Numbered ? - The recent win in the courts in the UK by Nintendo mean that Flash Carts for the DS are illegal overhere, if this catches on throughout the world are the days of homebrew numbered, if so would you consider switching to an open console such as Pandora, Dingoo and GP2x Wiz ?

Give your Answer via Comments.

More DCEmu asks in the Off Topic Forum (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=46)

symbal
August 5th, 2010, 02:26
Homebrew might stagnate on some consoles, Xbox 1 & Psp(almost) but all you need is a new console to peak the interest of homebrew developers and it will always kick off again.

FireStag
August 5th, 2010, 05:33
Homebrew might stagnate on some consoles, Xbox 1 & Psp(almost) but all you need is a new console to peak the interest of homebrew developers and it will always kick off again.

Like the PSP2 or the 3DS, It would probably be really hard, but some 3D homebrew would be pretty sweet.

Kaiser
August 5th, 2010, 06:32
Well we should be used to this by now. Console manufacturers in their never ending battle to eliminate piracy on their respective systems has always unintentionally (or indifferently) effected the homebrew scene. But whatever the case people always figure ways around things, that's the beautiful and terrifying thing about technology.

The homebrew scene on its way out? My (now legally) jailbroken iPhone 4 says otherwise.

Eviltaco64
August 5th, 2010, 06:33
As I see activity decline more and more, I begin to wonder if homebrew activity has gone down because the economy is tanking. Surely, a lot of people devoted to hacking and creating homebrew for consoles must be busy trying to find or maintain a job.

Homebrew will always be. Perhaps it won't be mainstream, perhaps it won't be incredibly popular, but it will always have communities somewhere within the many pockets of the internet.

JDvorak
August 5th, 2010, 23:06
People get bored so when a new console or handheld comes out you see a surge of homebrew and ports to that system. Will it die, not likely in the foreseeable future!

vtd@.//
August 6th, 2010, 17:55
No way! the homebrew will live on forever! when I first came here it was the mid 2000s and I was interested in DS homebrew scene which was awesome! after that I got into the psp scene which has been awesome ever since. Maybe we need new handhelds or homebrew on the 360 and ps3 like DC! =) I plan on getting an open source handheld for homebrew as well! I dunno which one yet though. Maybe the GP2X Caanoo or Pandora.

cdoty
November 13th, 2010, 06:05
It will become harder to get homebrew running on the newer systems. The companies are quickly learning from their earlier mistakes.

And, homebrew for classic systems is also decreasing. There are too many other options out there for people wanting to develop games; flash, iPhone, Android, etc.